Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cricketers you do not like

• 17-12-2006 12:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭

Just to get away from the threads that just describe test matches... here's one to start a lively debate (I'm hoping!)

What cricketers just get on you wick? Past or present, who do you just don't like. You don't have to give a reason, but there must be some players you cannot stand the sight of! :D

Maybe we could nominate the Annoying XI :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Boycott was a dull boring bastard of a cricketer....grind grind grind....yawn. Oh you got another century after 2 days batting. Snore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This lot

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

lol, all 397? :D

I can't stand Graeme Smith, so every time I see him fail (which is quite often in the last year!), it gives me no end of pleasure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

DMC wrote:
    lol, all 397? :D

I can't stand Graeme Smith, so every time I see him fail (which is quite often in the last year!), it gives me no end of pleasure!

why dont you like Smith? the guy is one of the best captains in cricket, plus, he`s still only 25!!!

for me, its gotta be Ponting, he comes across as a right ****, he`s smug, arrogant, and he doesnt walk when he knows he`s out, he`s a little prick, i cant stand him in fact

why dont you like Smith? the guy is one of the best captains in cricket, plus, he`s still only 25!!!

Part of me wonders about the circumstances of him becoming captain, after the 2003 World Cup. It seemed so engineered, it was like a coup. He was made captain with little experience, I think he only played two or three tests. He had a good couple of years, but I think he is beginning to falter. Even ignoring that, I'm not so sure he's such a good captain.

I agree with you about Ponting, but at least he does talk the talk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭decies

mike65 wrote:
    This lot

Mike.
    More like the whole of this lot
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_Test_cricketers
    Well done australia the whole of waterford applauds apart from mike and a chap who works in the mall and regi who moved on to better things:D :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭regi

If I still lived in waterford, you could add me to that list :mad:

oh, that little muppet Michael clarke go onto my list as well, his little dance after Flintoff was bowled by Warne was the final nail in the coffin

plus, a female aussie friend of mine met him on a plane in australia once and said he was the most obnoxious person she`d ever met

the girls a bit of a slaper, so thats some statement to make :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

for me, its gotta be Ponting, he comes across as a right ****, he`s smug, arrogant, and he doesnt walk when he knows he`s out, he`s a little prick, i cant stand him in fact
    would agree myself, dont like him,a bit of bodyline in the next test would bring him down a peg or too

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

decies wrote:

Fascinating contribution - you don't like cricket but you post on the cricket forum. Sounds like the very definition of a troll.
    decies wrote:
    Well done australia the whole of waterford applauds apart from mike and a chap who works in the mall and regi who moved on to better things:D :D

Do you applaud India for their first victory in South Africa as well? Or is this just immature cod-nationalist England bashing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

TrueDub wrote:
    Fascinating contribution - you don't like cricket but you post on the cricket forum. Sounds like the very definition of a troll.

Do you applaud India for their first victory in South Africa as well? Or is this just immature cod-nationalist England bashing?

I think it's you thats sounds like a troll tbh.

Mike posted a list of Aussie players as his most hated, I don't see you complaining about that. It's his opinion and he's entitled to it. If someone doesn't like the English cricket team it's 'cod-nationalist English bashing'? Well I'm sorry but that's rubbish. Throwing accusations like that around makes you look like the immature one. So please grow up.

Oh and back on topic, I'd have to say Ricky Ponting, mostly because he's so fecking good and never gets out cheaply :D

TrueDub wrote:

What are you on about have played the game for years !!!!!!!!!
    Not that you know much about it.........
    Have you got a problem me supporting the aussies the english were damn lucky the last time and scraped the series,your getting well beaten this time get over it and grow up for yourself..........
    Australia and west indies both two teams i have seen in a test match are my favourites,guess that blows away your argument then you dont like Cricket!!!!!!!!!

kyp_durron wrote:
    I think it's you thats sounds like a troll tbh.

Mike posted a list of Aussie players as his most hated, I don't see you complaining about that. It's his opinion and he's entitled to it. If someone doesn't like the English cricket team it's 'cod-nationalist English bashing'? Well I'm sorry but that's rubbish. Throwing accusations like that around makes you look like the immature one. So please grow up.

Oh and back on topic, I'd have to say Ricky Ponting, mostly because he's so fecking good and never gets out cheaply :D
    Thank you thats a fair and balanced comment .
    God almighty the words "whinging poms" comes to mind ..........

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

decies wrote:
    Have you got a problem me supporting the aussies

None whatsoever, if that's actually the case. It didn't sound like it though, especially your post in the other thread.
    decies wrote:
    Australia and west indies both two teams i have seen in a test match are my favourites,guess that blows away your argument then you dont like Cricket!!!!!!!!!

I'm an Irish bloke who plays cricket week in week out, and I do like the game. What I don't like is the mean-spirited attitude of some Irish people (not necessarily you) who feel they automatically have to dislike England.

But hey, I've nothing to prove to you, just as I'm sure you feel you've nothing to prove to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

At least I was joking (well half so).

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I was going to nominate a few Waterford fast bowlers but I can't seem to recall any now. :D

I'd have to go with Boycott. In fairness, he knew how to grind down the opposition but what a dose to listen to! "When I were playing for me country....." :eek:

There's very few cricketers I could say I actively dislike, as even the ones that annoy me are usually interesting to watch, and it may just be one aspect of their play/personality that irritates me. For instance, I could watch Shane Warne bowl all day & all night, but his excessive appealing does grate.

However, the player I dislike most has to be Andre Nel of South Africa. His over-the-top petulant agressiveness just makes him boorish and charmless, while too often he fails to back up his posturing with performances. It's a shame, as he has the potential to be a class cricketer, but he gives me the impression that intimidating the opposition is more important to him than actually getting them out. I'm probably wrong on this, but that's my impression.

Adam Parore (not exactly a phd candidate himself) once described Nel as having "the IQ of an empty swimming pool"... :D

Andre Nel reminds me a lot of Merv Hughes, not the most subtle of sledgers, and lets that overshadow his game.

At least Merv had the 'tache to hide behind :D

Boycott.... the one flaw in his current persona is putting down people who haven't played the game to his level. He reminds me of Uncle Albert in Only Fools and Horses, and his "in my time" waffling. He hates journalists who've only wrote about the game. I thought he was going to say something along those lines to CMJ in a test recently, but he thought better of it!
    He's very incisive, but that's just pure annoying.

However, the player I dislike most has to be Andre Nel of South Africa. His over-the-top petulant agressiveness just makes him boorish and charmless, while too often he fails to back up his posturing with performances. It's a shame, as he has the potential to be a class cricketer, but he gives me the impression that intimidating the opposition is more important to him than actually getting them out. I'm probably wrong on this, but that's my impression

gotta agree with you there, but then i hate all bowlers that try and try the ball back at the player after he blocked it, its just being a p rick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭Bobo148

John 'Boy' Mooney
    Kevin O'Brien
    Thinus Fourie
    Niall O'Brien

That's enough for starters....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Shane Warne - drug cheat! Dislocated his bowling arm 5weeks later back playing international cricket tests positive for duiretic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement