Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finished build for my mother :)

Options
  • 15-12-2006 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭

Just finished this PC destined for my mother to replace her 7 year old Dell.

All parts sourced from Adverts...thanks lads and ladies :) The case is a P150...a great case for a small simple build and looks lovely. The guts is an MSI Skt939 board with an AMD64 3000, a Seagate 250gb SATA HD and a gig of PC3200. One generic DVD/RW hidden behind the drive bay and a card reader pretty much finish it off. Not a bad job on the cable tidying even if I do say so myself.

A couple of pics...click for bigness

PICT0001.th.jpg

PICT0002.th.jpg

PICT0004.th.jpg

Runs almost silently. Has just been burned-in for three days with a Folding@Home client running at 100% and CPU temp never tops 36c.

Just thought I'd share with you all :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

wow ur mom must be into her pcs :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

So what use will your mother put a 3000 to? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

awhir wrote:
    wow ur mom must be into her pcs :D

Not really....but my father is well into digital photos (just spent a fortune on the latest DSLR) and the old Dell was giving me nightmares. The file sizes from his new camera are huge and photoshop just couldn't handle them on a PIII 700 with 64mb RAM.
    I was also getting fed up with those 'its not working right' phone calls...and bearing in mind they live on the other side of the UK nipping over to fix it ain't possible.

I'm also a very caring and loving son :D

HavoK wrote:
    So what use will your mother put a 3000 to? :D

Very little hopefully...its going to have to last her another few years :D

The next challenge is persuading them to get a broadband connection....I really can't handle 56k any more...makes me cry waiting :(

Best I get it wrapped before I head over next week.

#Elites wrote:
    what was the total cost?

I'd guess around €260-280

Some bits I already had like the DVD/RW and HSF. Pretty good value I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

yeah my next budget build will be off adverts, the amount of parts I put into a computer for my parents that I could of paid half for if i'd just waited a few months for them to come up on adverts. Plus no chance of DOA when someone has already tested and used the parts (i've already had 2 from items I bought from Komplett and OCuk :()

Very nice.. with that cooler on it, would you give the system a slight/safe overclock? Say get the 3000 to 2Ghz? ;)

Oh and what are you using in the way of backup?

Not going to OC this one...although is does run at 2.2 with no problem :D

Ans as for backup I have also provided a WD My Book 250gb...should keep them safe I think.

Just to let you know...my mother was well pleased with her new PC.
    As a bonus I even picked up a cheap 20" WS LCD for her while I was in the UK so my father can watch all my carefully 'purchased' Pink Floyd video collection.

Now all I have to do is try to get them to get a broadband connection...I really cannot handle 56k anymore :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

hopeful wrote:
    Not going to OC this one...although is does run at 2.2 with no problem :D

Ans as for backup I have also provided a WD My Book 250gb...should keep them safe I think.

lol... yeah I actually got my parents a WD 250GB as their backup for the computer I built them, but I decided against it in the end and just mirrored 2 drives in a RAID 1. Means they won't have to worry about backing up, plus it will give the added read speed being in a RAID.

Advertisement