Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

squeaky suspension

Options
  • 16-12-2006 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭

My Dad has a 1999 Saab 9-3

Having borrowed his car for a while I noticed at in the morning going over speed bumps outside my house the suspension makes a loud squeaking noise.

This only happens for a short distance in the morning as its fine for the rest of the day . On my way home from work going over the same speed bumps there is no noise?

Its just passed the NCT so the bushes etc should be ok

Any suggestions what could be causing this noise in the mornings

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It may not be the suspension rather I'd be thinking of cold brakes first thing.

Next time it happens (ie tomorrow) give the brakes a prod when the noise occures.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Barr wrote:
    Its just passed the NCT so the bushes etc should be ok
    Not necessarily. My 156 has passed the NCT recently but the front upper wishbones squeak going over bumps. I'll be getting them replaced in the new year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Sparks2000

Lex Luthor wrote:
    Not necessarily. My 156 has passed the NCT recently but the front upper wishbones squeak going over bumps. I'll be getting them replaced in the new year

fuks sake!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Brake/suspension tests on the NCT will just about tell you if your car will kill you on the way home. Any better than that & yer on yer own!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Sparks2000 wrote:
    fuks sake!
    care to elaborate...?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭AlienGav

Bushes, a cheap an easy fix! i'd try them first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

As LexLuthor mention upper wishbones also called upper links(ithink).Some where near the top of the shock, anyways got the same noise from my 96 primera

Cubix

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

Thanks foir the replys
    Next time it happens (ie tomorrow) give the brakes a prod when the noise occures.

I tried this today going over the speed-bump and it stopped the noise but not too sure if it was because it slowed the car right down.

The thing I find strange is it only makes this noise when its cold in the morning - once the car is warmed up theres not a rattle or squeak no matter what the road condition.
    If it were the wishbones/ droplinks/ bushes I thought the car should be making noise constantly not only the first 5 minutes in the morning. I could be corrected here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Barr wrote:
    If it were the wishbones/ droplinks/ bushes I thought the car should be making noise constantly not only the first 5 minutes in the morning. I could be corrected here?

This is true

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

it could well be the bushings on the wishbones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Barr wrote:
    The car is probably settling overnight due to gravity and something (maybe a worn bushing) is compressing slightly. When you drive the car the next day the suspension makes noises at first but after a while the part that has been compressed frees up and the noise goes away.

Advertisement