Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do they get away with it? Off for the Week! [MERGE]

• 27-10-2006 10:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭

Well well well.

So far I have noted three of RTE Radio 1's main presenters off for the whole of next week

Maxi

Collins

Tubridy

The rest of us have to be back on Tuesday.

Anyone know what the deal is here?

Any more??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Well well well.

So far I have noted three of RTE Radio 1's main presenters off for the whole of next week

Maxi

Collins

Tubridy

The rest of us have to be back on Tuesday.

Anyone know what the deal is here?

Any more??

"Privilege days" - the bonus of the civil service worker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Priviledge days??

We are talking 2006 now are we.??

Priviledge days??

We are talking 2006 now are we.??

well, maybe it was a little tongue in cheek. Having said that tho, they are entitled to holidays, no?

and don't you hate listening to them anyway??:p

No I don't begrudge anyone holidays indeed.

Just that their "holidays" seem to mirror the school year.

I certainly don't have that set up.. Do you?

Fair play to you if you can get away with it.

I'm sure the people working in Iarnrod Eireann ,Bus Eireann and Dubbalin Bus would love those conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

FlutterinBantam I thought you were posting to tell of your impending holliday from his forum! ;)

Yep I heard the parish notices as well, ain't it great to be on 200,000 plus and be guaranteed 10-12 weeks holliers a year.

Mike.

Heh heh, Sorry raising yr hopes (and many others!)

No,seriously, I think we accept far too much from RTE and other organisations. We happily accept whatever they throw out without any recourse to challenge them on issues even as relatively trivial as this.

I can't help thinking that there is some dude down in Montrose laughing into his sleeve and saying into his white wine in Kielys of a Saturday night " Jaysus Killian when will those geezers out there cop on to the fact that we are bleeding them dry"?

Thats probably totally untrue;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Nonsense thread, tbh.

I'm sure you could take the holidays if you have the time built up.

You would find that these broadcasters don't take off any days midweek or the odd "duvet day", so their holidays are saved in chunks.

A horrible thing, envy. ;)

Indeed!

Even more horrible to be taken for a ride at your own expense and not be able to do anything about it-thats seriously horrible:D

Finally DMC reveals himself to be.......Ronan Collins! :D

Mike.

• Advertisement

Even more horrible to be taken for a ride at your own expense and not be able to do anything about it-thats seriously horrible:D

So you don't begrudge them taking holidays, so you begrudge every single RTÉ employee? Damn, those are green tinted glasses! :D

Expert trolling, btw.
    Mike65 wrote:
    Finally DMC reveals himself to be.......Ronan Collins!

I can drum better.... ;)

Now I dont begrudge anyone holidays, however as stated in a previous post ,I have every right to question why the "first team" almost en bloc dissappear from the air waves every school break. I am a stakeholder in this organisation,I pay a hefty fee each year pay their wages,and expect the best possible service. To describe querying something like this as trolling is just a tad harsh.

I did notice Mr Hook on Noostalk emphasising that they will be on air all next week, so the opposition have this noted as well.

Ya see, everyone has an opinion on RTÉ. You appear to have more of a negative attitude to our national broadcaster. And I dare say you are not alone. A lot of the national press feel that way too (I'm looking at you, Evening Herald!)

I give them the benefit of the doubt, but I also recognise that I don't want a pound of flesh. Everyone wants value for money, me included. I complain through the proper channels, rather than complain on the interweb. My complaint about an employee and a publication is being dealt with. Much better that way.

Vent your spleen to audiencecouncil@rte.ie

There are a lot of things wrong in Donnybrook; as you may have seen I point them out here quite frequently. But there is a lot to defend about them too.

If you really wanted to complain about people taking holidays, complain about politicians, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

I've no problem with presenters taking a week off here and there, but what does piss me off is when the likes of Pat Kenny take nearly two months off for the Summer.

Good work if you can get it. I only get a fortnight off:(

That is EXACTLYmy point.

They have the same holidays as teachers for 10 times the salary.

DMC.. I have several times complained to RTE and got back the usual stock reply.You know what it is, I'm sure.

