Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long hall flight - recomended reading

Options
  • 15-12-2006 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭

Im going to be heading over to OZ next week for a holiday. Im doing 2 back to back 12 hour flights to get there. Im going to pick up some TPB's to keep me entertained on the way. Im looking for suggestions from anyone on some stuff that might keep me going im probably going to spend about 100 - 150 euro on a few different titles.

In the last few months ive read all the major Batman graphic novels, Sandman (most of them), Ultimates 1 and 2, young avengers, some Daredevil, Watchmen, good chunk of sin city, Astonishing xmen.

I was thinking id pick up the first few volumes of Y the last man and maybe Runaways if I can find it. Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Y: The last man is a great read, you could also try the first few Transmetropolitan tpbs (i suggest checking out vol 2 "Lust for life" to start off - if you like the look of that, you'll very likely enjoy the rest of the series). Ellis's run on Stormwatch was a good read, though I raced through them so not sure how much value for money you might get. Hellblazer or 100 Bullets would also be worth a look since there are a good few tpbs available. (Start at the beginning with 100 Bullets though, otherwise you'll get lost fairly quickly...)

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭the Shades

100 Bullets will always be my most recommended reading. Fables isn't a bad read but may be an aqcuired taste for some. For a groovy different take on superheroes FootSoldiers is great if you can find it. I would also recommend Bone, a charming series from start to finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭spooydermot

your gonna have a hard time filling 24 hours worth of flying, but i suppose theres in-flight movies (last time I flew I got the second Pirates of the caribbean movie) and the ocasional snooze...;)

I've one this a couple of times coming back from the states, once i stocked up on 2 weeks of releasesand flew back with them sitting on the chair beside me...easy time...i cannot put into words how much I have the tedium of flying, I don't envy you.....

...anyways....

I'd recommed Preacher and Transmetropolitan , a few TPBs of each

Superman: Birthright is a great read too..springs to mind cause I saw it sitting on my shelf today.

You mentioned you'd read most of the major Batman tpb's, was 'Return of the Dark Knight' in there?

how about kingdom come?
    I'm so jealous though...150 euro earmarked to spend on graphc novels.....and I suppose Australia is pretty cool too....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

You mentioned you'd read most of the major Batman tpb's, was 'Return of the Dark Knight' in there?

how about kingdom come?
    I'm so jealous though...150 euro earmarked to spend on graphc novels.....and I suppose Australia is pretty cool too....

Yeah ive read return of the dark knight alright. I might try Kingdom Come as well. The genral consensus seems to be Preacher, Y the last man and 100 bullets so im gonna check these out. Thanks for your replys.

Kingdom Come ain't great, it's alright but nothing spectacular. I also found Preacher got tired really fast with the same jokes all the time, Ennis is like that though so if you like his other stuff you'll probably enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

just to throw something totally different out there how about Maus by Art Spiegelman? An amazing graphic novel and would be a chanage of pace if your picking up mainly superhero, flashy bright colour books. or look out for some of the great travel comics out there as your going on a trip Peter kuper did a great one as did Craig Thompson [i don't rec his graphic novel Blankets cus even thou its a hefty 600 page book its actually a really quick read and you'll be done in 30mins] Alison Bechdel's new grahpic novel Fun Home is a good read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

the Shades wrote:
    Kingdom Come ain't great, it's alright but nothing spectacular. I also found Preacher got tired really fast with the same jokes all the time, Ennis is like that though so if you like his other stuff you'll probably enjoy it.

Holy god man. Kingdome Come is one of the most impressive things ive ever seen. Preacher is one of the greatest comic runs of the last....Forever!

bombidol wrote:
    Holy god man. Kingdome Come is one of the most impressive things ive ever seen. Preacher is one of the greatest comic runs of the last....Forever!

Do you branch out beyond Garth Ennis and superhero comics much? Just curious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Of course I do. I'm a huge advocate of 100 Bullets, YTLM, Fables, The Maxx, Alan Moore stuff, Sandman etc. As well as old stuff like The 'Nam (Bought the 1st issue on ebay the other day!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

OP if you liked Sandman maybe you could check out the Lucifer series, I haven't read sandman so I dont know if the two are very alike but I understand Lucifer was a character in sandman.

• Advertisement
Advertisement