Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Kia Cee'd - have Kia finally got it right?

Options
  • 17-12-2006 2:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭

Gotta say this car looks impressive saw it at the London Motor Show last July I reckon this'll do for Kia what the Octavia did for Skoda. Reviews so far are good and a seven year warranty - how bad! Surely this will help with the resale value. I know all the badge snobs will be sniggering and guffawing but who cares! Okay the name's crap but is that really an issue?
    Anyone have any idea of the prices? Haven't seen any info online.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

I can't tell the difference between this and a Toyota Corolla.
    You can see where they're aiming for. Brutal name though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Looks identical to the Toyota Corolla H/B from TV ads. Dunno how they got away with it. 7yr warrant though is unbelievable. Crap name I agree. Can't say it looks impressive if its designed like a Corolla.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Car looks ok to me, nothing special but then neither are most of the cars in this class. The name should not be an issue if Kia market the car properly based on its biggest selling point i.e the warranty! The warranty is 7 years or 150 k kms so if you're doing high mileage it will expire well before the 7 years. but for a lot of people doing average or low mileage the car could be a great buy. It will be interesting to see how the car does in EuroNCAP as traditionally Kias, Hyundais, Daewoos and Protons have lagged behind in this area and this has hurt their image.

Even if you don't like the car or Kias generally this car could be good news for everyone if it sells well. Because if other manufacturers start losing sales to Kia it wil encourage them to improve their warranties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Korean manufacturers are fast becoming the benchmark for reliability. My Dad's had 4 Hyundai's nad never had a single problem. You can bet that this car and its components have been extensively tested for them to afford such a fantastic warranty. Hopefully it will shake up the other manufacturers to extend their warrantys from the pitiful 2 years that in the majority of cases was forced on them by the EU

If I was in the market for a small family hatch then this would be top of the list

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Spit62500

20k for the 1.4 which should be well equipped. can't remember if the Irish entry model has air con or not. 23k for the 1.6 diesel so priced to match the competition. Maybe trade-in allowances/cash discounts will be more generous?

They're built in a brand new factory in Slovakia with an emphasis on high quality and a Toyota-like stopping of the production line and re-education of workers if problems are found. Kia seems to be very confident with this car.

There'll be a derivitive called the Pro Cee'd which contiues the trend of strange/corny names....

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

undoubtably this new kia will like nearly all korean cars theese days be very reliable , thiers no arguement there
    the problem with this car like all cars from korea is thier complete lack of personality , design or charechter , thier all the same , be it kia , hyundai or the awfull chevrolet which was previously daewoo
    ill take my unreliable alfa romeo any day over a korean metal box with 4 wheels
    someone metioned that this kia ceed might do for kia what the octavia did for skoda , you forget that the skoda octavia is a volkswagon with a different badge where as the kia is , well a kia
    oh yeah and i think skodas are very smart , not just reliable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Great cars, pity about their dealer network though.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

irish_bob wrote:
    ill take my unreliable alfa romeo any day over a korean metal box with 4 wheels

Most won't!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Looks nice, very european with a hint of " Alfasud " thrown in with the back pilars, which all the cars in this segment seem to have. I like the spec, and a 1.6 diesel is going to be a good seller.

Where are they sourcing the diesel engine is it the ford/pug/cit 1.6HDI unit? if so then I'd say they are onto a winner at 23k its very good value.

Overall I think I would say yes, esp with the 7yr warranty, I'd say a lot of owners with cars over 5+ years (think about all those '00 cars) and a couple of kids will gladly trade in for one of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I hear bad stories about their engines giving poor fuel economy though.

Plus read the small print on the warranty, you might not be covered for things that you think you should be. Alot of items on a car come under wear and tear category and therefore you will have to fork out the cost for a new item.

The car doesnt look to bad to be honest. Its a good budget car and does what a good budget car should do.... Get you from A to B with value for money with none of the luxurys found in Skoda or VW etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Think the OP is a bit unfair.

The Sorrento is a fine machine, and the new sportage aint half bad.

So "finally got it right" is a wee bit unfair, imo.

kluivert wrote:
    I hear bad stories about their engines giving poor fuel economy though.

Plus read the small print on the warranty, you might not be covered for things that you think you should be. Alot of items on a car come under wear and tear category and therefore you will have to fork out the cost for a new item.

The car doesnt look to bad to be honest. Its a good budget car and does what a good budget car should do.... Get you from A to B with value for money with none of the luxurys found in Skoda or VW etc.

While I dont know about terms and conditions of the warranty, I think you'll find you get a LOT more luxurys in that KIA than on any skoda octavia or VW golf, half leather, USB and AUX sockets to name a few.