Thank you for that link,I will have a look at that .

As I pointed out on other threads,I listen to RTE1 quite a bit , but I expect value for money

They keep their contracts very close to their chest, and rightly, commericial value etc.

I agree, the 2 month thing looks like a joke. I don't think Tubridy gets the same deal as Kenny, though, he's often back in August and gets 2 hours for that.

There is one other thing that stuck me, and its not that uncommon in old state companies. Maybe, for the hours they put in, they get time-off in lieu of pay? Of course, we only think that they waffle into a mike for hour or two, but what about preparation, research etc? Pat Kenny, for instance on Fridays is on the radio at 10am, but still on the TV close to midnight? Tubridy works a 6 day week?

I'm just surmising here, playing devil's advocate. I'd still love to be on their pay! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

DMC wrote:
    Of course, we only think that they waffle into a mike for hour or two, but what about preparation, research etc?

I remember Gerry Ryan saying once that he worked until 4 or 5pm, preparing for the next days show, plus I imagine he shows up well before 9 o clock to read the papers etc.

Still, it's a lot of money for what they do.

Not that I'd say no to it if I was in their position, ya know, but still..........:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I remember Gerry Ryan saying once that he worked until 4 or 5pm, preparing for the next days show...

Who'd have thought it takes him that long to decide what he wants from next morning's breakfast menu eh?

Ah now they work pretty hard sure enough.

What amazes me is that in spite of all the "hard work" they still have time to open supermarkets/barber shops/write newspaper columns/edit magazines/attend every dogfight between here and Timbuktu.

Ah they work pretty hard indeed..Uhmmmmmmm

Ehmmmm.. Looks like half of Montrose was over in Chicago for John & Moya's new musical. Maxi,Gerry & Mora,Gay & Kathleen.

Who else...?

Lets listen for the free plugs to find out.

Nice one, all buck-shee I would opine?. Now I am jealous

• Advertisement

Ahhh... if its not wallet envy, its clique envy.. ;)

Granted, if this is brought to light on any show, there would be cause for complaints. No one is a fan of junkets*

*unless you are the one getting the freebie :D but seriously if you are a public figure, its high on my radar.

I note now that

Pat Kenny and Ryan are also off, for the week one presumes?

The reserve team seem to be manning Morning Ireland for the week too;)

Pity Mooney and Donohue wouldn't take a break-permanent!!:cool:

RTE keeps Dail time basicly.

Mike.

Suprising, the Dail was sitting today.... and I thought they took a week off for a public holiday! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

mike65 wrote:
    RTE keeps Dail time basicly.

Mike.

...and salaries it would seem.

I havn't heard Cahill on Drive time this week..hmmm
    seems to be a kind of hierarchy out there .
    Do you get teachers holidays or do you get the same as the rest of us.

I hear Joe Jackson has prerecorded about 200 hours of stuff for the Xmas period;) ;):D

I wonder are they all having an Inchydoney think-in? Or drafting a Mullingar accord?? :D

Just skimming through the Xmas radio schedules and see the usual so called "A listers" are missing from RTE1 all over Xmas and the New Year,and all at the same time!!.

They are just back after a week off at Halloween.

Cannot understand how a public service provider like RTE gets away with this.

Place will be on autopilot, with the joys of recorded programmes from Joe Jackson and Brendan Balfe..maybe even auld Val will get a run out.

And they have the nerve to critisise other business... rip off I say Rip off!!

• Advertisement

So why open another thread, when all the same arguments will crop up?

Yawn. Change the record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Threads merged.

Jaysus... is Balfe still going? I had him as a lecturer in college.... brrr... bad memories.

