Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help!

Options
  • 16-12-2006 4:22pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey, just want peoples opinions on some of these books I'm looking to buy on Adverts.

Orson Scott Card - Enders Game
    Bob Shaw - Terminal velocity
    JMH Lovegrove - The Guardians
    Ben Bova - Mars
    Raymond E. Feist - Magician
    Raymond E. Feist - A Darkness at Sethanon

George RR Martin – A Game of Thrones
    George RR Martin – A Clash of Kings
    George RR Martin – A Storm of Swords: Steel & Snow
    George RR Martin – A Storm of Swords: Blood & Gold

Richard Morgan – Altered Carbon
    Harry Turtledove – World War: In the Balance
    Greg Bear – Darwins Radio
    Stephen Baxter – Flux
    Bill Napier – The Lure
    Robert Heinlein – Stranger in a Strange Land
    Dan Simmons - Hyperion
    Dan Simmons – The Fall of Hyperion
    Richard Paul Russo - Unto Leviathan
    Kim Stanley Robinson - Red Mars
    R. Scott Baker – The Darkness that Comes Before
    Susanna Clarke – Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell
    Brian Lumley – Necroscope: The Lost Years
    Susan Price – The Sterkarm Handshake

The ones in italics I have already got, Bold I am going to buy.
    Out of the rest, any suggestions for a good read?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Ender's game is pretty good. Nice sci-fi novel about the training of young kids to be space commanders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭MagnumForce

Orson Scott Card wrote the insults in Monkey Island 1 & 2, theres a bit of usless info for you.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Stranger in a Strange Land is one of my favourite books. I could read it again and again and again and again. It's science fiction in a way but mostly it's a kind of commentary on society as a whole. Excellent book.

I enjoyed Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norell, the book is written in the style of a Victorian biography/novel which makes it a bit different. It's a long book but well worth the read.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

Orson Scott Card wrote the insults in Monkey Island 1 & 2, theres a bit of usless info for you.

It's almost worth buying just because of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I enjoyed Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norell, the book is written in the style of a Victorian biography/novel which makes it a bit different. It's a long book but well worth the read.

I agree 100%, this is the best new book I've read in years. Absolutely fantastic, well plotted, very well written and characterised. Just brilliant! Buy, buy, buy!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

+1 for Jonathan Strange, great book.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

more info on a lot of them floating about in the sf forum.

Simmons' hyperion cantos is a great series, you'll have to get endymion and the rise of endymion for wehn you finish the first two.

kim stanley robinson's mars trilogy is fantastic too, dont forget to get green and blue mars wehn you get teh chance. lots of real scienfigfificiftc possiblities in it

also really enjoy most of the stuff greg bear writes, i enjoyed darwins radio. nice bit of genetical scifi

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Thanks, I'll buy the ones suggested! :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Think I will go for:
    Susanna Clarke – Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell
    Raymond E. Feist - Magician
    Orson Scott Card - Enders Game
    Dan Simmons - Hyperion

I like the sound of them.
    Any other suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

My suggestion is go out now and buy Jonathan Strange and stop wasting time posting here, it's ****ing brilliant!

• Advertisement

Hah, I've made an offer for it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

John wrote:
    My suggestion is go out now and buy Jonathan Strange and stop wasting time posting here, it's ****ing brilliant!

QFT!

Don't visit the website until after you have read the book!...or is that akin to asking someone not to think of a pink elephant standing on a football?

Seriously great read :)

As a last suggestion from me, try Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman, I loved it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Tar - you also NEED Stranger in a Strange Land! I guarantee that you will enjoy it!

Hmm, you put across a persuasive point. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

you also need to buy books for teh wonderful ppls who made you suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Buy those they are a great fantasy read - yes the series losses some cohesion with time but the second book alone is worth buying the entire series.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

God yes buy these, I couldn't actually put them down.

Books for all, *throws randomly*

I could only get some as his brother had taken some.

Got:

And three others. I can't recall. I think Enders game was one.
    Mayber Stranger in a Strange Land and Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell were teh other two. Dunno.
    Anyway 6 books for 12e will do fine for now.

As for A song of Ice and fire, of course I already own them. :)
    They are in my top three series.
    Absolute brilliance. Read the 5 books in about 5 days, couldn't put em down.
    I'm rereading them at the moment, on the fifth one. Read some really fast again. So good.

Advertisement