Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need advice on what gloves to get

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

If you are going for the Thermastretch and are either Medium, X-Large or XX-Large :), these guys have last year's ones for only £12.99. Free postage to Ireland, although you have to phone them, (I was buying a jacket as well though.) I'm large myself, think I ordered the last of the Large size Thermastretch. Expect to get them early next week, here's hoping (I cannot believe it but yesterday I looked out, saw it was raining, and thought, meh, if it's raining it can't be _that_ cold, I won't bother with the gloves. WHAT WAS I THINKING!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I wear gloves practically every day between November and March. I have a light pair when it's not really cold and I wear ski gloves when it gets icy. This morning was pretty nippy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭roadmanmad

in frost.

Ski gloves from lidl or similar.

Slightly cumbersome but effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I got Cannondale Windfront winter cycling gloves and I'm pretty happy with them - here's my review: Cannondale Windfront Gloves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭gzoladz

I wear polar gloves. Never needed to go for snow globes as I dont think it gets that cold.
    Bought mines in Amsterdam but you can get the same here in Penneys, Dunnes or similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

cozmik wrote:
    or would I be better off buying a new pair like the Altura Thermastretch Gloves or Assos Als Insulator Gloves?
    I've had a pair of yellow Thermastretch gloves since April this year. I really like them. They are reasonably water resistant and keep my hands warm.

Some gripes: the fingers do not have any grippy stuff so when my brake road bike levers are wet I don't have the greatest grip on them. (I've taken to putting a bit of old inner tube around the levers - that's working well).

The thumb does not have windproofing on it - my thumbs can get quite cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

I wear neoprene diving gloves through winter - perform as well in wet as dry and reasonably nimble. Probably not any cheaper than custom cycling but you may be able to get them cheap if you know any divers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Yeah, I wear Neoprene windsurfing gloves when it's wet in the winter, they're ideal because if they're a little wet the warm up well, and they have a fingerless boom-finger, ideal from braking or changing gears.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I picked up a pair of Thermastretch for winter rides this year and I'm pretty happy with them. Very warm, but you still have decent mobility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

I have these guys, but they don't perform when it's wet. Thinking the neoprene gloves are a good wet-day idea alright!

DeFeet gloves

• Advertisement

I got my Thermastretch gloves in the post today. They seem very good and comfortable and there is a useful high-vis triangle on the back. I see exactly what daymobrew means with them being slippy on the brake levers, what on earth Altura were thinking here I honestly don't know. And today was not wet! Overall I'm happy with them though, especially at GBP12.99.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

Trojan wrote:
    I got Cannondale Windfront winter cycling gloves and I'm pretty happy with them - here's my review: Cannondale Windfront Gloves.

I decided to give these a try and although the grip and fit of the glove was excellent they did not keep the cold away sufficiently for my taste.

I brought them back and exchanged them for a pair of Pearl Izumi Amfib.
    http://www.pearlizumi.com/product.php?mode=view&product_id=527534&type_id=1&sport_id=5&category_id=9&color_code=021
    I know it's a lot to spend on gloves but I can't stand to have cold hands!! :)

kind regards

cozmik

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Yeah, although they're very windproof they don't seem to be suitable for near and below zero temperatures unless you've got really good circulation and don't get cold easy.

In really cold conditions I reckon you're looking for something like ski gloves (but waterproof).

Well having had the Altura Thermastretch for a few days now I would have to say I don't find them very warm. Not 100% sure but it may be related to the freezing fog, perhaps they are OK in very dry conditions but certainly the last few mornings my hands have been pretty freezing. My M&S leather gloves certainly a lot warmer.

Advertisement