Just on to the dealer there, (its MY lunch) he's going to email me the warranty, also the diesel will be out in march, and the petrol is a 1.4 110bhp unit, which by normal standards is fairly decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I like the look of it, but there's jsut something niggling inside me saying "the day you buy is the day you sell" and the day you sell part is the bit that would worry me. I doub't there'd be any problems until then. Dell have added Kia to their company car list, which suggests they might be trying to write off more tax...a friend's dad got a Sorento last year from a Saab 9-3 and hasn't had mush trouble, but passing in the opposite direction it looks like he's crouching to see out, and he's not all that tall

But it's far from "budget" in that segment with cars like the unpopular (not without reason) Stilo around.

Most people who buy the main competitors (Toyota, Ford, Nissan, VW) generally don't buy for the warranty, they buy because they feel they won't NEED the warranty. 5-7 years seems to be pretty standard in the states though.

from the dealer.

The only information I can get is that the warranty is that it’s a 7 year bumper to bumper warranty. The warranty carries over from owner to owner. I can’t be exact on the exceptions however the minute I find out I’ll let you know.
    Try logging onto www.kiamotors.ie for more information. Here are my on the road prices and spec.

LX: €20345
    Spec: Metallic Paint, Electric Windows, Remote Central Locking, Immobiliser, 6 Air Bags, Air Conditioning, CD Player, Adjustable Steering Wheel, Rear Head Rests, Front Fogs, Steering Wheel Radio Controls, Front & Rear Armrests, IPOD Connection, Height Adjustable Drivers Seat.

EX: €21845
    Add: ½ leather seats, 15’’ alloy wheels, leather steering wheel, rear electric windows.

You can also see better pictures of the actual cee’d we have at www.jackdoranmotors.ie and click on used cars and then kia cee’d

7 years 150k km powertrain
    5 years 150k km entire vehicle

EX: €21845
    Add: ½ leather seats, 15’’ alloy wheels, leather steering wheel, rear electric windows.

Kia websites states that it has 16" alloy wheels.

I dont trust dealers. They would be good at poker. Bluffing their way, maybe its a mistake though.

With 109bhp it seems nippy enough. The proof is in the testing though. Need to drive it to get a good feel of it and then go drive a corrolla and see what the difference is.

kluivert wrote:
    With 109bhp it seems nippy enough. The proof is in the testing though. Need to drive it to get a good feel of it and then go drive a corrolla and see what the difference is.

I'd say the Kia will take very little work to be more of a "driver's car" than the Corolla, but then again how many people buy a car for the drive

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

From what I've read the 1.4 is 108 bhp but with 108-110 bhp from a 1.4 it is well ahead of its class rivals. Especially Ford and VAG with their 75-80 bhp units.

So it has an excellent engine, good equipment, looks OK and has a great warranty. Reviews say that the handling is about average but the ride is too hard. That's the only bad thing I've heard about it and in any case there are a lot of hard riding cars in this class.

Now if the car can get a 5 star NCAP rating then KIA could have a major sales success on its hands. Also, because of its warranty, the car could cause something of a revolution in the motor industry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Still some cheap looking plastics in the ould interior:

jackdoranCEEPEW407.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

looks like its made out of the same stuff as this

526246_20061015011022_9.jpg

and this

tomhogangalway3971_3.jpg

=ninty9er I'd say the Kia will take very little work to be more of a "driver's car" than the Corolla, but then again how many people buy a car for the drive

I never it was a drivers car, just saying that you need to take it for a test drive before considering whether to purchase the car or not.

I never liked the new interior of the Golf, I prefered the Mk4.

Its looks to be a nice enough car.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

speaking of interiors, this just in. New Corolla Irish Luna model interior

interior02.jpg

sorry for the ridiculously large picture! :o

nope, the silvery bits come on the Luna model, as do all the buttons, even base Terra models will have a 6 cd in dash changer and nine airbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

colm_mcm wrote:
    nope, the silvery bits come on the Luna model, as do all the buttons, even base Terra models will have a 6 cd in dash changer and nine airbags.

Sorry just deleted my post about lack of silvery bits and buttons there when I saw the word luna! You are quick in reply!

It is a good looking dash. No aircon on the luna?

Irish luna models will have aircon. not Strata or Terra models though.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

colm_mcm wrote:
    Irish luna models will have aircon. not Strata or Terra models though.

Since it is on the Irish Toyota website the launch date must be soon or maybe they are keeping it back a bit to flog the remaining old model in January.

Any definate launch dates Colm? I heard the Corolla saloon will arrive before the Auris hatchback.

• Advertisement

the new saloon is on the toyota ireland website, launch very soon. Auris won't be for another few months. not many old models knocking around, still very popular.

Advertisement