Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dell/Vista Incompatibility

• 16-12-2006 7:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭

Im looking at a couple of systems on Dell.ie, the XPS 710 and Dimension 9200. But when I select a processor above 2.13GHz it tells me that it is incompatible with Vista Premium.... whats going on there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭MiniD

A similar question here. I purchased a Dell XPSm1710 last month. I was sure when I bought it that the guy said it came with a free upgrade to Vista in January, but looking at the Dell upgrade page it seems I get the upgrade at a discounted price, rather than free. Does anybody know what the plan is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

I would think that Vista home Basic will be the version that is going to be on most computers, like XP Home is now.

These seem to be the recommended requirements for premium:

1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) CPU
    1 GB of system memory - RAM (Only 256 MB can be used for Integrated UMA Graphics Memory)
    40 GB hard disk with 15 GB of free hard disk space
    128 MB Windows Aero-capable DirectX 9-class graphics card

Aero-capable: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/VistaRequirements.html#Aero

Internal or external DVD-ROM drive
    Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device
    Internet access capability
    Audio output capability

Check the left hand side for the requirements for vista premium

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsvista/aa905075.aspx

Requirements for each version.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/VistaRequirements.html

More relevant information here:

http://news.com.com/Vista+wont+show+fancy+side+to+pirates/2100-1016_3-6060700.html

Im looking at a couple of systems on Dell.ie, the XPS 710 and Dimension 9200. But when I select a processor above 2.13GHz it tells me that it is incompatible with Vista Premium.... whats going on there?

XPS 710
    If you select:

operating system:
    Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005 operating system.

Vista upgrade:
    MCE to Vista Premium Upgrade

Then you can choose any processor you want.

With the 9200 it is slightly more complicated but you can get the right combination to upgrade to a higher processor and premium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

lol! that's such bull****! its not fecking picky about processors! just get the pc you want and vista is compatible.. or atleast it should be. i seriously doubt that's right..

lol! that's such bull****! its not fecking picky about processors! just get the pc you want and vista is compatible.. or atleast it should be. i seriously doubt that's right..

Thats what i thought too, but if you go to dell.ie you will see an incompatability dialog box pop up when choosing a higher processer for the xps 710 and the 9200.

Its stupid really. You should only have to choose the vista premium upgrade.
    But on the Dell site you have to choose the proper bloody OS as well.

I found it easier ordering over the phone than the website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

dell suck, end of. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,372 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

For the inspiron 6400 dell say "The combination of a 15.4" WSXGA+ screen & 128MB ATI® MOBILITY™ RADEON® X1300 graphic card will not be compatible with next generation Microsoft operating system Vista Home Premium and Vista Business! " is this just a driver issue with the high rez screen and vista or just the card being too crappy to handle high res and vista together and maybe it will work at lower resolution settings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

It's probably Dell trying to upsell you hardware by saying Vista wont work etc.

The Inspiron 6400 will run Vista no problem the only area of possible contention would be the 128MB of RAM on the X1300 as you are resolution bound with Aero "enabled" to a maximum of 1900x1200 but seeing as the maximum resolution on the notebooks display is 1280x800 that doesn't apply to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,372 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

8T8 wrote:
    It's probably Dell trying to upsell you hardware by saying Vista wont work etc.

The Inspiron 6400 will run Vista no problem the only area of possible contention would be the 128MB of RAM on the X1300 as you are resolution bound with Aero "enabled" to a maximum of 1900x1200 but seeing as the maximum resolution on the notebooks display is 1280x800 that doesn't apply to you.

the wxsga on the 6400 is 1680x1050, I suppose aero at this resolution and 128mb of gfx ram might be sluggish. I also wonder if the battery performance of notebooks is diminished when using aero

If your going with the bigger display it should be fine at 1680x1050 the GPU is not going to be doing anything else.

Anyway the X1300 supports "HyperMemory" which can make use of the systems RAM if it needs to augment the amount in the GPU on the fly, while not optimal for games for the UI this not a big deal & the transition should be seamless if whatever your doing eats up the RAM of the GPU.

As for battery with Aero enabled it's hard to say till benchmarks are shown but the GPU is running a low level (not at full speed) so it shouldn't affect the battery in a significant manner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

vista is a battery murderer.
    im getting about 50 minutes battery time on vista compared to about 2 1/2 hours on xp

to the op,
    no matter what i select on the dell site i can choose a vista upgrade.
    is it still happening for you?

Is that on the final build subway ?

I have heard for some reason due to a driver issue & wireless networking that the battery is drained like mad in Vista if you disable that it gets closer to XP ?

its rtm alright, ive been running it for a few weeks now and havent been able to get any kind of improvemnet out of it.

i havent tried to turn off wifi, i need to be connected most of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

here wonder would it be choosing xp home as the os have anything to do with it?

Can't see why SoBe the upgrade program works like this;

XP Home Edition = Vista Home Basic Edition

XP MCE 2005 = Vista Home Premium Edition

XP Professional Edition = Vista Business Edition

XP 64-bit Edition = Vista Business Edition (64-bit)

maybe the OP is choosing home as the os and trying to get an upgrade to home premium?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

dont know,was just a thought,according to that page i put up,only from mce upwards do you get a free upgrade to vista.

Windows XP Purchased Express Upgrade to Windows Vista Dell US Price (anticipated)

all the other upgrades say free

very interesting to see that it kills your battery life,not a good sign

Advertisement