Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun Club in Kilkenny Area Dealing with Target Shooting?

Options
  • 15-12-2006 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭

I am interested in getting into target shooting with a .22 pistol, I have firearms experience but not in this country and have not yet held a firearms cert here,

I would like to join a club with a view to competing and I also believe it would support my application for the pistol.

I have searched but could not find contact details for a club in kilkenny that deals with target shooting,

does anybody here know of any?

regards

steppen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Theres no target clubs around kilkenny afaik

Theres hilltop which is near newtownmountkennedy (down from bray) If your an alumni of trinners or ucd they have clubs theres a few more around dub and midlands not sure what else

Did that club in waterford ever get set up?

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭steppen

Theres no target clubs around kilkenny afaik

Theres hilltop which is near newtownmountkennedy (down from bray) If your an alumni of trinners or ucd they have clubs theres a few more around dub and midlands not sure what else

Did that club in waterford ever get set up?

will the fact that there are no clubs in my area adversely affect my chances of a successful pistol application?

as i said i have experience in a different country, i was trained in safety and awareness but i never held a firearms cert as i did not have citizenship just residency, if asked by the garda handling my application should i say that i have experience or not?

regards

steppen

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Saddlebags

Good luck to you trying to get a licence in Kilkenny!!!!!!!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

steppen wrote:
    will the fact that there are no clubs in my area adversely affect my chances of a successful pistol application?
    It's unheard of (as far as I know), for anyone to be issued a Firearm Certificate for a pistol without their being a member of a pistol shooting club, I'm afraid. This is because of the 'good reason for possession' thing, and as hunting with handguns is unheard of (if not outright illegal, anyone know for certain?) in this country, the only other acceptable 'good reason for possession' is Target Shooting; and that necessitates membership of a suitable club.
    All is not lost though just because there isn't one on your doorstep. Plenty of people travel the length and breadth of the country to get to the handful of existing clubs, so you wouldn't be alone in having to travel to participate.
    Unfortunately (from the applicant's point of view), none of the clubs I know of will just accept your money and hand out a membership card/letter and send you on your merry way to apply for a pistol licence. They all insist on a probationary period for new members before they'll issue any documentation to support an application. This could be anything up to six months or more, I'm afraid.
    steppen wrote:
    as i said i have experience in a different country, i was trained in safety and awareness but i never held a firearms cert as i did not have citizenship just residency, if asked by the garda handling my application should i say that i have experience or not?
    Have you any qualifications like the NRA Basic Pistol Course or similar? They like to see that sort of thing, probably more so than advanced combat/tactical stuff.
    Certainly mention your experience, but don't go overboard on any 'uberninja, high speed low drag, silent death' type training you might have. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Rovi wrote:
    don't go overboard on any 'uberninja, high speed low drag, silent death' type training you might have. :eek:

Yeah, my FO wasn't very impressed by my "quick draw" demonstration when I applied either :D . My "I can shoot a cigarette out of your mouth" didn't go down well.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

If you're in Kilkenny, about the nearest club I can think of off the top of my head is the MNSCI, in Blueball, just southwest of Tullamore. However, just because it's a little drive away, don't be discouraged - it's worth the drive from Dublin, let alone Kilkenny :D

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭steppen

Sparks wrote:
    If you're in Kilkenny, about the nearest club I can think of off the top of my head is the MNSCI, in Blueball, just southwest of Tullamore. However, just because it's a little drive away, don't be discouraged - it's worth the drive from Dublin, let alone Kilkenny :D

Thanks for the info on the club in tullamore, tried to contact them via the number on their website but no luck so far, will go there this week to check it out, will also go to the dublin pistol club as these seem to be the closest to me.

Advertisement