Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bodywork fairly damaged and need to do my full license test

Options
  • 16-12-2006 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm driving my first car, a 95 civic. As is common with first cars, it has suffered a few bumps and scratches. The worst happened the other day when I reversed into a low bollard:mad: The back window still closes down fully but the lock is smashed so it wont stay shut. So anyone can swing it open really.

Anyway, I still have to do my full license test, and after that I am planning on going away travelling.

Do you think I would be failed instantly given the state of the car?

Also, could anyone recommend somewhere I could pick up a Civic wing mirror? Mine was kicked off:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

You'll find bits for your car in practically any scrap yard,i know i seen some in the yard directly opposite the redcow last week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Why don't you do a couple of pretest lessons and hire the instructors car for your test, you'll stand a better chance of passing as the tester will see you've had some lessons and you won't have to spend a fortune fixing your car up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Cianos wrote:
    Hi,
    I'm driving my first car, a 95 civic. As is common with first cars, it has suffered a few bumps and scratches. The worst happened the other day when I reversed into a low bollard:mad: The back window still closes down fully but the lock is smashed so it wont stay shut. So anyone can swing it open really.

Anyway, I still have to do my full license test, and after that I am planning on going away travelling.

Do you think I would be failed instantly given the state of the car?

Also, could anyone recommend somewhere I could pick up a Civic wing mirror? Mine was kicked off:(

Q. What are the principal vehicle requirements for the test?

A. The vehicle must be roadworthy. Among other things this means that the brake and indicator lights must be working, where seats are designed for headrests they must be in place and tyres must be properly inflated with at least 1.6 mm. tread depth. If the vehicle is considered not to be roadworthy the test will not be conducted, you will forfeit your fee and you will have to re-apply for the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Do as Junkyard suggests. If all the essential parts are repaired the tester would probably not refuse to carry out the test but a young male in a skanger/boy racer car (sorry but the civic does have that image) with obvious accident damage is not going to make him more likely to pass you.

Do your test in a driving school car, it is stressfull enough without potentially getting on the tester's bad side before you start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

I'd go with the leaving the car in ****e, doing a bunch of lessons and passing the test in a driving school car option. It'll also increase the odds on the Civics remaining body work remaining intact and unblemished.

I spent a couple of grand on my first car, it picking up a few knocks because its a first car is just stupid. I can't afford to fix it so I'm very careful with it, as much as one can be when your always late.

• Advertisement
Advertisement