Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youth Centre Home Cinema

Options
  • 15-12-2006 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi folks, I was asked to help in setting a cinema system in a new youth centre and was thinking to myself a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. I understand most of the technology but still could do with some advice. Basically what we want is a system that also connects up to a PC. In all we need a screen/TV a DVD and video player and also a power pc. The Power PC is no problem but not sure what to do in regards to the TV/screen. Should we go projector or Plasma. LCD is out as we need a large screen, 60" +.

Also the cost, where can we get the best value and does anyone know the best wholesaler or distributor of consumer electronics.

Thanks for your help and feel free to ask any questions or make suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

well, a projector would probably be your best bet as its much cheaper for the size, and nearly all will have both vga connector for the pc as well as hdmi or component for the dvd player as well as scart for normal tv or video.
    Since you want to use it for pc aplications, make sure it has a suitable high resolution anything from 800x600 will be fine,but it may also desirable to go for a 16x9 widescreen projector so films will be at their best.
    you will be able use a screen size of about 60 inches up to 120 inches, depending on how far back you set up the projector,
    another advantage is that with a projector, you can mount it on the ceiling, or on a floor stand , if you use a floor stand, then you can easily lock the projector away securly when its not in use.
    Of course, the main drawback is that you will need to buy replacment bulbs every year or so depending on how much use it gets, but if you buy on-line then it should not cost too much(150euro to 300 app).

Something like this may be a good projector to start with, but i'm sure you can get it cheaper if you shop around as peats are not renowned for their low prices.
    http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/test_new/catalog.cgi?view_product=1&id=9906&sid=10&cid=123&scid=4121

It does all the basics you need and is good value,and is a good brand name with all the inputs you need, and you can always call in for a demonstration

At the other end of the scale is this
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=326377
    dearer, but has a high resolution of 1280x720 with a pc,(which does make a big difference) and has very good high defination picture, amazing for movies or xbox360. (i have it at home bolted to my ceiling)

It depends on how much you are willing to spend, both will do the job and connect to everything you need, you can easily get a big 120" screen on ebay,new from a shop for 200 to 300 euro,

You can connect the pc using the standard vga cable, or a dvi to hdmi, depending on what graphics card you have in the pc

Advertisement