Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PDC World Darts Championships - Day 1

• 17-12-2006 11:34am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So its that time of year again when the biggest darts tournament in th World hits our tv screens as Day one of the Darts World Championships is on tomorow in the Circus Tavern in Purfleet. Defending Champion Phil Taylor has his opening match as does last years beaten finalist Peter Manley. Irish eyes will be on Mick McGowan though as he takes on Matt Clark. McGowan has had a terrific year and has stormed up the rankings so im hoping he can do well. If he wins his first match then he will more than likely have to play Taylor. The good news is that McGowan has already beaten Taylor this year.

The lineup for tomorrows matches is as follows:
    1pm Ronnie Baxter v Adrian Gray

2pm Steve Maish v Wynand Havenga

3pm Terry Jenkins v Mark Lawrence

4pm Matt Clark v [B]MICK MCGOWAN[/B]

7pm Chris Mason v Wayne Atwood

8pm John Part v Alan Green

9pm Phil Taylor v Anton Pein

10pm Peter Manley v Dave Jowett

So we have two weeks of the highest quality darts available to us. I wish I could take the time of work so I could see every match but ill settle for taking a half day tomorrow so I can see McGowan play.

GAME ON :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

Leaving work as well at 3.30 to see how Mick get's on would love to see him on stage against Taylor in the next round!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

The first shock of the tournament comes in the very first match as Adrien Gray beats Ronnie Baxter 3-2. I didnt see the game as im in work but I really thought Ronnie had a chance this year. Seems as if his doubles is what has let him down in this match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

Ronnie is one of my favourite players because of his natural ability but sometimes he drives me bananas - really thought he would do well this year after last years disappointment and his experience with the Premier League.............was hoping he would do well and maybe get a wildcard in to this years prem league - but that defo ain't gonna happen now.

Mick Mcgowan is 1set down.........but I think he was againist the throw.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

MBC wrote:
    Mick Mcgowan is 1set down.........but I think he was againist the throw.

1-1 now and he is a leg up in the second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

Very exciting day of darts apart from the last two matches, Mick looked a bit nervous at times but proved he has what it takes at this level really looking forward to the match against Taylor this should be a cracker, Mason threw some great darts at times last night he hit 8 180’s in his match!

Ronnie Baxter 2 Adrian Gray 3:eek:
    Steve Maish 2 Wynand Havenga 3
    Terry Jenkins 3 Mark Lawrence 1
    Matt Clark 1 Mick McGowan 3 :D

Chris Mason 3 Wayne Atwood 0
    John Part 3 Alan Green 2
    Phil Taylor 3 Anton Pein 0
    Peter Manley 3 Dave Jowett 0

MICK McGOWAN 3-1 MATT CLARK
    (0-3, 3-0, 3-2, 3-1)
    IRELAND'S Mick McGowan enjoyed a dream Ladbrokes.com World Darts Championship debut, coming from a set down to win 3-1 against Matt Clark.

McGowan has enjoyed a dream year on the PDC circuit, and came through the qualifiers to book his place at the Circus Tavern.

Despite struggling with a bout of 'flu over the weekend, McGowan booked his place in the last 32 - and a potential clash with defending champion Phil Taylor - with a fine win.

Clark began brightly, taking the first set 3-0 and scoring well, but McGowan found his range in set two.

The Irishman hit eight ton-plus scores and two 15-dart legs to respond in kind to Clark and level matters.

Further legs of 13 and 15 darts saw McGowan move 2-0 up in the third set, with Clark hitting back to square the set in 15 and 14 darts before the Ireland Open Classic champion landed double top to edge ahead.

A 117 finish helped McGowan into a 2-0 lead in set four, and though an outstanding 161 finish kept Clark in the game, the debutant held his nerve with a 13-darter - including three 140 scores - to seal the win.

• Advertisement

Delighted for McGowan. Looked like he was suffering from the nerves in the first set as he lost in 0-3 but he picked up his game and played some good darts to win the next three sets. McGowan wont be afraid to play Taylor as McGowan beat him just 5 weeks ago so im looking forward to a great second round match.

I agree with Carrickman, Mason looked like he was back on form as he played very well to cruise past Wayne Atwood hitting 8 180's on the way. I just hope that Mason can keep his head and not let his demons get to him. We all know he has the talent to go all the way but too often his head drops and he loses. he has a tough second round against Part now which is a repeat of an epic match the two played last year where Part came out on top.

Part had a very tough first round match against Alan Green which almost went to the very last leg. Part looked to be cruising as he went 2-0 up in sets but all credit to Green who raised his game and won the next 2 sets. Part then missed 6 darts to win the match before Green fought to within one leg of the match. Green never got a dart to win though as Parts experience came through and he won the final set 6-4. Part will have to raise his game to beat Mason but it was a great first round match and pure darting entertainment.

The Taylor against Anton Pein match was a total walk over for Taylor where Pein only had darts to win one leg which he missed. Taylor didnt even raise a sweat as he cruised past Pein. The same can be said of Manley who cruised passed Dave Jowet in straight sets. I think the occasion got to Jowet and he suffered from nerves but Manley is safely through.

Advertisement