Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do they get away with it? Off for the Week! [MERGE]

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Fair enough DMC.. being picky.. why does the radio listnership drop off during the Xmas period?,too many frikken repeats and general drivel

Well, people's everyday routine is broken up.
    You are not necessarily in a traffic jam going to work over Christmas, all the kids are off school etc.

The routine of a radio schedule tends to mirror what people do in everyday lives, people do something else while listening to the radio, its wallpaper for the most part; in the car, doing house work etc. They don't sit at home, smoke a pipe and listen to ceili music a la 50 years ago :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I see Davis in for Duffy today... Has Duffy's voice finally given out or has he joined the INTO as his absences seem to mirror those of teachers holidays.

With four times the frikken pay:cool:

'tis mid-term in a lot of schools, alright. Going back to your Christmas report, when some names hung around, is Duffy the only one off this week? Mind you, he does have school going triplets! :D

Give me Davis over Duffy any day, or is Joe lying low after the John Waters Eurovision spat?

Collins is off today...but only for the Monday it appears.

Don't know if there are any other teachers out there;) early days yet.

Regarding Waters... jaysus.. shows what a hard neck and knowing the other

open toed sandal dudes in RTE can amount to.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You'll find Tubridy gone and Moncreif on Newstalk (Twink is sitting in!). I'm sure a few more will be shown to be absent.

Mike.

Thats right.... as the Dublin man would say "Tubberys gone for the week.

Pity that absolute GOON at 3 o'clock wouldnt permanently.. I heard the f****r shrieking while I was on the pot and I damn well nearly put a seven iron thru the tranny... Gimme Twinkle any time!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

DMC wrote:
    'tis mid-term in a lot of schools, alright. Going back to your Christmas report, when some names hung around, is Duffy the only one off this week? Mind you, he does have school going triplets! :D

Give me Davis over Duffy any day, or is Joe lying low after the John Waters Eurovision spat?

Do the "first team" players feel secure about letting their locums present their programmes ? Derek Davis is sound IMHO and always does a good job with Liveline. When was the last time that you heard Joe Duffy thank Derek Davis for presenting in his absence ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Ray777

Pity that absolute GOON at 3 o'clock wouldnt permanently.. I heard the f****r shrieking while I was on the pot and I damn well nearly put a seven iron thru the tranny... Gimme Twinkle any time!!!!

"Ya wanna hear more?!"

Does anybody else shout "no I don't, you cunt" at their radio, when he says that?

Ray777 wrote:
    "Ya wanna hear more?!"

Does anybody else shout "no I don't, you cunt" at their radio, when he says that?

:D:D:D:D

Post of the year.....

And I thought I was the only one!!!!

• Advertisement

If by chance I should have made it to the end of Liveline that desperate appeal sends me straight to somewhere (anywhere) else. Who thought it would be anything other than an outrageous presumption anyway?!

Mike.

Speaking of Liveline:D

I noticed a couple of articles in yesterdays Sindo and todays Indo having a right auld go at Duffy. Apparently he has some liver with INAM over some criticism of him and never loses an opportunity to have a pop.

Jody Corcoran and Ian O'Doherty took a few pops in the above mentioned publications and must say the content went down well with the auld Bantam:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Ray777 wrote:
    "Ya wanna hear more?!"

Thank God I'm not alone!!!

Speaking of Liveline:D

I noticed a couple of articles in yesterdays Sindo and todays Indo having a right auld go at Duffy. Apparently he has some liver with INAM over some criticism of him and never loses an opportunity to have a pop.

Jody Corcoran and Ian O'Doherty took a few pops in the above mentioned publications and must say the content went down well with the auld Bantam:cool:

Read O'Doherty's piece yesterday, and agreed with it. Also made the point that Derek Davis was on last week. Duffy just doesnt know when to say.. "hold on, your point is trite, next caller."

DMC wrote:
    Duffy just doesnt know when to say.. "hold on, your point is trite, next caller."
    It's a shame Derek Davis is winding down his career. He's an overlooked gem in Irish broadcasting and really shows up Joe Duffy when he stands in for him.

Is Kenny gone for the week?

I see McGuirk sitting in for him today... It must be written into their contracts to have as much time off as teachers.

In fairness to Kenny though ,he works hard for it... I don't begrudge him.;)

• Advertisement

Kenny was there yesterday.

It's a shame Derek Davis is winding down his career. He's an overlooked gem in Irish broadcasting and really shows up Joe Duffy when he stands in for him.

Yes, I've always liked Derek Davis, a natural broadcaster. I'll forgive him for Dead at 4 and the sailing programmes, as he was a very good newscaster on the 9 o'clock in the 80's, and his radio columns on 5-7 Live were entertaining and hit a lot of buttons.

Ian O'Doherty's piece from last Monday's Indo chastising Liveline....

Free speech: why it's not a blanket freedom
    http://www.unison.ie/columnists/ian-odoherty/stories.php3?ca=430&si=1783582
    Monday February 26th 2007
    We Irish, we're told, love talking. We have the gift of the gab, we kissed the Blarney stone or, more simply, we simply love the sound of our own voices.

Nowhere is this more obvious than Radio One's Liveline, a show which feeds on our national obsession with telling as many people as we can about every aspect of our lives.

