Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf tournament late 80's/ early 90's....

• 15-12-2006 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭

Can someone shed some light on this for me;

the Christmas Jumper Comp we're running tomorrow night at Shakedown has brought back memories of some event in the late 80's or early 90's at Waterford Golf Club. I saw the most horrendous jumper worn by Ronnie Corbett that made the 5ft man look like a giant bumble bee. But I also remember Terry Wogan, Hale & Pace and a load of other celebrities playing some sort of golf tournament up there.

Does anyone remember what it was for and when it took place?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

Twas the Terry Wogan Classic and the team that won it was Jerry O Conner a member up in Waterford and Gordan Banks the English Goal Keeper in the 1966 world cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭lukemusiklab

And I'm guessing it was for charity? Any particular reason why it was on in Waterford and any idea of the year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

A man whos surname was lynch from waterford was involved in a charity that terry wogan supports and he managed to bring it to the club I was only four at the time. ALL the big british tv peronalities were at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

I know a few people up in the Waterford Golf Club. I'll check it out for you. More than likely there would be a picture in the club house somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭kilkennycat2004

Was at that event. I remember meeting from the World of football Ossie Ardiles, Keith Burkenshaw, John Giles & Eoin Hand.
    Was a great event with all the celebrities staying in the nearby Jury's Hotel and yes it was brought to Waterford by ex Blues footballer Mick Lynch.

• Advertisement
Advertisement