Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Nally thread in AH

Options
  • 15-12-2006 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭

I'd just like to mention one of several Padraig Nally threads that have popped up in AH, and been either closed and locked or sent to the recycle bin. Its fairly clear that this is an important issue that a lot of people want to talk about, but there seems to be a concerted effort to suppress any and all discussion of it, for whatever reason. Is there another forum more suited to it than AH, maybe?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

I'm not supressing disucssion of it. I gave the discussion of this issue a fair chance, but it was very obvious from the thread that people were unable to discuss this in a civil manner. It was rather pathetic. Feel free to discuss it in the recycle bin, the thread is not locked there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Its fairly clear that this is an important issue that a lot of people want to talk about, but there seems to be a concerted effort to suppress any and all discussion of it, for whatever reason.
    There is a thread running in Politics. Most of the AH posters won't want to go there though, what with the rules and conduct and stuff that they feel they can generally get away with in AH.

sjones, I thought you had retired the mantel? How much did they have to dope you up to get you back? :)

sjones, I thought you had retired the mantel? How much did they have to dope you up to get you back? :)

Hah! I was waiting to see how long it would be before someone asked that. :) They drugged me, bastards. :(

How are ya getting on these days dude? Still in Tralee/Kilarney?

Sorry to go off topic!

FYP design docs due up today, just wasting time here while watching the clock tick away :)

Eek, I don't miss that stuff at all!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

sjones wrote:
    I'm not supressing disucssion of it. I gave the discussion of this issue a fair chance, but it was very obvious from the thread that people were unable to discuss this in a civil manner. It was rather pathetic. Feel free to discuss it in the recycle bin, the thread is not locked there.
    I tried, I was unable to post. I'll look up the politics one so. Might I suggest that a sticky be put up in AH for a day or two since people won't know where to look to find it, and will probably end up starting a few more threads? Thanks.

Check out the one in Politics. Have a read through it before replying... it's actually a very interesting thread. Sorry that a few people had to go and ruin the discussion on After Hours but that's the way it goes I guess. I'll create a sticky now. Cheers. :)

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

A topic such as this gives rise to a lot of flaming and trolling. I think that's when the threads get locked. There's no problem with discussion of it, it's just quite emotive, so maybe there needs to be a reminder every so often that people shouldn't get over-excited.

A topic such as this gives rise to a lot of flaming and trolling. I think that's when the threads get locked. There's no problem with discussion of it, it's just quite emotive, so maybe there needs to be a reminder every so often that people shouldn't get over-excited.

Despite several reminders people still got too over-excited, which was the problem. I'm all for discussing it in a civil manner, which is why it's open for discussion in Politics now. The topic is not the problem, it's how people compose themselves. Seriously, if these people were talking about this issue in person, be it in a class, pub, house or whatever then they would not (I hope) get so worked up about it. The amount of work required to moderate a thread such as this in AH outweighs the benefit of having the thread there in the first place. It's in Politics, for discussion in a sane manner and I really think this is the best way to go. The thread in Politics is actually a very good read, some people really are making great points both for and against what has happened.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Apologies, I wasn't referring to AH in particular, just Nally/Ward discussion in general. I agree with the ban in AH per se.

• Advertisement

No need to apologise mate! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Emm sorry but i still don't understand something, there was several topics on nally ye thats wrong everyone knows that but i pm`ed you and you didn't answer sjones.....

Why did you lock the thread with the poll?
    could it not have just been merged with the thread that had over 160 replies?
    noone wants to read 160 posts so merging the 2 threads made ALLOT more sense as a poll would let you see what the general view is, i mean when i was in work today i did not have time to read 160+ posts but i would have liked to see and vote in a poll on this without wasting 30+ mins reading 9+ pages and over 160 posts?
    i guess why i went here to post was the fact that you actually ignored my pm which is more annoying than anything relay.

Also Is there a way of having a topic locked but the poll open?

Also Is there a way of having a topic locked but the poll open?
    No, because that would be retarded.

No, because that would be retarded.

How so?

Whats the point of having an open poll with no discussion?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

BTW Polls are disabled in Politics so there will be none there either.

Oh I see a few have been banned from the Politics thread already. Remember to read the charter before posting, have a nice day :)

Whats the point of having an open poll with no discussion?

The problem was people where posting multiple threads and being offensive and crap like that
    a poll in a locked topic would allow for people to see what everyone else thinks without the discussion that the topic was locked for.

It makes perfect sense

User45701 wrote:
    The problem was people where posting multiple threads and being offensive and crap like that
    a poll in a locked topic would allow for people to see what everyone else thinks without the discussion that the topic was locked for.

It makes perfect sense
    Not on a discussion board, it doesn't. Its not "now you're voting", is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

I got banned for expressing my opinion on this in the AH thread. Power - crazy mods again.

Power crazy, my hole. There were warnings against the language used since that thread originally opened - in 2005. If thats not enough for you to take stock I don't know what is.

• Advertisement

The word 'knacker' is used on a daily basis on boards to desribe scumbags.. but when its used to describe travellers? OMG RACISM!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Lorax wrote:
    The word 'knacker' is used on a daily basis on boards to desribe scumbags.. but when its used to describe travellers? OMG RACISM!!
    I see no point in defending another mod's position on this, or my own - it would be a waste of time, my nigga'.

Look up 'context'.

Yeah I think the mod who banned me should look up context I actually was using the word knacker to describe scumbags who break into peeps homes

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Lorax wrote:

Lorax wrote:
    Yeah I think the mod who banned me should look up context I actually was using the word knacker to describe scumbags who break into peeps homes

... surrre.

Perhaps you could have better shown that by, oh I don't know, choosing a different word. There are books out there that offer suggestions for other words that mean the same thing when you can think of only the one, you know. Idea for a Christmas present, that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Lorax wrote:
    I got banned for expressing my opinion on this in the AH thread. Power - crazy mods again.

And just when I was going to give you the benefit of the doubt and unban. You knew well what you were doing, end of story.

Ah well.. see yas in 2 weeks so

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Ah boards.ie resident whinger strikes again :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

So yeah....
    I was thinking we need a best whinger of boards award.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Lorax wrote:
    Perhaps you should have prefixed your post by saying you were writing in Loraxian rather then English. It will stop these unfortunate misunderstandings....

DeV.

Advertisement