Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lost 218gig from 250gig drive after XP Install

• 17-12-2006 2:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I had a rough night and I'm either hungover or still drunk!

Anyway, My hard-disk died on me, so I bought a 250gig replacement and installed windows XP on it. But when it was installing, I wasn't really paying attention and managed to create a 32 gig partition and installed XP on that. But the rest of the drive is inaccessable. I thought that maybe I could get it active from Disk Management, but I'm over my head and can't figure it out.

So basically I'm wondering is there anyway of getting the other 218gig back without re-installing XP?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

This may help although I am not sure if it will let you resize the primary partition. I have only used it once or twice to resize logical partitions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Sparks2000

check the jumpers on the back for the hard drive, some have a 32gb setting for running the drive in an older motherboard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Go to Start>Run and type compmgmt.mmc
    Then select disk management

This should show you your hard drive and that its partioned to 32gb. There will be the rest of your unpartioned space also showing so it should be a simple case of right clicking on that and selecting something like 'create partition' or 'format'.
    I would suggest being very careful though and backing everything up first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Sparks2000 wrote:
    check the jumpers on the back for the hard drive, some have a 32gb setting for running the drive in an older motherboard
    And assuming thats fine....
    You said you thought you could get the rest of it back in Disk Management, however you did not say what the problem there is??? In disk manager.. if you only set a 32gb partition then the rest should show up as unpartitioned space... and you just partition it.
    If not then it must be down to jumpers restricting the actual drive size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Yep, it was the damn jumpers. One was white and one was black and I couldn't see the black one in the light :o

Thanks for all the help guys :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement