Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenants rights...Landlord has headed off to Spain until April and ...

Options
  • 15-12-2006 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭

We've been tryign to contact him for weeks now with issues in the house.
    - TV doesn't work
    - Window's are very drafty
    - need a new key as it's a security lock and he's the only one who can get a replacement.

We contacted the Management agent and she called him directly in Spain.
    And to her amusement he replied to her on the phone..
    "They can make do with one key between them and if they don't like it that know what they can do..." interesting seeing as we've never had an issue with the house before and have always paid the rent on time ?

So my question is if he refuses to fix the issues am I within my rights to fix them myself and take the money out of the rent ?
    Many thanks,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Afuera

So my question is if he refuses to fix the issues am I within my rights to fix them myself and take the money out of the rent ?
    Many thanks,

Technically, you would need his permission to do this first.

You should refer this matter to the PRTB as they will have a lot more clout to force the landlord to resolve the issues you've described.

In this day and age, I don't think we need absentee landlords like this, who don't give a damn about their own responsiblities.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

the management agent, ideally, can do it because the locksmiths would know them or can agree to allow you to do it and withhold the rent to the sum of

....well maybe not the windows . Tape them up , feck it.

is he ptrb registered?? they will advise for free anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

The Management agency said they require his permission ? And he won't give them it..thanks guys I'll ring the PRTB.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

i'd say thats well within grounds / your rights for breaking the lease let alone fixing the problem and taking it out of the rent

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

.... if they don't like it that know what they can do...

Yes, of course you know what you can do. You can 1) check that you are getting your rental tax credit - if not claim for it, you will not need his RSI number or PPS number, whatever it's called these days; and 2) contact the PRTB for advice as a tenant.

He sounds like a less than professional landlord to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The Management agency said they require his permission ? And he won't give them it..thanks guys I'll ring the PRTB.
    Good advice from Spongebob. Let us know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Why not just move out?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

probably because moving house is a total and utter hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

What do the PRTB say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

My understanding would be you have little rights on this.
    The TV not working is very unlikely an issue you can complain about much as it is a luxury item and would need to be listed as a item on your lease. Is it listed? Even if it is I don't think you will be entitled to much and the issue of what is wrong with it and if you are the cause or just normal wear and tear

The windows being drafty doesn't mean much either. You could ask for them to be replaced but not entitled to it. Unless there has been damage that has caused the problem. Then depending on whether you caused the damage or it is due to normal wear an tear.

The key issue is maybe your only point worthy of any stance but then again how many keys were you given? The landlord I assume didn't lose the keys so it is something you would have to pay for. I am guessing he may have some rights about tennants being careful with keys. In therory he can charge you to repalce the locks in the entire place too as you have comparamised the security of the property.

In saying that I would expect the landlord to provide a better service. I would not fix anything as you don't have the right to alter a property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Thanks guys the problem is we will pay for the keys to be replaced and the lock but he says NO ...get by with two.
    So what we are planning to do is say to the landlord the girl has moved out as she can't access the property and now we can't rent the room as there's no key...
    Seems like the only solution at the present time.
    What a scumbag he is...especially at Christmas eh ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You should also contact Threshold as well as the PRTB, as they have lots of experience with such things. It really does seem to me like he's being a shoddy landlord.

Whatever you do, don't withhold money from the rent, that actually detracts from your standing. Deal with the management company as well as the landlord in a professional manner, get everything in writing.

Advertisement