Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was Omega Supreme a waste of space?

Options
  • 16-12-2006 1:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

Talk about a waste! Remember the comic where he defennds the Ark from half a dozen Decepticons? Shockwave sends the army in to take the ship, they all arrive expecting no one home and up he Pops. He wastes almost all of em(one gets away I think).
    what happens? In thew comics, I cant remember, but it seems he gets mothballed. (Same with Metroplex in the cartoons).

What was the military justification for sending the equivalent of the Spear of Destiny into retirement in his prime? Weird.

Prime held the Autobots back, thats the discusssion for the day!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Can't remember what happened to him in the comics either.

He was also their best form of space transport as Cosmos was a bit naff and Sky Lynx didn't come along until much later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

I never remember him as Transport. He was a Tank along a track( ****ing Cool toy for my B*astard neighbour who had him) as well as a Massive autobot. If Prime was the man, he would have sent him in to clean out Shockwave and end the war on earth.

Optimus would have been a Doctor My Hole!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_Supreme

got to feel sorry for the guy, having his city destroyed by his one-time friends and being secretly driven by revenge. seems a big theme with a few of the autobots

jetfire after starscream (one time friends, starscream betrayed jetfire)
    swoop after divebomb (divebomb stole swoops original name)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

was taken out by a underbased powered starscream in the comics if i remember correctly. considering how big he was ratchet probably hasnt got round to em yet :D:D

was massivly underused though, kinda like trypticon. thats the problem with the city/base TFs. theres only so many times you can use em before you've no planet left, they're kinda like TF weapons of last resort :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

But wasnt omega supreme just too strong to remain around for long? I didnt like him ether.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Omega Supreme was blasted by underbase Starscream, as said before.

He was originally created as a counter for Devastator, storyline wise in the comic books... I think he was looked on as outdated when the other gestalt teams started kicking around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Meh to all your replies! As far as Im concerned, he was shafted as bad writing. Any machine that could destroy 50% of the Decepticon fighting force and then disappear is a brutal treatment of character or a case of a writing team brought in on a 2 week contract without any consideration of how his abilities would affect the TF universe. Otherwise he surely would have been sent in to wipe out the Cons. All he had to do was hit was one Constructicon to neutralise Devastator. I know he got knocked by Starscream Underbase but the only thing that could stop Starscream was the Underbase itself.
    What a waste!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

It was because in every g1 incarnation Omega was "the last line of defence". He didnt do attacking. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Trode

With a few exceptions, the Autobots, and Optimus in particular, were never really that proactive about going out and killing Decepticons. Being inherently pacifistic, the only really fought to defend themselves or others. It's why Prime's "Megatron must be stopped, no matter the cost" line in the movie works, the implied cost isn't 'if it kills me', it's 'if I have to kill him'. It makes sense that the Autobots would keep Omega Supreme, and later Metroplex, effectively transforming WMDs, as a last ditch line of defence rather than wheel them out to annihilate their enemies whenever they felt like it. Plus there's the factor that the destruction caused by having them regularly engage in battle (and probable Decepticon response of an arms race) would completely destroy Earth anyway.
    And nobody wants to see Beachcomber cry.

• Advertisement

Was Omega Supreme not adapted from another product line as well?

I had one called Omegatron as a kid which was exactly the same except it had a different face and was dark grey in colour.

xanthor wrote:
    That's the one. But he was called Omegatron over here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Dominatorx

xanthor wrote:
    Bit off topic.... can anyone remember when Convertors actually appeared here?

I could've sworn it was '85... but i know someone who swears it was 83.

Your right it was 85 i got the deltran tracker for my b-day that year (folks were too stingy to buy me omega)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭GWolf

Omega supreme took over Skyfire's role a sglorified Taxi nothing more.

also, am I the only one finding this guy who started the thread a little hard to understand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Dominatorx

GWolf wrote:
    Omega supreme took over Skyfire's role a sglorified Taxi nothing more.

Yup
    except he ran outta gas or fell apart far more often

had his one moment of glory cut out of key to vector sigma
    The original script called for him to b shown fighting shockwaves goons thus explaining the damage that caused him to explode after the ferry ride home

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Dominatorx wrote:
    Yup
    except he ran outta gas or fell apart far more often

had his one moment of glory cut out of key to vector sigma
    The original script called for him to b shown fighting shockwaves goons thus explaining the damage that caused him to explode after the ferry ride home
    You know I always imagined that secene in my head. Maybe I just like Omega Supreme and didnt like the idea of him being defective.

Advertisement