Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet

Options
  • 15-12-2006 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭

Hi Guys, was thinking of getting Magnet in.

€52 per month for 4Mb line (100 Gb cap) and phone line rental. Is this good?

Has anyone got good/bad experience with them?

Do they have P2P restrictions?

Thanks for any help you could give.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

It all seems grand so far. Customer service was very good also which is rare.
    I was an Eircom customer for a few years and had Smart for voice.
    When the smart had problems Eircom cut me off from voice and also cut their own BB off.
    After I got the line reconnected which took 5 days, Eircom then told me my line didn't pass the BB test anymore and I couldn't order until it did.

The big advantage of Magnet was that they were able to take my word for it that the line was good and just proceed with the order.
    Person from Magnet also called me back which is a big plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

yip i also found the willingness of them tio ring and not at all be afraid of actually speaking with customers, and if there is a problem they are honest about the reason. big thumbs up on that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Kenpo

Thanks for the help guys.

Do you know if they have P2P restrictions?

Thanks again

an employee stated on his blog that they dont block or restrict any ports, however the only thing that is done is some minor filtering of common windows ports for trojans etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Kenpo

Great, thanks JNive.

Looks like Magnet is my new ISP.

Thanks for the help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Hi there,

Sorry for hacking this thread but how are pings with Magnet? Better/worse than BT? I'm just wondering because I've just reconnected my Eircom phone line and am now in the process of looking for an ISP. But I'm looking for an ISP with proper pings for online gaming! I don't really care about download speeds and caps. I just want something stable and reliable!

Thank you in advance for your help!

Nobody told me Magnet was running on ADSL2+ with a contention ratio of 1:1! I thought they were just Eircom resellers like BT! Rang them and subscribed straight away! :D

lol, thats why it pays to read up on things lol. The cap on yoru service is 100GB with an overage of 50c per GB as opposed to eircoms EUR30 per GB ( if they decide to charge that is )

JNive wrote:
    lol, thats why it pays to read up on things lol.
    I'll be doing that a lot more from now on! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭far2gud

If you pay the line rental how does this affect your local telephone charges? Are you then on Magnets phone rates? and if so how does this compare to bt prices.

• Advertisement
Advertisement