At my station there is always a large list of people looking to get a slot on xmas morning. I'm hoping to get something myself even though I'm not really into the whole presenting thing... just so I'll have something to do as I'm usually sitting in the office there on xmas morning anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭yamo

broken record...

what is the bee in your bonnet in relation to rte?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

i read last week that between mooney, kenny, tubridy etc they'd have to cover a day each all day for the week of christmas as the new station head doesn't like pre recorded programs, so tubridy has to do 1 by 9 hour shift instead of 5 x 1 hour shows for the week, same for the others mooney and kenny only doing 1 hour less in their all day shift than they'd normally do all week, as i understand it they won't be doing their own programs but a magazine type program, i'll have a look for a linky, but it was in the paper.

not the case. there isn't a talk radio station in the world that would ask a presenter to cover an 8 hour shift on their own, even if it was a magazine style show with music allowed.

rte's xmas schedule is available in the sunday times culture section/rte guide etc. will be some live programming, with a lot of documentaries, music shows and other bits and bobs thrown in. plus quite a bit of sport the week after xmas as they cover the leopardstown festival.

I have no bee in my bonnet with regard to RTE.

However, I do expect some kind of value for money for the fee I pay each year.In my honest opinion,that does not include being forced to listen to recordings and repeats for the two busiest holiday weeks of the year,especially potentially the biggest audience is available

Just to put the station on auto pilot for two weeks in my opinion is not good enough and bearing in mind the vastly inflated salaries these people earn ,again in my opinion,this is not a good use of taxpayers money.

I will always hold this opinion unless things change,but I won't hold my breath as the gurus out there havn't the balls to confront the vested interests and the unions.

• Advertisement

You love chasing your own tail.:rolleyes:

There is nothing to discuss here since the last time I entered into correspondence in this thread. Complain to RTÉ, don't come back here and regurgitate the same old tired posts.

DMC - the anti internet! :D

Boards.ie closed due to lack of posts, etc ;)

Mike.

DMC wrote:
    You love chasing your own tail.:rolleyes:

There is nothing to discuss here since the last time I entered into correspondence in this thread. Complain to RTÉ, don't come back here and regurgitate the same old tired posts.

Well, its somewhat theraputic to rant a bit here I will admit.

No use whatsoever complaning to RTE ,all you get is the stock answer and nothing else.

Have I not made even O N E valid point???:rolleyes:

Well, its somewhat theraputic to rant a bit here I will admit.

No use whatsoever complaning to RTE ,all you get is the stock answer and nothing else.

Have I not made even O N E valid point???:rolleyes:

One in your eyes maybe, but there is no point banging on here and whingeing about it all the time. I betcha any money, you'll be here at mid-term break, St Patrick's Day, Easter etc. banging on at the same point.

Can I ask what stock answer you got when you did complain? Some people come here to complain, but don't complain directly to the source of the problem. They just want to go on an Anti-whoever whinge. Thats why a lot of people don't bother complaining, because they think know the answer they might get, or either the matter seems trivial. Who is to know that they know you (or others) feel this way?

Whingeing is bad if you don't follow it up. Don't bother replying to the thread until you get some sort of a reply from RTÉ.

DMC, I've lost a little bit of respect for ya (I'm sure you're worried). Please don't dictate what people can talk about - The thread title is clear, the username is displayed, so if you don't want to read it, don't open the thread. Ranting is what boards is all about. (or of course you could always report the thread)

• Advertisement

tbh, tbh, I think you may find that I'm playing the ball (the post) not the man.

If there is nothing to add since the last time the thread was created, or if the OP has complained to the proper channels, rather than just come on here and repeat the same issues he has again, there is a touch of "whats new about it?"

They won't know its an issue to him until he complains.

No question you played the ball, DMC, I'd have been highly surprised if it had been any other way - I always find your posts very well-informed, you're one of the few posters I would acknowledge as an authority on any subject. (enough of the arse licking now)

The fact is tho, that if Bantam wants to whinge, he should be allowed to do so - you're not forced to read it. But that's all I wanted to say and I've said it now :)

Of course he's entitled to post, if he so wishes. I won't deny him the right to do so. I don't mod anymore ;) I just feel the thread is going around in circles without anything new actually occuring. Spleen vented, as it were.

Thanks for the nice comments. Likewise, with the LTI forum, a very important addition to boards, which will come in more useful to me in the coming months. You mod a good ship there. :)

'Your concerns have been passed to the Controller of Programmes"
    End of story ,end of interaction.

