Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Langtons over 21's????

Options
  • 16-12-2006 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me if this actually true ive heard a lot of people sayin that Langtons is goin over 21's after Christmas and is not accepting any I.D except passport any more....:eek:

tbh i think that this is a terrible idea, fair enough having to clamp down maybe to get rid of most of the young lads that you would see in the place from time to time and the passport thing is fair enough to make sure that they are real id's but in all fairness i think over 21's a bit much.

I mean Kilkenny is not exactly bursting with night clubs, where is everyone under 21's suppose to go no way were all fitting in neros

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I heard that too, but they cannot insist on passport only. Anyway the place is a kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

ah in fairness how can ya say its a kip???:eek:

it is definitely ( i think anway) the best club in kilkenny, there is noting ****ty or cheap about it. its a far from a kip as ya can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭sk8board

greenfly wrote:
    ah in fairness how can ya say its a kip???:eek:

it is definitely ( i think anway) the best club in kilkenny, there is noting ****ty or cheap about it. its a far from a kip as ya can get.

I'll assume you are currently u21 yourself.

give it about 2 or 3 years. Then you'll hate the sight of the place. Far more expensive that even Dublin prices too. Rediculous

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

yea i am...
    thats true the prices are ridiculous, but its still the best place in kk.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I thought the whole "over 21s" thing was illegal due to discrimination law now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I've sometimes doubted if the club was even over 18s. Some of the lads in there look like they haven't started shaving yet...

Dunno about the over 21s thing being legal. Seeing as a bar owner has the right to decide who gets in (via the bouncers, usually) and can have a dress code, maybe they can decide not to let in teenagers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Far as I know, they're not legally allowed to discriminate based on age, race, gender, sexuality, etc. They can tell you to go fcuk yourself if they don't like the look of you though ;)

I just did a quick google search and there are nightclubs in Ireland which are for over 21s. I wonder is deciding not to let people under 21 into a nightclub a different thing to not letting travellers in? Just wondering.

If Langtons are going over 21s, they must be confident they'll still be pulling in massive crowds. If the rumour is true, it'd be interesting to know why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Has it been raided by the gardai recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

Stephen wrote:
    I thought the whole "over 21s" thing was illegal due to discrimination law now?

Yes, it is illegal. Nightclubs do this to "frighten" people away.

Regarding the ID. Unfortunately, nightclubs have the right to ask for specific identification, whether be National Age Card, Drivers Licence, Passport etc.

It is silly if you need to carry around important documentation with you for the whole night just to prove your age.

• Advertisement

There must be forgeries of other I.D. being used widely. Not being a teenager anymore, I'm not au fait with how underage youngsters get into nightclubs these days. I'm rarely in Langton's nightclub these days but some of the people in there, especially the lads, do look a bit young to my eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭djpaul

Bond-007 wrote:
    Has it been raided by the gardai recently?

Yes, but only for going after hours. 2am all music must cease, all out by 2.30
    Langtons got a slap on the wrist..... and the gardai might have got a slap
    back :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

sk8board wrote:
    I'll assume you are currently u21 yourself.

give it about 2 or 3 years. Then you'll hate the sight of the place. Far more expensive that even Dublin prices too. Rediculous
    I couldnt agree more. You'll be sick of all of Kilkennys clubs in a few years (all 3 of them :rolleyes: )

Nightwish wrote:
    I couldnt agree more. You'll be sick of all of Kilkennys clubs in a few years (all 3 of them :rolleyes: )

Hmm, I Agree, I Don't go to nightclubs here anymore too much pushing and
    shoving to get to the bar or toilet etc,:(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

USE YOUR SIZE!, just force your way through, if any one pushes back just kick them ;)

John

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

Lump wrote:
    USE YOUR SIZE!, just force your way through, if any one pushes back just kick them ;)

John

And then we wonder why people get their face bottled, stabbed and beaten up outside. :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Skitbra

About whether it's illegal or not, as far as know, a few years ago it came in that clubs and pubs could not discriminate against people based on age. But that has been relaxed somewhat in the last year or two so that pubs and clubs can now chose what age group they let in. I can think of one particularly annoying place, Howl at the Moon in Dublin, that asked me for ID last weekend and some other people who were 31!
    Therefore I don't think it is illegal in Ireland anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

shapez wrote:
    And then we wonder why people get their face bottled, stabbed and beaten up outside. :(:(

The wink was there for a reason......

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Its only illegal if the club/pub owners do not display this message so that customers can see it clearly!!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭cheerio

So would it be legal not to admit travellers then if you put up a sign saying they weren't allowed in? :confused: It sounds bizarre.

• Advertisement

cheerio wrote:
    So would it be legal not to admit travellers then if you put up a sign saying they weren't allowed in? :confused: It sounds bizarre.

No, Illegal - Discrimation! they can't pull that one anymore. Lots of pubs and clubs have been named and shamed over this even here in kilkenny. Deflamation of charcter etc.

It's probably a grey area but I can't see anyone stopping Langtons if they decide to stop under 21s getting in. Not that it's any great loss anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

I don't see the problem, a lot of clubs in cork are over 23's. Langtons is rubbish though, terrible music, and far too expensive. But it probably is the best of a bad bunch, which doesn't say much about the night life in kilkenny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

i got in there handy last weekend, im 19. dont remember if there were bouncers or not though. dont really remember the place at all to be honest.

Advertisement