Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Introducing Gareth Bale...

13»

Comments

Didn't Harry try to flog him for 1m at one stage ?

He was poor tonight tbf bar his goal but that doesn't matter now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,794 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Didn't Harry try to flog him for 1m at one stage ?

He was poor tonight tbf bar his goal but that doesn't matter now
    In fairness, it was Harry who converted him from a left back to a winger.

Ronaldo, Di Maria and all the other Real attackers were equally poor until they found themselves in front.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

In fairness, it was Harry who converted him from a left back to a winger.

Ronaldo, Di Maria and all the other Real attackers were equally poor until they found themselves in front.

Di Maria was fantastic this evening, mom for certain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

That's some prediction mate, fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Di Maria was fantastic this evening, mom for certain.

In the first 70 minutes he gave away the ball loads. Played well from there after though definitely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Bale, he was ****ing horrendous tonight, absolutely brutal. He was in the right place at the right time though and got the crucial goal, well done to him.

Di Maria was outstanding as the Athleti players grew tired

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

256394.jpg

12 July 2007; Gareth Bale, Tottenham Hotspur. Pre Season Friendly, St Patrick's Athletic v Tottenham Hotspur, Richmond Park, Dublin. Picture credit: Brendan Moran / SPORTSFILE

hes come a long way......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

dreamers75 wrote: »
    256394.jpg

hes come a long way......

I was at that match. He played very well. As far as I can remember he got a bad ankle injury at the end though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

kryogen wrote: »
    Bale, he was ****ing horrendous tonight, absolutely brutal. He was in the right place at the right time though and got the crucial goal, well done to him.

Disagree. I thought he was ok. He created a couple of decent enough chances from nothing. Did very well for the goal. Was always the most likely to score.

Your boy Ronaldo on the other hand was poison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Delighted for him. I genuinely believed he'd be sucked up and spit back out by the Real machine but he's proved me wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Disagree. I thought he was ok. He created a couple of decent enough chances from nothing. Did very well for the goal. Was always the most likely to score.

Your boy Ronaldo on the other hand was poison.

Ah my boy Ronaldo, what a man, not even playing through injury can stop him

Bale fluffed his lines constantly throughout the game, poor decisions and failing to hit the target and running down blind alleys, if you think he played well then fair enough, as you say, we disagree then.

Di Maria did very well for the goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Bale was poor, apart from the goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Great shout OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,048 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Stop arguing, both Bale and Ronaldo were poor. As well as quite a few other Real players.

But I think the best team won in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

ClE6oPvWEAAojA2.jpg

ClE6pANXIAAnNWn.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I panic when these 10 year + threads get bumped in case I said someone like Kieran Richardson was a better prospect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Clear Hearts

Unearthly wrote: »
    I panic when these 10 year + threads get bumped in case I said someone like Kieran Richardson was a better prospect

I told the lads a couple of years ago, Grealish would be Irelands Kaka

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Pretty ****e again today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Free kick aside he was anonymous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,048 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Poor today, but the way modern football is run and analysed, he will be classed as a genius cos he scored from 35 yards v an average goalkeeper.

To be fair to him, at least he is getting his free's on target, unlike all the other 'dead ball experts'.

This went well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

PHB wrote: »
    A fullback is never worth above 15 million if you ask me, even then. I mean full back is still the least important position in the game, just as it was when we played as kids. I think 15 million is the max you should ever pay for a full back, and I don't think Bale has warrented that tag. I think about 7-8 million, with preformance clauses, and him loaned back for a year and a half is a fair deal.

That opinion has not aged well, PHB!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Mars Bar wrote: »
    That opinion has not aged well, PHB!
    NIMAN wrote: »
    Poor today, but the way modern football is run and analysed, he will be classed as a genius cos he scored from 35 yards v an average goalkeeper.

To be fair to him, at least he is getting his free's on target, unlike all the other 'dead ball experts'.

Although this one appear's particularly prescient :pac:

EDIT: Just realised it's from 2016, not 2006 :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

This is one of the truly great threads on boards.ie.

I'm not a huge soccer watcher so I'm never sure who is in and out of certain teams, who is in and out of form etc.

So when Bale came on tonight I thought "oh yeah him, how is he actually getting on these days at Madrid"

And boy did he let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

I can't help but judge the opening line of this thread being "from the man that brought you Theo Walcott" lol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

All hype, never going to make it.

Rekop dog wrote: »
    I can't help but judge the opening line of this thread being "from the man that brought you Theo Walcott" lol.

Really should've said Wes Hoolahan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

My favourite was a poster who said Liverpool won't sign him because they just bought Emiliano fúcking Insua.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Seems to be back to his best and wants game time, wonder which premier league side will put in an offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Seems to be back to his best and wants game time, wonder which premier league side will put in an offer.

Spurs!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

If only there was a team desperately in need of a right winger and prone to spending obscene amounts of cash....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Maybe last night was just the push Bale needed to realise that he doesn't need Real anymore. Either that or he's just angling for more dollars from them. Either way, I don't give a sh1t what he does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Maybe last night was just the push Bale needed to realise that he doesn't need Real anymore. Either that or he's just angling for more dollars from them. Either way, I don't give a sh1t what he does.

Oh I'd say he might think he needs the £650,000 a week they pay him.

How many clubs can afford to pay that and the supposed £200 million transfer fee?

Of course if he has let his future father-in-law near the money he might actually need that payrise. ;)

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

jmayo wrote: »
    Oh I'd say he might think he needs the £650,000 a week they pay him.

How many clubs can afford to pay that and the supposed £200 million transfer fee?

Of course if he has let his future father-in-law near the money he might actually need that payrise. ;)

If Bale really on 650k a week??? I don't think that this is correct. Last I heard it was 15m a year, which comes out around 350k a week to so, which seems more in line with wages these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

SlickRic wrote: »
    My favourite was a poster who said Liverpool won't sign him because they just bought Emiliano fúcking Insua.

I still fondly remember the summer we kept hearing how Mark Gonzalez was twice the player Cristiano Ronaldo was, and was going to tear the league apart.

And Liverpool were going to win the league. Because it was summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

If Bale really on 650k a week??? I don't think that this is correct. Last I heard it was 15m a year, which comes out around 350k a week to so, which seems more in line with wages these days.

I seen media reports that he's on 400k after tax a week

Advertisement