Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb???

Options
  • 16-12-2006 8:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭

ok,this is regarding their gb allowance,over the past 30 days (which obviously inclues november)i have gone over 30gb but in december i am a long way below,yet digiweb have slashed my speeds,is this right???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

try here to see your traffic for the last 30 days. It should tell you if you're being restricted also.

This works for their dsl service. Not sure if it also works for other services too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭persian

I get that but what i am confused about is why my speed is slashed as i am under 30gb for december

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Digiwebs cap is a rolling 30 days which is pretty much the best way to have a cap that is to do its job

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

What he means is that it's like a window - Your cap today, is from 17th Nov - 17th Dec 06, Tomorrow your cap will be calculated from 18th Nov - 18th Dec.

Your cap is never "reset" like it is with DSL :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

But Digiweb do the rolling Cap on thier DSL too. So after the first 30 days, the used amout is AWAYS your average usage over last 30 days. You can really see if something has changed (zombie on your networK) as unlike the "reset cap" the 30 day past usage will tend to change very little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Kilree

Hi everyone. I'm new to Broadband and have the Digiweb Metro 3gb service only since 6th December last (no choice as adsl not possible). Therefore please forgive this stupid contribution.
    I'm a bit confused regarding this rolling cap idea. Zoro explained it to some extent but my query is that if I have a 30gb cap and I used it up entirely on say 6th Dec (impossible I know) then I presume that my rolling cap for 6th Dec to 5th. Jan would be 30 gb. If I understand Zoro correctly on the 8th Dec (if I did no downloads or uploads) since the rolling 30 days is now 8/12 to 7/01 my reading would be zero. It doesn't sound right to me and is not what I am seeing when I visit the Mytraffic page at Digiweb.
    Personally I think I would prefer a specific cap per month as I can't really see any advantage to the rolling model. I think it probably means that over a twelve month period a user will get less bandwidth (is that the right word) than somebody on 30gb per month for twelve months (ie 360gb)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Nope, rolling is better in principle as it spreads out the hogging and avoids usage spikes at the end of the month as certain people use their cap up. You can still use the system if you go over the cap but Digiweb will throttle you to 64k or 128k while you are restricted and will not charge you or cut you off .

I cannot think of a fairer way to enforce a cap if you do enforce the cap .

Thanks Spongebob. The way you explain it makes sense. I must apologise to Zoro as having reread his post I completely misinterpreted what he said. I'm embarrassed that I came to such a silly conclusion. Can you clarify one further thing for me. I have, as I said, a 3Mb download speed and when I check the digiweb speedtest it shows on average a 2.5 or 2.6Mb speed. For someone who was on dial up a month age this is fantastic but the fastest speed I have experienced (still fantastic!) on a windows update from Microsoft and a torrent site was around 300kbps. I know speeds depend on the website being downloaded from but isn't 300kbps a little on the slow side for my connection. When I raised this with the Digiweb helpdesk I was told to multiply this by 8 to get my true speed! I don't understand this and wondered if you could offer any help? I also must find a good site which will explain the intricacies of broadband to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Hehe, that old nut throws everyone the first time they see it :)

Your "3meg" speed is really 3 megabits, not 3 megabytes. So to get your _true_ download speed in terms that you can understand you have to divide the 3 megabits by 8, or multiply your download speed by 8 to turn it from kilobits into megabits :)

*sigh* I'm not too good at explaining that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

In theory you should max your downloads at 375kbps on a 3meg line.

Most I've gotten is a sustained 340-350. [torrent]

Usually in the 200+ range tho depending on website.

• Advertisement

Good enough for me Zoro. It is also interesting to read Kaimera's post and the speed I should be getting at max. I think the misunderstanding is compounded by the Digiweb speedtest page which tells you that at the download speed of my connection I should be able to download 100Mb in 5 minutes and also my newbie status with Broadband.
    Obviously the difference is in the bit/byte formula.
    Thanks to you both for the clarification.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

zoro wrote:
    Hehe, that old nut throws everyone the first time they see it :)

Your "3meg" speed is really 3 megabits, not 3 megabytes. So to get your _true_ download speed in terms that you can understand you have to divide the 3 megabits by 8, or multiply your download speed by 8 to turn it from kilobits into megabits :)

*sigh* I'm not too good at explaining that :)
    Megabits per second = Mbps
    Megabytes per second = MB/s
    3 Mbps = 3,000,000 bits per second (bps)
    8 bits = 1 byte
    3,000,000 bps ÷ 8 bits = 375,000 bytes per second (B/s)
    1 kilobyte = 1,024 bytes
    375,000 B/s ÷ 1,024 bytes = 366.21 kB/s

Or the easy way is:
    3,000 kbps ÷ 8.192 = 366.21 kB/s

That's the maximum theoretically achievable download speed for a 3Mbps connection.

Thanks OFDM. Your post makes it easy to understand the way speeds are worked out.

Advertisement