Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet Piping...help!

Options
  • 15-12-2006 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Am in the process of having the attic converted. There are 2 pipes coming from the ensuite, one is for the extractor fan, the other is the vent pipe from the toilet. Today the builders fixed the plasterboard to the walls but we took off some to check they had reconnected these two pipes - they didn't! Before we tackle them about it we want to be armed with as much information as possible. Can they tell us these two pipes are not necessary? I know this probably sounds like a stupid question but they might try blind us with science as they know we're not too well up on plumbing aspects! Any help/advice HUGELY appreciated.:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Reconnected them to what? the extractor pipe should be connected to outside, probably to the soffit. The toilet one should connect to a soil pipe running down the outside of your house. A photo or two would help posters to fully understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Nimina

Sorry if I am unclear...the extractor fan was connected to a pipe that came up into the attic and out the roof (somewhere!), likewise the toilet vent came UP into the attic and went out of the roof. Basically now these two pipes have been cut and that's it, cut and covered over with plasterboard sheets. Does this make sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

The vent from the toilet can be capped with a non return valve, perfectly safe. However the extractor must be connected to the outside.

Thanks a million Pataman.

Sorry one more thing I just thought of...we are paying this guy an extra €500 to have get a certificate of compliance...how can an architect issue a certificate of compliance if the above problem was not remedied or does the architect just carry out a visual inspection? This is possibly another :rolleyes: silly question, if so sorrrrrrrry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,412 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Just one point, If the room has a window the fan is not needed. I doubt you have a window as the fan is there but I have seen both.
    As for the certificate. Are you getting a planning compliance or building reg cert? As the pipes not conected should affect the compliance with regs but not with planning.

Hi Mellor, the ensuite doesn't have a window which is why we are concerned...it can be really stuffy WITH the extractor fan on and connected properly so can imagine how bad it would be without being connected.

Not sure what you mean re. the cert. It is an architect's Certificate. The work we are getting done doesn't require planning (attic conversion with 2 velux to the back of the house...nothing different to the side or front)

Advertisement