Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADSL Black Hole

Options
  • 15-12-2006 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,246 ✭✭✭

I signed up with BT broadband last week. Now, I used to have ISDN in the house but got it discontinued a few years back and the ISDN controller was never removed. My problem, once I got the broadband installed was that the microfilter didn't work with the ISDN controller.

I contacted BT about this in the hope they'd sort me out with an RJ11 installation. Well, lets just say I listened to a lot of 'All our operators are busy' messages. Three times I rang their tech support to try and get some satisfaction. I emailed their customer care who didn't deem my query was worth a response.

Eventually I got through to tech support today, asked them about geting an RJ11 connection, was told that I'd have to contact their customer support. Contacted them. The guy there told me to contact tech support. I stood my ground and said I'd talked to them already. Asked them about getting an RJ11 installed. Explained 3 times what it was I wanted done. Got told you you to do this yourself or get an electrician to do it, or a telecoms engineer. Then got told they'd do callouts but it cost €190. Enquired (for the craic) when they'd have an available date and got put on hold for 5 mins only to be told that they actually didn't do callouts to do this anyway. After some further discussions, the guy very thoughtfully hung up on me.

I'm annoyed by what I see as a 'black hole' between the point where Eircom's responsibility leaves off at the boundary of the home and the point where your line connects to your equipment.

Frankly people like BT calling themselves a telephone company is a joke if they don't have engineers on hand at a reasonable cost to handle everyday maintenance and installation tasks. Asking a 3rd party to come in to solve a routine problem isn't a good solution I think because where do you stand then if a problem arises in future and how do you prove that it's a problem arising from the 3rd party work or something that BT needs to be concerned with?

Has anybody else been through this and, if you have, what did you do next? Frankly now I'd discontinue my BT service if I could but they're yakking about their one year tie in with the contract. I don't think this standard of service is good enough and, if this is what the government envisage as diversity in the telecoms market then they need to wake up.

Advertisement