Most days, tuning into Liveline will simply reveal that many of us have rather unusual opinions, some of us are quite mad and then there are others who should simply never be allowed near a telephone.

But, under the tutelage of Joe Duffy, every opinion is given equal weight, no matter how absurd, badly thought out and ignorant it may be.

A classic case of this blanket acceptance of mad people came when one caller rang in during the Hot Press cartoon furore. The cartoon, which featured a priest taking himself in hand, was a disgrace against God, thundered the irate caller, who insisted that the magazine be withdrawn, nobody should ever buy it again and editor Niall Stokes should be sent to Lough Derg to learn some manners.

When Stokes pointed out that since the man had already admitted that he hadn't actually seen the cartoon he was perhaps less than qualified to comment on it, Duffy responded with an outraged "don't disenfranchise him".

Of course, everybody is entitled to an opinion, no matter how deranged or misguided, but the problem with Liveline is that it legitimises the mad people and marginalises people who might actually say something worth hearing.

Last week provided an interesting insight into a growing class of people who seem incapable of accepting any responsibility for anything.

We see these people all the time in our daily lives: they are the people who park in the yellow box on the road and refuse to move; they're the people who throw litter on the ground and refuse to pick it up and, last Monday, Liveline introduced us to the most extreme example of refusing to accept responsibilty, Bernadette Jacob.

In an astonishing exercise in stupidity and blinkered thinking, Jacob went on air to defend her son, Steven, who had viciously battered his teacher in class.

One would have expected the mother to be contrite, admit that her son was a little sh1t* and announce that she was going to be grounding him until he was 40. But nope, what we got instead was both remarkable and nauseating in its fatuous self-justification.

"I told him he should not have hit the teacher the way he did," she whined. "I'm not condoning what he done, it was wrong that he hit the teacher in such a hurtful way. Steven did assault him and hurt him, but he wasn't disruptive in class." And then she pointed out that her darling boy said "there were two of them in it".

It's hard to know which is more incredible: that this idiot is indignant because she thinks her son is being treated unfairly over the assault, or that she was prepared to go on the national airwaves and make a fool of herself.

As she repeatedly pointed out, her son had "never done this kind of thing before" - as if the fact that he had never beaten up a teacher before that day was a mitigating factor - and was really a nice, sweet boy despite all the evidence to the contrary.

But her decision to go on air is part of the Irish urge to legitimise everything by discussing it on radio. Talk to Joe - or in this case the immeasurably superior Derek Davis - and your problems will go away.

In this case, thankfully, the audience seemed united in outrage.

But it won't be too long before the next fool like Mrs Jacob and the absurd Marcus Sweeney - who also recently self-immolated on the show - comes along and digs themselves a deeper hole.

Will they never learn?

Sums up pretty much how I hate that type of phone-in.
    I think the only decent one that I'm warming to in a way is "Loosetalk" on LMFM and Michael Reade.

* printed as was in the artlicle, the boards filter though otherwise.

Yep that sums up the failings well, Duffy is a popularist and ever since his days as El Presidente of the Students Union of Ireland has been whipping audiences into a frenzy. Unfortunatly if he is working with low-grade material (which is usualy the case on Liveline) the result sounds hysterical.

His habit of repeating the offending aspect of someones call is madening - "you were charged €85.50 for a plate of chips - A PLATE OF CHIPS!? €85.50 FOR A PLATE OF CHIPS, JEEZE!!!!! etc. I supppose if they had any serious quality control there would be very little 'Tyburn' excitment...

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Yep that sums up the failings well, Duffy is a popularist and ever since his days as El Presidente of the Students Union of Ireland has been whipping audiences into a frenzy.
    ...and he was an activist for the Irish Student Communist Party. And he had a beard. The man is just pure evil.

Seriously 'dough', why he gets €250K a year is beyond me.

• Advertisement

Its worse than I thought! :p

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I really liked his single though ;)

No.. I can't figure that one out :rolleyes:

Cranks-on-45?

Mike.

I see the plank is off for the week,probably sunning his buns out in Portugal,fair play to him.

Others all seem to be intact,looks like the new woman sorted that little perk out.

Will be interesting to see if Marge is on Sat and Sun.

Matt Cooper is also off.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭sudzs

...and Gerry "The Slug" Ryan is also away...

HURRAY!!!! :D

It goes on on on!!!!!

:D

WTF:eek:

Finucane off this week AND next weekend.

Getting half a mill to traipse around the globe on holidays .

Nice one if you can get it.:cool:

Totally wrong though.

Holy camole!!!

Duffy gone for the duration as well!!! and "the finest" is standing in.

I wonder was Ryan x2 over in NYC to see John & Moya's "great success".

For the love of God, the licence payer is sure gettin value for money:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Everybody needs a little time away, I heard her say, from each other...even lovers need a holiday far away from each other..........

Jeez your'e right,I was wondering why it was so quiet ,sure everybody got the two weeks off for Easter,and 3 months at the Summer,and Halloween for a week and Paddy's day for the week, not to mention Xmas and the New year.

Why didn't I think of that,with all the shops/banks/airports /hospitals/cinemas /supermarkets/prisons closed ... I knew there was something up.

Advertisement