Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jpegr.com

Options
  • 16-12-2006 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭

sink your teeth into this lads :D

jpegr.com

now owned by yours truely.

criticism/advice/praise/kitchen sink all welcome :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Untitled-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

you would have to visit just when it goes down :D

being transferred atm, will re-post here when it gets back up :)

edit: thought everything was fully transferred... obviously not. *waits impatiently*

How much storage have you got for the images you hope to host?

over 200gb :)

can upgrade host if needed...

ok, i wonder how much a site like imageshack would have... not to say u need that much at all.. but out of curiosity.

• Advertisement

ha ha, well the site is basically brand new.

So for the first few months, i'll have no problems.. should the site take off, i'll go with private ads & should be earning enough in advertising to pay for more space.

once i start to run into debt, the site will be worth a small fortune so i'll sell it :)

but i don't think that's gonna happen anytime soon. :(

Access denied for user 'jpegr1'@'208.113.128.0/255.255.224.0' to database 'jpegr1'

to let u know.

yeah thanks, workin on it at atm :)

Time for bed, ttyl.. good luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Man, imageshack must have millions of terabytes of storage! Good luck with it smemon, it's giving the same error message now btw.

• Advertisement

................annnnnnnnnnnd we're back.

all problems sorted. jpegr up and running again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Nice design, I like it.

Guinness-Tradition.JPG

Would you not be better off making the code of the image include some jimbled random numbers like imageshack? Or does that happen automatically with duplicate image names?

What are the member only features?

members get their own gallery, like a flickr thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Howya smemon?

I got this error message when i tried to upload a 12mb Tindersticks mp3
    jpegr wrote:

Uh Oh!
    That image you tried to upload was a little too big, the maximum size for Guests is KB, and KB for Members.

It's a good domain name, i even bought one with an 'r' recently too, but this crowd over here are going to cause you some problems if you're site is sucsessful.

Maybe in hindsight the domain wasn't a good choice?

Also...why would I sign up to your site over Flickr, Picasa Web, Imageshack, Photobucket...etc...etc...

Does your site have hotlinking enabled or disabled?

If I was thick stupid and didn't have a notion about the web but i know how to use a camera i might think that i can only host jpegs on your site. What about bitmaps, pngs and gifs? If i was even thicker, and please note the if..I would have spent 2 days trying to click on your logo to see if itbrings me back to your hompage.

Do you do any watermarking? Maybe you should for unregistered images? The likelyhood is that a once off user wants to upload an image to share on a forum or to give to a friend...by watermarking it your logo will appear on the footer of the image...hey presto free advertising! I would only do this on images larger than 200 * 200 or whatever because otherwise you're running the risk of obstructing the main image.

What's your revenue model? How are you going to make money from this site?

Who is your target audience? You're hosting in the states, fair enough you have bandwidth to consider, but if you're looking at the Irish market should you not have jumped for the .ie too? It's going to be very hard to rank high in the SERPS in such a congested market place. Compare the irish market to the international market. Obviously the Irish one is a lot easier to rank in than the international one. Your keywords, in my opinion, should be free, image, gallery, photo, photography, hosting, ireland, jpeg, jpg.

You are using 'slogan' as your tagline, it is within this div which your main keyword of 'photo hosting' appears. Change 'slogan' to H1

There is no background info (about us page), contact form, no browsing of images/gallerys, very little instant interaction, no visual uploader, no rss. You have no meta data either on your pages.

Did you pay for this script?

Nice logo but be carefull, you may fall into a flickr copycat category.
    Excellent use of Google Ads. They were the first thing i clicked on...but maybe that isn't such a great thing since it brought me to Photobucket. You can configure google ads to blacklist your rivals.

May I recommend an affilation with PixMania. You can get ads for digital cameras on your site.

If you quote me in your reply I want half your profit.:)

Blinklist, Furl, Fark, Del.iou.us, Digg...they are all your friends. Add the badges to your footer. Get your friends to Digg/Blink you.

Social Bookmarking is where it's at for this kind of site.
    But i wouldn't do that until you add more fetures.

Smemon, where is the blog like? There is no personal touch on the site. It's too cold as it stands.

I signed up this morning but I used the same password as my username while filling out the form and it went thru. My email address wasn't confirmed either. When i got into the members panel...i felt like this guy > :confused:

How do i create a gallery?
    The process isn't clear. Maybe a tutorial either hosted within the member's panel or an email tutorial would be a worthwile addition?

hmmm..

you guys are pretty demanding :D

anyway, the site is fairly new... i plan on expanding/adding new features in the future. I'm aware it lacks a bit of interaction but again that was what i was looking for.. non-nonsense, straight to the point.

However looking back on all the comments perhaps it's a little *too* no-nonsense.

Obviously my target audience atm is the noObs, worldwide... the Irish market, yes is less competitive but is limited. It would take a bit of cash to advertise it here in Ireland which i don't really have. At the minute i'm using myspace bulletins, forums etc... to advertise. Fairly happy with the results so far.

The ads are nicely blended, however getting people to click on 2 ads to gain revenue is a bit like pissing against the wind :p It's early days though so i'll have to leave them for now and experiment as time goes on. Anyway, revenue isn't a concern atm as i just want to polish up the site first.

