Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exam Repeats, etc.

Options
  • 15-12-2006 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭

Right so basically I without a doubt failed calculus, the module is repeated in the second semester, and iirc I was told at the beginning of the year I'd be able to repeat it if I didn't do well. I've been asking around and everyone seems to have a different answer...

1) I can't repeat the module.
    2) I can repeat the module provided I pay like a grand in repeat fees
    3) I can simply repeat the winter exam in the summer along with the rest of the modules I'm doin.
    4) I'm a failure

Now I'm willing to take number four on board but does anyone know what exactly the story is with repeats, failing an exam etc, cuz apparantly there's a whole new system being brought in to do with it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Eh I think 3 is the closest answer. You'll prob have to pay some fee to resit the exam. I think if you do it that way the exam will count for 100%, but no matter what you get you are capped at the pass mark, 40% in most cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

thanks, yeah, I got 45% in the midterm, but have gotten 8's, 9's, 10's in the tutorials, so I really don't know what way it's gonna swing.,..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Le Rack wrote:
    thanks, yeah, I got 45% in the midterm, but have gotten 8's, 9's, 10's in the tutorials, so I really don't know what way it's gonna swing.,..
    I'm pretty sure you have to pass the exam or you fail the module anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

If the rest of your results are decent enough, and you seem to have done ok in the continuous assessment, then you may pass by compensation if you narrowly fail the module. Don't let it get you down anyway, the exam is done and concentrate on any that are left, you can worry about it when you see the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

abelard wrote:
    If the rest of your results are decent enough, and you seem to have done ok in the continuous assessment, then you may pass by compensation if you narrowly fail the module. Don't let it get you down anyway, the exam is done and concentrate on any that are left, you can worry about it when you see the results.

Ok, now assuming there's absolutely no chance of passing by compensation what happens? I'm still only in 1st year and it's a minor that I despise and will definetely be changing in the second semester, but will I have to repeat this exam in summer or what, I haven't seen anything regarding this.

• Advertisement

Enlil_Nick wrote:
    Ok, now assuming there's absolutely no chance of passing by compensation what happens? I'm still only in 1st year and it's a minor that I despise and will definetely be changing in the second semester, but will I have to repeat this exam in summer or what, I haven't seen anything regarding this.
    I'm pretty much in the same boat as you!

My lecturer said summit at the start of the year about me being able to repeat the module in second sem if I don't do well in it but no one else seems to know anything about that....

Enlil_Nick wrote:

Eh u wud have to repeat in in the summer unless it's one of your electives in which case I think you can take a different one instead, though you could be liable for fees. Best place to ask is your programme office

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

with the who and the what now?

NO NO NO, not true in basically all cases unless it is specified otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

dajaffa wrote:
    NO NO NO, not true in basically all cases unless it is specified otherwise.

takk fúck

• Advertisement

emm...so if the booklet says you have to take two math modules in the year does that mean you have to pass em??? or just do em....

Advertisement