Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silent running....

Options
  • 15-12-2006 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭

sorry couldnt resist the reference.

Anyway, I'm settin gup a PC to use as a media type centre thing in the sitting room. I was originally going to go with an ITX type machine with a USB connector for an external drive and a wireless network connection.

However, i have in my hands an old (but still working) ATX P4 2.4 in a LANboy case. Thing is, the PSU and the 120mm fan are very loud.

How good are the antec "finned" PSUs? surely a fan is still required nearby to extract the heat it radiates?

any recommendations on a 120mm fan that runs quietly and has a decent life expectancy (the current fan was silent for about 5 days when I built the PC first).

might still go the ITX route at some stage in the future....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Akasa's Amber quiet series of fan are something I would recommend I use two of them in my PC only output 18db(a)

This is the 120mm version.

No idea about the Antec PSU or how effective they are. If in the market for a new PSU Quiet PC sell a range of speciality PSU's that might be worth checking out a lot of them use thermally sensitive fans so the fan only spins up when it needs to.

Seasonic & Tagan are generally quiet in operation as well which can be found on Komplett.

Advertisement