Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best promo guy of 2006

• 15-12-2006 7:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭

I'd go with Foley. I'm a huge fan of his. But even looking at it objectively, very very few can give promos like the ones he gave consistently this year. I loved his feud with Flair and Funk in 2006.

I think Cena deserves a mention too. The lines he is given are not often great, but he has good delivery and call sell a match on the mic like few can in wrestling today.

Booker T has been really entertaining on the mic this year too. Not sure if it drew much money but he's been fun.

To look outside WWE and even wrestling, its in the UFC where your seeing the best promos for me with guys like Ortiz and Shamrock doing great business because of it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

JBL. Moving him on to commentary was one of the few genius moves made by WWE this year rather than have him wrestle the odd match here and there like Taker. If only they would allow King to go heel again.

I would definitley agree with Vince on his UFC point. There package has been real solid this year and having guys who are good on the mic has been a reason for this. In fact I would say that '06 was probably UFC's year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

I'm going to go with King Booker. I'd also like to give an honourable mention to Matt Striker for his continuing education of the dwindling ECW audience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Yeah, has to be Foley for me. Some brilliant promos out of him this year. And Booker was gold as soon as he started the whole King business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

. In fact I would say that '06 was probably UFC's year.

Take out the probably. It was their year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Cena was good.

Kennedy was good.

Melina was good.

King Booker was great.

Foley was great.

For me though, Edge takes top spot. Some of his stuff was excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭moongoose

just going for wrestlers i'd be looking at flair. but who can overlook heyman whether the promised messiah or after RVD's blooper the the fallen prophet he always got you to do what he wanted whether he wanted you to love or hate him. but in talking about wwe & conceding it was ufc's year it is these days you can see how much wrestling misses chris jericho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

Yea, Edge did some pretty good stuff, so he gets my vote!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭moongoose

just thinking back about some of the lines from wwe i have to think back to cena's delivered to melina about if nitro is teaching k-fed to be a man does that mean that melina is teaching brittany to be a slut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Jay-Jay

Ken Kennedy,Cryme tyme,DX,cena

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

i can't remember one entertaining DX Promo this year if there was one it must have been forgettable, i think Edge deserves a mention, he never overdoes it, he always says just enough, but 2006 (the first 6 months anyway) belonged to Foley for promos, he was as consistant as he used to be, always to the point, never losing the crowd whether the agreed with him or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Yeah I'll go with Foley because he gave some great intense promos during his feud with Funk and also during his feud with Flair.

I also felt he brought a lot of humour too...

"I'm a hardcore legend, a best-selling author and I'm friends with Melina!"

And I loved this line at ECW One Night Stand...

"There was a time when I loved ECW. When it was run by a visionary. So let's here it...for Stephanie McMahon! Long live the Alliance! Long live the Alliance!"

I think Edge comes in second for his excellent mic work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

foley, naturally enough, but i can't overlook flair. the man just continues to amaze me.
    there was one decent DX promo. it was just a short one shot as they entered an ECW show. HBK looks around and asks HHH if he is sure they are in the right place. HHH sees something (ECW poster or something) and says "Bingo!" gave me a laugh anyway.

a few people have mentioned Edge and i would also agree that he is great on the mic.

over on the good show, Nash has been quite amusing, but christian has him beaten.

like mongoose above, i too miss the days of y2j and the best promos eh eh eh eh eh ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

Has got to be Foley without a doubt! He has given some really great promos this year.

JBL a close second, he has been great on commentary!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

Was gonna say Foley but If were are going for overall, then Nash and Alex Shelley win hands down. That one where Nash was doing Mexican wrestling was brilliant. :D

DX had one or two goods one but overall weren't that good. One i remember was where D-X were talking about being conversational and micheals got worked up super kicked a bunch of ppl. funny stuff.
    Edge was alrite but not as good as Jericho or Christian would have been.

Stalfos wrote:
    Was gonna say Foley but If were are going for overall, then Nash and Alex Shelley win hands down. That one where Nash was doing Mexican wrestling was brilliant. :D

I loved the segment on this week's show, I was in bits laughin! "Is that the anadrol kicking in?!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

edge for me also.

Yay! Extended version of the PCS push-up challenge from Impact this week: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i8-CylpzTY

That's why Nash and Shelley deserve mentions!

Brilliant stuff
    Jay Lethal : why do i have to go first?
    Nash: cause your black! :D

This is the one i was talking about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH1F047qWQo&mode=related&search=
    Although they were infact Madagascar Wrestlers: Super blue cross number six and samolian joe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm not as crazy about the Nash segments as you all are but I did enjoy Shelley's comment about Bob Backlund...

"Bob Backlund's not here!"

Shelley: "He's here in spirit."

Awh, just thinkin back now, Nash and Shelley easily win this award for overall performances! Their first few weeks together were great, with Nash showing the chart of how good business for the WWF was when he was champ. "And then it went down here when Stone Cold came along"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 D.....

Question :
    Will we ever see Stone cold in the ring again.

^^ only he would know that.

I agree with that. While others guys have been kinda on and off with their promo's, Nash and Shelley have always give an enjoyable show. I love the way Nash does commentary during their matches too. But it's mainly cause those two other guys annoy me really.

Advertisement