Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biggest download cap bb service.

Options
  • 16-12-2006 5:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hey all,

Here is the thing, I live in the UK at the moment and am quite happy using AOL and its unlimited download cap, but I am having to move to ROI at the end of Jan and here is the thing. Aol told me they dont run in ROI so I need a new provider.

I work as an indie filmmaker/editor and when I work during the day I edit films at the office and then upload the days edited footage onto works ftp and then download at home to watch on full screen and finish, now each days edit is well over 5-6GB's and looking into ROI broadband services the only ones I can find are ones with caps of about 30-40gb max for downloading per month (so after 1 week of edits i would run outta bandwidth!).

If anyone knows of any ADSL broadband providers that work in south-west ROI with a huge download cap, or an unlimited cap (on a home service) please please let me know ive been searching for days without any luck at all.

Thanks for reading... please save me as I MUST review my edits at home and because of size there is no other way to get it there with what we have (no hd-dvd drives etc).

All the best.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

you have 4 options, not all are realistic but anyways

UTV ( and pay an extra amount for the no cap option, ask around here about that )
    Magnet ( either 100GB cap with the 4mb product or 150GB cap with the 8mb product )
    Smart ( Unlimited Usage, and best price, if you can get it in your area, this is the one to go for )
    IBB Breeze ( wireless 'broadband' with no cap however speeds and reliability vary greatly because its wireless and its IBB ) lol

• Registered Users Posts: 44 tedstokes168

thanks so much for your information, I hadnt found out about almost all the services you mentioned, after looking into it things like UTV might be my kinda thing at first look. thanks so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

You could always invest in a portable Hard Drive.

http://komplett.ie/k/kl.asp?bn=10098

If you are moving to west Cork or Kerry then your only choice of the 4 above is UTV!

Oh uploading 5GBytes on the fastest home DSL (384k) would take over 30 hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

surely it'd be more convenient (i.e. faster) just to buy a 2.5" external hard drive and copy files to and from that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

IBB DSL, no cap but an AUP ?????

€22 a month here

http://www.irishbroadband.ie/products_display.php?id=39

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 tedstokes168

Thanks so much for everyones replies.

1) I considered the portable hard drive option and asked work about it but its a security thing (they wont let me or anyone else just incase we take more footage than we are supposed to without permission), using my personal username/pass on a private work ftp they know exactly what ive got and any copies of the material can be tracked back to me etc.

2) The upload time for the connection isnt an issue because the work ftp is a very fast upload and isnt an issue now as i only download the footage at home and not upload any edited material.

3) The area im looking at moving to is the county kerry area so im very interested in the comments made about UTV, im going to look into the requirements details like type of phone line etc or payment options.

I couldnt have found out so much information without the help of you guys
    thanks a lot and ill keep you posted if things change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

depending where in kerry ... but permanet is a wireles offering and it appears that it works fairly well.

I know a couple of people that have it, including one of the guys in work and he has 5mbit with them, I think symmetric so that'd be ideal for uploading etc.

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

www.net1.ie

unlimited downloads but............
    small company and take FOREVER to get out

ie. ive been trying since june to get line test to no avial

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

External USB2.0 or Firewire drive makes more sense. You can get ones that will even play video to TV too.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

again, he has said the only method of access is via remote login with ftp, no physical copies can be created locally and transported.

• Advertisement
Advertisement