Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to remove red wine from carpet?

Options
  • 16-12-2006 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I had a shindig last night and some fool spilt red wine on my carpet. What is the best way to lift the stain?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

salt should help absorbe some of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I always heard soda water or white lemonade lifts red wine. Or a Stain Devil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

A Time Machine...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

salt unfortunately is an immediate remedy. You have to get the salt down immediately.

Soda water also has to be used straight away.

A time machine can only be used by jade monkeys, I do not have a jade monkey.

Anyone ever had to remove a dried wine stain?

All joking aside, I wouldn't be very optimistic. I drink a lot of red wine, spilling much of it in the process. If it ends up on clothes, I bin them. Old stains are a torment to be around.

I genuinely think it's 'Damage Limitation' time:

1. Get cleaning product.
    2. Apply elbow grease.
    3. Lament.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

You could always try an insurance claim....

invest4deepvalue.com

Don't insurance claims have to be for a minimim amount? He spilled some wine, he didn't explode his house with TNT.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

If its dried in ur prob goosed but head to shop and get one of those stain devils and a sponge. (use a cloth afterward)

If u have some white wine that can work too, but generally only if the stain is fresh.

Your other option is a rug.

A RUG!!! Excellent. Lay down some plastic sheeting over it though, so we don't have this problem again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

If it has dried in use some white wine to loosen the dired stain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

rediguana wrote:
    Don't insurance claims have to be for a minimim amount? He spilled some wine, he didn't explode his house with TNT.

I had a friend who had battery acid from a smoke detector drip down on her (Large) hall carpet while they were away on honeymoon, they got it replaced on the household insurance. Check your policy you should be covered, isn't that what insurance is for, to protect you in the event of an accident?

invest4deepvalue.com

Do-more wrote:
    I had a friend who had battery acid from a smoke detector drip down on her (Large) hall carpet while they were away on honeymoon, they got it replaced on the household insurance. Check your policy you should be covered, isn't that what insurance is for, to protect you in the event of an accident?

Never let 'fact' get in the way of a quip ;)

I still think it's too small though! Perhaps it was a Jeroboam that was spilled...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You could try some of that pink Oxy-whatsit stuff they're always advertising on the telly.

if all else fails...

Cut out two squares of carpet ( one visible and covered in red wine and the other under the sideboard or somewhere hidden) and use some double sided carpet tape, swap the pieces over and if done carefully you should have a nearly invisible repair.

if all else fails...

Cut out two squares of carpet ( one visible and covered in red wine and the other under the sideboard or somewhere hidden) and use some double sided carpet tape, swap the pieces over and if done carefully you should have a nearly invisible repair.

That's another great one!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

if all else fails...

Do you do nixers? :D

faceman wrote:
    Do you do nixers? :D

Only if you bring the carpet to me :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 moto2006

In all seriousness, I recommend vodka. Never tried it on a stain that was more then a few hours old though

Advertisement