Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wildlife in Dublin

Options
  • 15-12-2006 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Anyone know of wildlife in the Dublin area that would attack rabbits, aside from foxes. Something around the same size of a rat mannaged to kill my rabbit and from what I've heard rats don't do this (could be wrong).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭colmranger

Cats kill rabbits, think there are 3 cats in Dublin for every human in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

My cat is a prolific wild rabbit killer. So that may be your answer, colmranger is correct.
    Rabbit food sold in pet shops seems to attract rats. I know of a few occasions where it has happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Cats, dogs..if they can get in to your garden, mink etc.
    Rabbits housing needs to be secure from predators and the only way is really to have them in a house esp. in winter with the darker days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Stoats, ferrets, mink, cat, rats, dogs, - rats can & will kill a rabbit especially if there is more than one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Loose ferret perhaps? or mink if your near water. It would depend on what part of Dublin you are in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bionic_rooster

OC87 wrote:
    Anyone know of wildlife in the Dublin area that would attack rabbits, aside from foxes. Something around the same size of a rat mannaged to kill my rabbit and from what I've heard rats don't do this (could be wrong).

Hi oc87,
    first of all i have never heard of rats killing rabbits it that was the case we would have no wild rabbits, if its not a cat it most likely a loose ferret in your area, it could be a mink or a stoat or a wesel, where they killed in the hutch or outside in the garden, if in the garden it could have been a buzzard as i have seen a lot of them around the blanchardstown area.

Edit: Bionic rooster, please read the charter. There is to be no talk of how to kill, maim and / or trap any animal, on this forum.

B

Advertisement