As this is a radio forum I feel I am entitled to post on what I consider is a very important radio issue.I will listen with interest on how the national commercial station reacts to its first Xmas of nationwide broadcasting.
    I can't help drawing the analogy of Ryanair and Aer Lingus in this scenario.
    Aer Lingus, when it had a monopoly, rode roughshod over the punters and only when the harsh winds of economic reality whistled past their nose cones did they sit up and take notice of what the PUNTERS wanted.

I live in hope that maybe RTE might have noticed that trend,and instead of suiting the so called A listers, might remember who pays their wages at the end of the day.

I suspect Newstalk's schedule will be based largely around pre-recorded 'best of', with various standins doing the shows around xmas week. at least, that was the way things worked when I was there. Media organisations are the same as any other company - people want to have time off at christmas - not just the presenters, but the researchers, sound operators, producers etc.

as for christmas being one of the busiest times of the year from the point of view of an available audience - my experience would suggest that the number of punters listening decreases at this time of year - particularly to news/talk radio programming. People are happier listening to the fairytale of new york for the umpteenth time on music radio stations, or they're listening to the new cd/ipod/mobile phone they've gotten from our fat bearded friend in the red suit.

In fairness, RTE over xmas is far from being on autopilot. There will still be live programming of one form or another on throughout the holiday season, as there will be on all stations, be they local or national. However, I would hazard a guess that a lot of the hours on all stations will be filled by pre-recorded material.

as for your question about whether or not you made one valid point - well, you did. It's just that you keep making the same point over and over again without developing it, offering a solution or making it slightly different from the posts (as DMC rightly pointed out) which we will doubtless see over Easter, the summer and any other holiday season when RTE presenters take holidays....

Very fair response there Yamo.Of course everybody wants to be off at Xmas,bus drivers/theatre staff/airport people/retail workers etc. but because of the business they are in they cant pull down the shutters.I would include RTE in that category but.... well.

Anyway...I am going to listen to RTE 1 quite a bit over Xmas and the New Year, I will note the repeat content . the 'Joe Jackson content' the truncation of current affairs programmes and other stuff that bugs me.

I will evaluate, and depending on my reaction will send an e-mail to the controller of programmes and...wait for it...and the good readers of the radio forum on Boards.ie will be the first to see whatever reply I get.

Hows about that then:D

That's cool with me. I would like to see the replies there.

yamo is perfectly right in thinking that audiences for radio drop off severely over the Christmas period. TV walks all over radio at this time of year. But you also get the chance to produce specials and innovative programmes into the schedules. I for one don't want the same programmes all the time. Its right to try something new, Christmas would be a good time to do it.

WRT comparing to Bus drivers etc, there are opportunities for overtime in workplaces like that, where in RTÉ, that might not be the case.

The truncation of news and current affairs programmes I can understand, as the Govt is on holidays, press offices aren't open, and a lot 9-5 places (Judiciary, state quangos) are closed for the period. There's a whole lot of discussion gone.

I note that in the RTÉ Guide, the Newstalk schedule is the same as normal for the 25th, but that might be laziness either on the part of Newstalk or the RTÉ Guide itself.

Fair enough DMC.. being picky.. why does the radio listnership drop off during the Xmas period?,too many frikken repeats and general drivel.Which came first? Chicken or egg?...anyway will do as planned and will report back if sufficiently riled up to compose e-mail

Byeeeeeeee:D

Everyone is gathered round the cathode ray fire!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

yamo wrote:
    not the case. there isn't a talk radio station in the world that would ask a presenter to cover an 8 hour shift on their own, even if it was a magazine style show with music allowed.
    no no yamo an eight hour shift does not equal an eight hour show, they'd be doing three hours or so with music and sports bullettins, ms Leddy apparently doesn't want to many prerecords on the air, but they have to be around for the time period in case there is any breaking news, 8 hour work is what they normally do anway by the time their research and program planning is sorted.Kenny was quoted in the article, if i could get my hands on it, saying it's not a bad idea, that when the tsunami happened they covered it quite well as there was a live presence there,rather than just techies and prerecords.

• Advertisement
Advertisement