Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Multitext AFT Realtime Message Relay Server (recieve sms on your PC like msn!)

• 16-12-2006 6:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hi, if you don't know who I am, I'm one of the guys who maintains and develops the AFT related services.
    I am going to demonstrate an exciting new feature which is supported by the latest beta of Multitext - recieve sms messages on your computer!

First off, this feature requires you to posess a valid AFT user account (http://sms.donutsoft.net) and a valid AFT 959 number. Consult this tutorial in the wiki on how to setup an AFT account and a 959 account.

I am going to assume you have a working AFT account and 959 account, i.e. you can send messages to your 959 number through the service and recieve them on the phone you have specified to recieve the messages.

Right, you need to download the latest beta of multitext. Refer to this post by ciaran. It looks like ciarian didn't supply the winsock ocx with the package, therfore if you recieve an error message on the startup of mt complaining that it couldn't find something called "MSWINSOCK", please download the ocx from my site here and copy it to the dir in which the multitext exe is located, and restart multitext.

Launch multitext and select the "Aft Gateway" button; the screen should change and look something like this:
    go.php?341098288647d49b1f4e12dba4a69834

Enter your appropriate AFT user login credentials and select the "save login details" checkbox, and then click ok.

You should now be back on the main multitext screen, i.e. there is the textbox to send a message etc. Now click the "Extras" button, your screen should now change to a panel with 3 checkboxes and 4 command buttons.
    Select the checkbox "Connect to Aft Gateway automatically" and the "Show msg box on new gateway msgs".
    Your screen should look like this:
    http://forums.computerboffin.com/imaging/go.php?b3f80b211bfd524903672d469a678fb8

When you selected the "connect to aft gateway..." box, a message box should popup saying something like "Welcome to the AFT Message Relay Server..." - that means you are successfully connect to the gateway!
    The label on the bottom of the screen (in the second rectangle box) should now say "Aft Gateway Online", in comparision to before you selected the checkbox when it would say "Aft Gateway Offline".

Now, here is where the fun stuff happens :)

If you have your phone handy and it's running Dal's AFT client, send a message to your 959 number (if you don't know it, you can view it in the 959 setting pages on the AFT user site (sms.donutsoft.net)). You have to be using the AFT User functionality within the AFT client, and not simply the straight meteor, vodafone or o2 login functionality.

If multitext is running a little box should pop up on the right with the message you sent, like this:
    go.php?d9488ec5232be58b57013868b7a65e35

If for some reason the box doesn't appear, click the "AFT Gateway" button again, and see if the message is in there. Strangely enough, the box didn't appear when I was running multitext under Vista, that's why the theme of my last screenshot is different, since I ran it under my XP machine then.

You can also send the message to your desktop from inside your current MT session, by specifying aftuser as a login and simply sending a message to your 959 number. Example:
    go.php?fc248db0afea351c8e11f470d5d7782c

You may be saying something like "woah, that's pretty neat, but how do I still recieve messages to my phone when people send a message to my 959 number?". Well, when you launch multitext and it successfully logs in (the welcome message is an indicator), the gateway sends a message to donut's gateway telling it not to forward any messages sent to your 959 number to the phone in which you specified to recieve 959 messages. His gateway will forward the message to my gateway which will subsequently forward it to you. Obviously once you close multitext, my gateway tells donut's gateway to now forward any messages recieved to your phone.

If your running multitext and you're loggedin, you will recieve any messages send to your 959 number. If you're not running mt, your phone will recieve the messages.

This service is stil in beta, so if you encounter any problems please post them here or on Ciaran's forum.

The functionality took a lot of effort on my, donut's and ciarian's part to get it working. We would definitelty appreciate it if you guys would check it out, since we all don't do this for any money, just for the satisfaction of people using it :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Nice intro Yman, service has great potential. :)

As for the ocx issues, no it's not included at the moment in the package but links and info for sorting it are listed under troubleshooting on www.randomprojects.eu/multitext

I'm hoping to get a basic java implementation of this done too if at all possible, making it more friendly to non-XP users.

p.s. yman - I need to catch you later about server connection code!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 yman

(bump)

It looks like somepeople have been using it successfully :)

Come on, give it a try!

Advertisement