Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what new smartphone to get?

• 16-12-2006 3:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭

hi all
    as in title I'm looking to get a new smartphone.
    My current phone is a v1240 wm5 smartphone and I'm very happy with it, the only niggles I have with is the fact that it doesnt have 3g and the camera is awful.
    I've breached into pocketpc in the form of a xda mini-s,a great device but very slow,processor isnt up for the job!loved the keyboard but I couldnt use it for one-handed usage so found it very frustrating,eg sending a quick text message etc, so I think ppc is a no,no.it doesnt suit my lifestyle!
    I've had a few nokia s60's (6600,6680,n70) but found them again a bit slow(not as bad as the xda) and a bit unstable, didnt like too many happening at once so it would lock up,quite a few random freezing aswell (yes,I did keep my devices up to date)...has this changed with the newer nokia s60 (os 9.1)?
    I was looking at the nokia e70,so any e70 users please speak up?
    Any other suggestions would be appreciated,
    my musts:wifi,decent camera(with good video),3g(maybe hspda) and one
    handed usage.

cheers

damo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I don't think there are any phones available here with HSDPA yet really. The only one I know of is the V3xx from 3, which isn't really a smartphone. It does support 3.6 Mbps HSDPA, though, so it can be used as a high speed data modem.

A colleague of mine has the E70, the one with the fold-out keyboard, and swears by it. I've used it once or twice and it seemed great, even has a really good web browser and VoIP client.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

my musts:wifi,decent camera(with good video),3g(maybe hspda) and one
    handed usage.

Nokia N80? runs 9.1.
    Nokia E61 - has above but no cam, 2 hands...
    N95 (if you can wait) will have hspda.

The current S60/9.1 symbian phones (imho) are much better multitaskers than comparative WM5 devices..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

cheers lads
    e70 has everything i need i'd say!
    n80 is quite big(thickness)and has terrible battery life.
    would like to stay with windows cos bought a fair amount of software for it (especially gps).

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Have an N80 myself, and battery life is rather poor. If you use the phone a lot, you'd need to recharge daily. Though apparently it's good to regularly charge Li-Ion batteries anyway, unlike Ni-MH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

still..its a pain in da arse to charge daily, your buggered if you forget to charge it!!

so where can i get my hands on a e70?
    vodafone said they have it through business tariffs, but being on vodafone contract for 2 years now, im sick to death of them with overpriced tariffs etc etc etc(rant over!).

i guess simfree is my only option?

damo

• Advertisement
Advertisement