Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jpegr.com

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

heggie wrote:
    hey smemon good luck with the site!, I think it looks quite nice, as a matter of interest did you have a white version of it ever? also, regarding your t&c i think people are saying you may be best getting a legal professional to draft it, as user generated content leaves you open to a lot!

thanks heggie,

i bought the site so im not too sure if it was ever white. It's only a couple of months old though so i doubt it.

yeah, i've added more t & c's and plan on developing it further. I think i have everything covered loosely however i'll still try and be more specific with them.

on a side note, i've had a mountain of traffic from China recently, i've seen the site on a few chinese blogs so thats encouraging.

atm, the US and China lead the traffic with Ireland in 3rd place :) 57 different countries have now hit JPEGr :D

ah... the joys of having no target market :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

smemon wrote:

ah... the joys of having no target market :p

and what did you do to target these people speciffically.... or did they fall on your lap?

/
    and why do you keep acting childish in this thread? the advise i have given and the advise you have received from others is decent and all you seem to do is post smilies at every attempt. it gives the impression that you're doing your best to swerve away from any criticism, construtive criticism i might add.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Doesn't render correctly for me, text is sitting over the upload button.

Quick advice, don't ask for feedback, and try to act on parts of it.

Sit down, re-evaluate the site, and work out where you are going with it, apart from do-it-up-sell-it-on-get-rich which seems to be the impression from your posts.

No target market, what kinda crap is that ?

and what did you do to target these people speciffically.... or did they fall on your lap?

and why do you keep acting childish in this thread? the advise i have given and the advise you have received from others is decent and all you seem to do is post smilies at every attempt. it gives the impression that you're doing your best to swerve away from any criticism, construtive criticism i might add.

well, for some reason, the site has been blogged about on chinese blogs along with being submitted to web 2.0 directory which i didn't do :confused: so that brought in a wad of traffic.

i'm not swerving away from criticism, or else i wouldn't reply. As we talk, i'm implementing some of the advice given from yourself.
    Doesn't render correctly for me, text is sitting over the upload button.

yeah sorry, we're working on it atm..
    No target market, what kinda crap is that ?

well, the kind of 'crap' which is working quite well atm. I'm reluctant to target a specific niche, as i'm happy with traffic at present. I'm going to try and slowly increase traffic worldwide and if i can't sustain the traffic numbers, i'll then sit down and try to narrow it.

atm, my target market is the world :) China & the US dominate my traffic so i'd be a fool to focus solely on the Irish market or European one. I want to keep it 'global friendly' for as long as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

at the same time, your market isnt a 90 year old amish farmer, everything has a target market, *maybe* yours is broader than the next idea, its still key to identify it tho

also, just letting u know i have directory access to the files

http://www.jpegr.com/uploads/2/

prob not what you want.

• Advertisement

heggie wrote:
    at the same time, your market isnt a 90 year old amish farmer, everything has a target market, *maybe* yours is broader than the next idea, its still key to identify it tho

also, just letting u know i have directory access to the files

http://www.jpegr.com/uploads/2/

prob not what you want.

cheers for that, we're in the process of tweaking things a bit, fixing errors as we go along...

as for the target market - it's basically any internet user - forums, myspace, general browser...

this
    smemon wrote:
    well, the kind of 'crap' which is working quite well atm. I'm reluctant to target a specific niche, as i'm happy with traffic at present. I'm going to try and slowly increase traffic worldwide and if i can't sustain the traffic numbers, i'll then sit down and try to narrow it.

+ this
    smemon wrote:
    atm, my target market is the world :) China & the US dominate my traffic so i'd be a fool to focus solely on the Irish market or European one. I want to keep it 'global friendly' for as long as possible.

+ this
    smemon wrote:
    as for the target market - it's basically any internet user - forums, myspace, general browser...

= very little sense.

I'm sorry but it doesn't make sense.

You're totally out of touch with your users. The numbers might be there at the moment but how on earth are you going to keep targeting chineese and american users? Can you speak chineese? Do you have any affiliations with any other websites? I will be very surprised if you sustain the current level of interest.

Out of curiosity, because I am curious, how are you targetting myspace users?

smemon wrote:
    well, for some reason, the site has been blogged about on chinese blogs along with being submitted to web 2.0 directory which i didn't

Any chance of a link to any of these blogs?

Have you attempted to translate these blogs? It would be worth your while to get in contact with a Chineese person in your apartantment block/college/work place/ local resturant and get it translated. After all these guys seem to be your users. You should find out what they're saying and why they're saying it.

You can use google and altavista to translate the pages but they don't also work so well. If you're serious then you should get the translation done in person asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Did you mean: jpgr.com ..:rolleyes: could be a problem

You paid 500dollars for this site without having a business plan! That's very naive. :(

How are you going to develop this site? Are you getting support from the original scripter or are you hiring a new developer? The oppurtunity to expand this site is quickly disappearing...
    so the technical side of things should be ironed out soon. Im not too worried about the social side of things atm - blogs,diggs etc.. i can do that myself at any time.

And you dugg the site yourself after saying the above...This project could be very costly for you.

