Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Inline Skates ! ?

Options
  • 16-12-2006 2:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭

HI,
    Ok... I need help.... I bought , about a year or so ago, a pair of 39.95 Lidl Inline skates and i was & am hooked on skating but now they are too small for me . Now before ye all shout at me for this and that ... i have done some R&D and a rule of thumb is that skates under a hundred are , for a better word, crap. But i love these Lidl skates, BUT They are my first ever pair so i dont know any better. OK ... now i dont want a pair of Agressive skates with 2 wheels .... I want a pair similer to these LIdl ones ( Picture posted). But i dont know where to catagorise these skates :Fitness or Speed ? Mabey they are in a categorie , I just dont know what . Or just store junk. Anyway , I found these 4 wheeld skates perfect and they went pretty fast ,if you could recommend a pair of new skates for me, i would really appreciate it .... Even beter ones just not too differant... faster etc.

Ps. Preferablly a pair of skates i can buy in ireland , in a real shop. That skate shop in dublin, Gervis street ... seems fine and i considered saying all of this over the phone to the sales person but retracted.

Pss: I am a size 13 :D

Psss: I dont want to pay too much ... up to around 150 give or take.

Thanks alot,
    Barry

EDIT: Just to say ... I dont skate any particular way... I mean i dont really fit into the categories of Agres , fitness , speed ... you know ..... I just skate around alot.... and its good excercise , no matter what skates. And ... just for an example ... i might skate around for 2 hours mabey in a day... mabey a few days a week because its so much fun. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 geeksquad

Hi Barry

I dont want to look like a snob but you pay lidl you get lidl
    Go on temple bar ., there's a shop that sells boards and skates.
    Get yourself a nice decent pair of skates and you 'll notice the difference.

When you're choosing the skates have a look at:

wheels (diameter and how strong/soft they are)
    ball-bearing ( from my experience abec1 tends to be slower but lasts more compared to abec 5 which is the opposite)
    boots ( clamps or shoe-laces...see which one suits you better)

i dont know how good you skate but also have a look at the back wheel to see how inside/outside is positioned , if you're a beginner it will help a lot if the last wheel is a little bit outside the boot ..you wont fall back too much ;)

Hope you got your answers

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

btw that shop in temple bar is called skate city and its just above adhoc/piecrcing place (either body shock or metamophicis,cant remember which it is)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭barry181091

Haven't actually gone out and bought those skates yet :D:D:D Thinking of going up to Dublin this week , going to Skate City and buying a pair of recreational but speedy abec 5 blades :D

Barry

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

It would be fitness/recreational skates you are looking for Barry.They say generally you need a size bigger than your shoe size so try 13 and then 14(if they stock them)just to see which size fits you better.

13 is roughly 1 size bigger yeah.

• Advertisement

Hey I feel like a fool but could someone tell me is Temple Bar far from Houston ??? How would be the best way to get there ?

Thanks Alot,
    Barry.

Basically it is straight up the quays from Houston.The best way to get there is get the first bus for the city centre and get off on Dame street outside the central bank.Skate city is located behind the central bank on a cobbeled street before the archway that leads to the Ha'penny bridge,you cant miss it.
    You could also get off on the quays at ha'penny bridge and go accross the bridge and under the arch and straight up from the arch on the right hand side is skate city you will see the sign outside for it.

OK , A bit confusing :D .... Could I get the Luas , as its right beside Houston ?? ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Bus is better.

Get the first bus to Central bank.
    When you exit the bus keep walking straight until you pass the bank (preferably on the right side of the bank), that's temple bar. Once you're on the cobble stones, Skate City is right there (2nd floor, above the piercing shop as has been said), just ask around.

OK Thanks to both of ye...... OK Now another Q :D, When I buy these skates what will they come with , in the box ? (assuming there in a box) ??

And should I buy anything else while im there (excluding safety pads etc) ??

Thanks,
    Barry.

• Advertisement

Guys im going up tmrw , So please answer my Q soon , Please :D:D:D

barry.

If you allready have pads and a helmet you will not need anything else.But wrist gaurds would be a good idea cause if you fall forward the first reaction is to put out your hands to break your fall.

I wont need extra wheels or stuff like that ??

Barry.

Barry.

AND BTW what comes in the box with the skates ?? (If there is a box)

Barry.

Barry.

You could allways take the wheels off the new skates and put on the wheels from the old ones and ware them down more before putting on the new ones again.
    You will findout tomorrow what comes in the box....enjoy:cool:

Thanks Alot !! :D Im sure the guy that owns the shop can direct me to a good pair , *Hopefully* Hes not just like a salesman who says he knows everything but knows nothing :p :rolleyes:

Barry.

Guys, Didn't go today .... Definatley tmrw :) But anyway I wanted to ask ..... Skate City seems like a small shop , Will I be able to try on the skates etc in there ?? Like a shoe shop of sorts ??

Thanks,
    Barry.

Yes,there should be a choice of colours and styles to choose from and try on,pick which ever fits u the best and suits your pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Just something to be noted about bearings. Just because an bearing might say ABEC 5 doesn't mean it runs faster than an ABEC 1. The ABEC number given simply refers to what tolerances the bearing was made to, the higher the number the higher the tolerance and closer to certain bearing dimesnions was adhered to during manufacture....an ABEC rating does take into consideration the materials used for making the bearing (which is why cheap nasty wheels and bearings can run slowly even though they could meet ABEC 9 tolerances) where a set of ABEC 1's from good materials could run alot faster.
    This could be the difference between Bones and China Bones bearings regarding their price?

OK ..... Thanks for that ! I don't really know what yer man in Skate City sells , but i think its only well known brands , So i *should* be fine . ;)

barry.

• Advertisement

Guys I bought a pair today from Skate City. Xcess skate, MX - SL150 ( 135 EURO ) . Anyone know of the brand Xcess ?? Are they good ? Please give me all of your comments.

Thanks,
    Barry.

PS : I got 2 alan keys and a few manuals in the box :D:D:D:D:D

EDIT : Here's a page about it in an online store : http://www.streetgadgets.com/prod/65/1065/Skates/Xcess_Skates/Xcess_MXSL150_Inline_Skates.htm

Bump.

Come on guys, Now your making me worried ... has anyone even HEARD of Xcess skates :(

Barry.

No Barry I have never heard of them,but it does not matter.Just hit the streets and use them and that will tell you if they are good or not.What did the salesperson tell you about them in the shop.I see they are the ones you can take the boot off and walk into the shops or go for a bit to eat while out skating and then skate away again..dead handy.:D

Are They ?? :eek: I didnt nkow that :D

Barry.

Wait I dont think they are ?? Where did you see that ??

Barry.

The link you posted with the picture suggests that they are the ones the boot comes off the rail so you can walk...but maybe I am wrong..sorry if I got your hopes up Barry.Read the instructions too make sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭oneweb

I'm a size 13 and ended up getting two pairs (Rollerblade) from ebay. Shipping was expensive (get it delivered to work to save taxes!) but was pretty much the only place I could get my size (one pair is US14, the other US15 which fit best) :)

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭darkslider

As far as 'cruising blades' go, all you really need to worry about is the comfort of the boot and the quality of the wheels and bearings. A large number of these blades now have ceramic bearings for less friction, smoother movement and longevity. They aren't going to be taking any big impacts from tricks etc. so as long as the boot is nice and airy and the wheels give fluid movement who cares what make they are.

If you are just getting into skating then there's no point in being a victim of TV and buying €400 pair of salomon cruise skates when you could decide it's not for you. if you do get into it then by all means go nutz!!

Enjoy your skates mate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement