Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toshiba A100-147 graphics query

• 15-12-2006 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi all

Ive bought this laptop (A100-147) and really like it. Does anyone know of any ways to "tweak" the graphics settings? The game I wish to play is a little jerky/jumpy (counter strike source). Ive turned the in game settings down to the minimun buts its still a bit dodgy. All other games are playing fine :)

Thanks
    J

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Would this have anything to do with the fact that this laptop has a shared graphics system. It shares the systems ram which as far as I know is only 1gb, not a lot when you think that 128mb is used for graphics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

It looks like its shared memory access for your integrated graphics card which is not intended to run games at all. Not much you can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That laptop comes with the GMA - not very good for modern games, although in fairness it is not deisgned nor marketed for such.

Games from 2002/2003 downwards generally work pretty well, or Dx8 titles would be a better generalisation. Newer games then that work of course, but it's all very hit and miss.

CS:S is one of those games that doesn't work very well. Have you tried running in Directx7 mode? What sort of fps are you getting at current?

The fact that it is shared is not the problem, and 1gb of memory is plenty - it is the architecture of the gma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

look up HL2 console tweaking.

http://www.tweakguides.com/HL2_7.html

Thats a good read. BTW, a really good idea is the -console option at startup which stops the 3D background loading and just loads an image instead which will save you a lot of time if your system struggles to run the game.

HL2 and Counterstrike: Source use the same Source game engine so any or most tweaks for HL2 from console should also work for Counterstrike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 wadey

Cheers Brim4brim, that helped alot! HL2 plays fine, CSS isnt 100% but its playable now!

Thanks again :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

Sorry for changing the topic but one quick question friend of mine has this laptop and when a memory stick is inserted into the cards reader on the front nothing happens. When there's no memory card in it does anything show up in My Computer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 wadey

nothing appears in the "My Computer" window when there are no cards inserted. When a card is inserted it shows up as "Secure Digital Storage" (for an SD Card). The pic below shows what I get when my card is inserted, its an SD Card and Ive not got any others to try. If yours doesnt show up, I'd try formating it on another pc or device. If that fails, try another card to narrow down the issue

Advertisement