Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

system restore

• 15-12-2006 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭

hello
    wonder could you help me out with an answer to a question.

the system restore program does not work on my pc. pc is a dell dimension 4300 running windows xp. used to work when it was new. was not an issue up to now but got broadband and hope to download stuff and system restore would be handy if something goes wrong

when i try the program by picking a restore point, it seems to go through all it should do and then restarts ok but when the system restore screen comes back on it says"your computer cannot be restored to" whatever date i had picked. have created restore points myself and tried to restore to those dates but still the same.

the only odd thing is just as the pc shuts down before restarting sometimes i get a message that says "the application has failed because the computer is shutting down"
    any help appreciated. shovel

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

Download spybot sd,ad aware, avg antivirus do full system scan.You may have a virus or spyware that damaged your registry.ANY dell pc from 2003 approx onwards, has dell system restore built in ,has copy of winxp plus applications in a hidden partition drive c:\ .Look at dell.ie ,customer support, it has all the info on the 4300 ,system recovery,etc.IT might be worth reinstalling windows,if you have all the applications ,cdroms stored away from when you got the pc.OR go to safe mode,does restore work in safe mode,boot ,hold down f8 key.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

You System Restore points must have been corrupted somehow. You might have to just System Restore off/on again but you'll lose the restore points. Have you got anti virus and anti-spyware software running?

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭shovel

thanks for the replies.
    running norton internet security 2006 with automatic updates. i do full system scan twice a week. downloaded spybot search and destroy and ran same. it picked up some stuff but made no difference to system restore prob.
    i understand from the avg website that norton anti virus sees avg as a threat and won't allow you to download avg.

not confident about windows install. wife has loads of photos and stuff on pc. would i lose all that with a windows install?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Buzz_Irl

Hi

Firstly back up all the photos etc onto a cdrom/dvd/external hard disk.

Then you can insert your windows system disk and boot up the PC - it will give u the option of Repairing your system - this may work and will avoid doing a full re-install.

Also - I have re-installed windows before and it only changes windows files but some applications will save data in the "My Documents" folders and I dont know what happens these.

The option of turning off then on the system Restore sounds the best next step - even if you lose your previous restore points.

Good luck - and dont forget to do the backups before trying anything !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

shovel wrote:
    hello
    wonder could you help me out with an answer to a question.

the system restore program does not work on my pc. pc is a dell dimension 4300 running windows xp. used to work when it was new. was not an issue up to now but got broadband and hope to download stuff and system restore would be handy if something goes wrong

when i try the program by picking a restore point, it seems to go through all it should do and then restarts ok but when the system restore screen comes back on it says"your computer cannot be restored to" whatever date i had picked. have created restore points myself and tried to restore to those dates but still the same.

the only odd thing is just as the pc shuts down before restarting sometimes i get a message that says "the application has failed because the computer is shutting down"
    any help appreciated. shovel

You can safely reinstall the "System Restore" section of Windows without afecting anything else. The only loss will be any existing restore points. But if they don't work as it is, so what!.

Here's how to do it.

Warning: This will delete ALL existing restore points.

Go to Start - Run and type %Windir%\INF then press enter.

In Windows Explorer go to Tools - Folder Options - View Tab and uncheck “Hide extensions for known file types”.

Find the sr.inf file, right click on it and select Install.

Or simply type or paste the following command into the Start - Run box and press enter.

rundll32.exe advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection C:\Windows\Inf\sr.inf

If the Files Needed dialog box appears, click Browse and point to the i386 folder on the Windows XP CD or to the i386 folder on the hard drive, if it exists, of for systems updated with the Service Pack 2 CD or Download from Microsoft, browse to the C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 folder. The retail version of Windows XP (SP2) also contains the latest version of the files needed.

These are the files needed to perform the reinstall:

FILE NAME:
    FILELIST.XML
    RSTRUI.EXE
    SR.SYS
    SRCLIENT.DLL
    SRDIAG.EXE
    SRFRAME.MMF
    SRRSTR.DLL
    SRSVC.DLL
    SRVSVC.DLL
    SP2 VERSION #:

Source: http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭shovel

apologies for not posting till now (xmas, kids, santa etc)

i turned off and on system restore as you suggested, and it worked, thank god.
    thanks to all for all the help and suggestions and help.

a very happy and safe xmas to you all.

shovel

Advertisement