• Advertisement

Any chance of a link to any of these blogs?

Have you attempted to translate these blogs? It would be worth your while to get in contact with a Chineese person in your apartantment block/college/work place/ local resturant and get it translated. After all these guys seem to be your users. You should find out what they're saying and why they're saying it.

You can use google and altavista to translate the pages but they don't also work so well. If you're serious then you should get the translation done in person asap.

it's all positive stuff or basically like a press release - nothing hardhitting, just a general comment on the site and what it's about. (or so google translate tells me :p )

as for targeting users, i've done no paid advertising. The site must have been digged or stumbled and somebody blogged it - triggering off other bloggers to write about it...

spanish blog
    delicious
    french blog
    another spanish blog
    chinese
    italian blog
    more chinese

need i go on :D

i was also submitted here
    :confused: i didn't do it. Anyway, that brought in lots of traffic too.

as you can see, JPEGr is universal. The 'less text, less ads, web 2.0, simple' approach seems to be the key :)

smemon wrote:
    The site must have been digged or stumbled and somebody blogged it - triggering off other bloggers to write about it...

omg

Do you want to know what i seriously think...

either you are involved in some sort of spamming or have been duped into purchasing this domain/script.

Have you signed up to any blog for profit programs? Why the decit?
    i didn't do it. Anyway, that brought in lots of traffic too.

I don't believe you, sorry, you have paid inclussion written all over yourself.

You paid 500dollars for this site without having a business plan! That's very naive. :(

I'm a business man, i wouldn't buy it for the craic ;) I can confidently say, that $500 was an absolute steal and it was a gamble which has paid off. Do the 3 $1000 bids not suggest i grabbed a bargain?
    How are you going to develop this site? Are you getting support from the original scripter or are you hiring a new developer? The oppurtunity to expand this site is quickly disappearing...

Both actually. Just last need i hired a guy and polished up a few things - added contact form, got logo linking back to homepage, thumbnail of image when you upload a picture...

we're working on more. The opportunity to expand will always be there. At the minute the site is being used, it's not simply a one-off site people look at and never come back to. (well, that may be the case in Ireland).

So rather than expand, i'm going to try and make the current features cleaner and more user friendly.

Why the decit?

what decit?

yes, i digged the site, but never promoted the digg.

i also added to stumble upon... but i suppose i rigged that too and opened multiple accounts to stumble it :rolleyes:

i'd love to know who submitted it to that directory, it certainly wasn't me. I never even knew it existed until i started getting referrals from it.

i've blogged about this irish attitude before - you've claimed i'm a liar, a cheat and a spammer basically :) I don't get it. What have i done to offend you? Ask for advice on a site?

Ok grand. I take everything back.

I think you have a uniquely original website which has a fantastic core base of users with whom you have an excellent relationship. I think you have spent your money very wisely considering the seller of the script/domain looked so desperate to sell that he dropped his price drastically. I don't think there is anything unusual about blog posts popping up of nowhere; neither do I think there is anything strange about any directories or anything else that may have your domain listed. I do not think you are over your head or out of your depth at all. I think whoever codes your site will do a great job at picking up left over pieces. I can see that you take criticism and analysis of your business plan and marketing strategies with exceptional professionalism.

Best of luck smemon. I'm leaving this thread for a while now as I can't bare my own honesty.

Out of interest, what are your plans for roykeane.net?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

/me undoes snip

Rollo, I think you're going over the top and that your criticism is no longer constructive in any way.

Mirror wrote:

Rollo, I think you're going over the top and that your criticism is no longer constructive in any way.

I actually think so too, my apolgies for going OTT smenon.

Out of interest, what are your plans for roykeane.net?

'tis a work in progress. The domain was free, so i bought it. Slapped adsense on it to earn a few crumbs. You know i almost feel i'm doing something illegal here :)

anyway, no hard feelings. Your original post was very useful and i've already acted on several of your suggestions :)

no probs, ttly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

smemon wrote:
    i'm going to keep the no-nonsense approach though. Looking at imageshack, my homepage seems to be cleaner, neater and more web 2.0.

Imageshack has more users and a larger growth rate then all the web 2.0 photo sites combined. It might be worth asking why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Why?

well imageshack are a huge, established site with unlimited bandwidth and storage, backed with blank cheques... :)

i wouldn't even consider challenging imageshack or attempting to clone their site or any part of it.

I want JPEGr to be a small, neat and tidy image uplaoding site which does what it says on the tin.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

The following is somewhat based on conjecture, but unless someone wants to contradict me, I'd imagine it's fairly accurate from what attention I gave it over the years.

Imageshack started out as a branding venture by a user of the SomethingAwful forums, he targetted it at SA users as a solution for all the dead links in old threads, etc.

In return, people would get to know the "golden frog" logo, which he planned to use as a booster for other "products".

At the time it began, it was simple and fast. It didn't/doesn't molest your image during the upload, add watermarks, etc. It was pretty much on the crest of the wave when blogging hit the general public in a big way, with plugins, etc.

In the same way that Google "just did it better" with websearch, imageshack became what it is today.

Advertisement