The site is 100% custom made. Script, logo, design etc... (not by me of course, i'm not that good). Like i said, i plan on smoothing the edges a bit and making it a little more user friendly.

also, i did buy the site with the domain as a big selling point. 5 letter .com, logical, could be worth quite a bit with a pagerank and plenty of traffic. However i don't plan on selling anytime soon.

appreciate the comments lads. I'll try and take them on board when adding new features to the site :)

I got this error message when i tried to upload a 12mb Tindersticks mp3

File size is capped - 1mb for guests, 2mb for members.

As i'm not google :D i can't afford to be storing bucket loads of data.

i've got about 220gb of free space which is quite a bit. However i really don't want to fork out for more storage anytime soon :) maybe once the site can pay for itself i'll expand the cap but for now, 2mb for an image, should be more than enough ;)

I think a lot of what i said has gone over your head a bit. You didn't address much of the advise i gave (which is all solid btw, i'm not shooting you down or anything)

I tried to upload an mp3 and the error i got back was:-
    Uh Oh! That image you tried to upload was a little too big, the maximum size for Guests is KB, and KB for Members.

smemon wrote:
    2mb for an image, should be more than enough ;)

that surely should be "2mb cache is enough for an upload of 2mb"?
    Are you using any GD Lib compression on your images?

I'll be honest with you...In my opinion you won't sell on this website and won't make a return on it. The approach is wrong.

• Advertisement

You didn't address much of the advise i gave (which is all solid btw, i'm not shooting you down or anything)

I tried to upload an mp3 and the error i got back was:-

well in fairness, i've had about 12 hours to address the advice :p

anyway, all of those things will be addressed in due course.

i'm talking to a coder atm, looking at polishing up the site a bit. Have noted your advice and have a few things myself i want to tweak.

i'm going to keep the no-nonsense approach though. Looking at imageshack, my homepage seems to be cleaner, neater and more web 2.0.

But with regards member cpanel and help/demo etc.. it needs to be improved. Having said that i don't want to overcrowd the site with idiot proof tuitions and flashy step by step demo's. The site homepage is virtually self-explanitory.

I agree beyond that though, it gets a little confusing for an average noOb.

ok,
    i've got a coder to do some work. (well, most of rollo's suggestions :D )

so the technical side of things should be ironed out soon. Im not too worried about the social side of things atm - blogs,diggs etc.. i can do that myself at any time.

i'm just looking for any more advice/feedback on the site you guys have.

first impressions seem to be good from everyone i've talked to, it's just the member area and once you actually upload something which isn't so hot.

that's the bit i'm going to address but just wondering if you guys have anymore suggestions :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

The navigation is a bit counter-intuitive

I uploaded an image as a guest. It generated the code etc., but when I viewed the image using the link provided it opened it in the same window and I lost the image ... basically

Your legal texts (terms and privacy) really need to be expanded on.

blacknight wrote:
    Your legal texts (terms and privacy) really need to be expanded on.

yes, two points i noted straight away. When you press the 'back' button, you lose the codes.

text in general is pretty short and sweet. A little too short and looks quite strange because there isn't a big list of terms :D i'll beef it up a bit.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

smemon wrote:
    text in general is pretty short and sweet. A little too short and looks quite strange because there isn't a big list of terms :D i'll beef it up a bit.
    it seems like you are looking at your terms the wrong way. They are not there to look short and sweet to keep visitors happy. They are there to protect your ass against libel from your visitors and their actions.

smemon wrote:

It's not simply a matter of "beefing it up".

You need to protect yourself and your users and comply with the law.

It may seem boring and tedious, but when you start getting hit with the legal letters you're better off

smemon wrote:
    well in fairness, i've had about 12 hours to address the advice :p

what i meant is that it looked like you weren't going to acknowledge there was a problem with anything in the first place. simply because the site looks nice doesn't mean it's functional and just because it's bare doesn't mean it's going to be easy to use.

There is very little direction on the site...you have an opening parapgraph which tells very little of the site, a registration form which fails to mention the benefits of registering, an upload form which fails to mention the file types and size requirement a logo which fails to link back to the homepage.

you have an opening parapgraph which tells very little of the site, a registration form which fails to mention the benefits of registering, an upload form which fails to mention the file types and size requirement a logo which fails to link back to the homepage.

which is exactly why i opened this thread :) to get feedback.

i'll take advice on board, weigh everything up, then decide what would be best for the site. I'm not simply posting for the craic. I appreciate the advice so far, and am going to act on it. But as an individual with a full time job, time isn't something i have a lot of so it will be a slow process.
    It's not simply a matter of "beefing it up".

You need to protect yourself and your users and comply with the law.

yeah i understand that, just putting it in lay mans terms ;) anyway, despite the negativity here, it's doing pretty well. 1000 page impressions yesterday, 55 registrations, 600 impressions so far today, 30 registrations.

Worldwide traffic and a few diggs. Things could be worse. The fact people are actually using the site rather than just coming to it and saying wow, nice homepage, is pretty encouraging as i don't regard the site as anywhere near perfect myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

hey smemon good luck with the site!, I think it looks quite nice, as a matter of interest did you have a white version of it ever? also, regarding your t&c i think people are saying you may be best getting a legal professional to draft it, as user generated content leaves you open to a lot!

Advertisement