Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade advice needed

Options
  • 15-12-2006 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭

hi all,
    I have a pc bought from elara in jan 2005. sempron 2400 1gb ddr ram , 128m agp card and two ide hdds. I want to upgrade it a bit for some gaming and have been looking at the upgrades on marx. I've been away from computers for a few years and have lost track of the technology changes. i'd like to just upgrade the cpu and mobo.

any advice on what i should/could go for would be most welcome.
    merry christmass,
    jack

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Well since you have been away AGP has become obsolete. Though you can still get top end cards for them, they are rare and sometimes more expenxive then the pci-e ( new standard ) counter parts.

So it looks like you are going to have to change the whole system. Good news is you can keep everything apart from cpu, mobo , graphics and probably psu and ram. So your case and hdds/dvd drives will be fine.

Now you dont state any type of budget, so ill pick middle of the range:

Intel core 2 duo e6300/e6400/e6600
    Intel p965 motheboard
    1/2gb ram ddr2 6400
    Nvidia 7900gs XXX or Ati x1950pro ( or if not playing the newest games and huge resolutions pick a 7600gt )
    A 500W psu from a know maker like, enermax, seasonic, corsair ect ect

You can pick up all ths from about 500€

Since you say you have been away from pc hardware a few years, im guessing you have a fairly decent idea of how to put this all together.

hope this helps you somewhat.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

How much have you got?

^^ the most important question really.

Where?

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What board have you at the moment. for a cheap price, 180-ish, you could probably get a better cpu and card adequate for gaming second hand without having to go for a total upgrade for a good while yet....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

Has anti been away from pc hardware too??? From €500??? What?! Where?!
    anti wrote:
    Well since you have been away AGP has become obsolete. Though you can still get top end cards for them, they are rare and sometimes more expenxive then the pci-e ( new standard ) counter parts.

So it looks like you are going to have to change the whole system. Good news is you can keep everything apart from cpu, mobo , graphics and probably psu and ram. So your case and hdds/dvd drives will be fine.

Now you dont state any type of budget, so ill pick middle of the range:

Intel core 2 duo e6300/e6400/e6600
    Intel p965 motheboard
    1/2gb ram ddr2 6400
    Nvidia 7900gs XXX or Ati x1950pro ( or if not playing the newest games and huge resolutions pick a 7600gt )
    A 500W psu from a know maker like, enermax, seasonic, corsair ect ect

Since you say you have been away from pc hardware a few years, im guessing you have a fairly decent idea of how to put this all together.

hope this helps you somewhat.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Yeah i forgot to factor in the cost of ram there, The rest will come to 500ish if he coes for the E6300.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jackbauer

thanks for the info. looking to run the likes of hl2 and fear in reasonable quality not into the heavy duty graphics! was looking at the pentium D package from marx for about €200 plus a good graphics card. can i use ddr memory in a ddr2 board?

Advertisement