Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another depressed poster

• 16-12-2006 11:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

OK, long time poster but going unregged for this.
    Went through depression about 5 years ago which nearly ruined my life but had been doing good for the past 2 years until I was made redundant a few months ago (so great that I'd started coming off my meds and was down to a quarter of the original dose but my shrink decided to not take me off them completely until I got myself sorted with a new job).

I had been in my job about 7 years so got a bit of cash out of it and wasn't too panicked about getting a new job but found that my confidence had gone when I started going to interviews, but eventually got myself sorted with a new job in October through my brother but lately my mood has just gone down the tubes and I've started getting really bad panic attacks and missing days in work due to it (4 days so far).

Obviously this is really pissing off my brother as it'll reflect badly on him if I screw this up (He's said he'll disown me if I screw this up).

My shrink had prescribed me valium which I was never really taking but now I'm having to take them just to get into work in the mornings.

I'm at my wits end as to what to do and just don't want to go through this whole cycle again...last time I went through a really bad patch I lost the only girl I ever really loved.

Anyway, sorry for rambling on, but just needed to get it off my chest. I really thought I had gotten a leash on my mood and ability to cope with panic attacks but the past few weeks have proved to me that I was wrong and that really frightens me!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Are you doing any counselling or getting any mentoring or personal support, you might find it useful.

I went through a patch where I felt I was overstepping the mark, but in reality I was only being assertive. You need to realise this.

Flipside is don't try to bite off too much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Counselling and/or a support group?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 shane55

Maybe your depression recurred because you cut down your medication. I presume the medication you were referring to that were cut to a quarter were anti depressants. Ive had 5 episodes of depression since I was 18, the last one occurring 5 years ago. After this episode My GP recommended I stay on anti depressants for life in view of my history. I made a decision that I would stay on them for life. People tend to lump anti depressants and tranquilisers into the same category as harmful and addictive. while it has been established that tranquilisers used long term are harmful and addictive there is no evidence to suggest the same about anti depressants. I have been on antidepressants for the last 5 years and have experienced no bad side effects. I look on my need to take antidepressants akin to a diabetics need to take insulin, a chemical inbalance in the brain requiring medication. The amount of people that suffer relapses from giving up or cutting down medication is huge and totally unnecessary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

'Medication is fine, but like others have said, you should go to counselling, support group, life coach...someone just to talk to. It is an great help

Also new job, pressure from the brother, this time of year, can all cullminate in you feeling down again. Talk to your doctor about your medication and also find someone to talk to.

And although this seems like a very simple suggestion, make sure you're getting enough sleep and avoid alcohol.

Hope you feeling a bit happier soon'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭John C

Hallo,

I know above is a cliche. Itis still valid. If one can manage until this evening,
    then one can manage another day. And so on.
    Try not to live life in blocks of 365 days.

Also try to avoid focusing on all those negative consequences of IF IF IF..

You could deal with today's when, the here and now.

Easy for me to type this. If you can put it into practise
    40% of the time, it shall be a great help.

Keep looking on the bright side.

Greetings
    John C

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭~nop~

Heya, just want to say that I am really feeling for you. I'ts a tough patch alright but you need to continue being positive and finding something to make each day matter. Please do talk to someone, whether they be a friend or a councillor, and we all really do go through bad times, but you will come out of it. Good luck!

Advertisement