Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A joint message from the examinations office/admin

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

cast_iron wrote:
    Even proofreading may not prevent printing errors. The actual printing process itself can jumble up some letters/figures which leads to errors on the page.

Fair point, there was a symbol mixed up on our paper that could well have been caused at the time of printing. The lecturer pointed it out, no problem. But one of the announcements was that on one of the MCQs that was going on there was no correct answer to one of the questions an that they should mark one of the wrong ones correct and they would get the marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

I've seen that kind of error before myself. A dimension was left out on a diagram and the lecturer that set the paper was uncontactable till 15 mins before the end of the exam. Another time, the lecturer wasn't contactable at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

It's UCD admin, what do you expect? These are the same people that brought us multiple timetables that contradict each other and compulsory core electives that you can't register for because they're full.

Not to mention a box saying "Student Number" where you in fact mark your seat number but only when it's a Christmas exam, for midterms it's your student number. This is, of course, all clearly explained on the green sheet which they don't circulate to half the people in the hall.

Then there's the MCQ sheets with a box for "unanswered" - no, of course it's not sufficient to simply not answer, you stupid student!

And of course there's the opposite to the OP's situation - one noticeboard serving the entire RDS main hall, resulting in a ruck forming around said noticeboard culminating in it falling over and the exam being delayed by 20 minutes.

I just think it's funny :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Breezer wrote:
    It's UCD admin, what do you expect? These are the same people that brought us multiple timetables that contradict each other and compulsory core electives that you can't register for because they're full.
    They aren't full if you don't wait around.
    Not to mention a box saying "Student Number" where you in fact mark your seat number but only when it's a Christmas exam, for midterms it's your student number. This is, of course, all clearly explained on the green sheet which they don't circulate to half the people in the hall.
    It says seat/examination number.
    Then there's the MCQ sheets with a box for "unanswered" - no, of course it's not sufficient to simply not answer, you stupid student!
    I would imagine that the MCQs are autocorrected by feeding them into a machine. The 'unanswered' box is there so it can read the question as such.
    And of course there's the opposite to the OP's situation - one noticeboard serving the entire RDS main hall, resulting in a ruck forming around said noticeboard culminating in it falling over and the exam being delayed by 20 minutes.
    The fact that there was one notice board was the colleges fault. The resulting 'ruck' was the students' fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭HappyCrackHead

Wow, Breadmonkey

You should apply to the exams office with all your solutions to problems.

And i hear the NSDAP has openings too...

They're all yellow pack in both cases though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

No, Breadmonkey actually makes extremely good points and is right on every point except one....

The fact that there was one notice board was the colleges fault. The resulting 'ruck' was the students' fault.

There are actually about 3 noticeboards serving the entire RDS main hall and to be honest, get there a little early and there'll be no problems.

I'm not saying the college is doing everything right but go find some real problems children.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

go find some real problems children.

Ive spots on meh willey!!!1!![0/n]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

a) that is certainly a real problem

b) god love ya! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Ive spots on meh willey!!!1!![0/n]
    Pick at them. If they ooze green pus then you win a prize!

TheVan wrote:
    No, Breadmonkey actually makes extremely good points and is right on every point except one....

There are actually about 3 noticeboards serving the entire RDS main hall and to be honest, get there a little early and there'll be no problems.

I'm not saying the college is doing everything right but go find some real problems children.
    I think what happened was that there was only one notice board on the very first day of exams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

TheVan wrote:
    Couldn't agree more. Grow up ye whinging kids.

If people were to read this from the outside, I'm not sure if they'd laugh or cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

They aren't full if you don't wait around.
    It's not a question of waiting around, you're automatically signed up for the core modules but a lot of my class received emails a few days later saying they were full, please register for something else. These are the modules they have to sit or they fail their course. Admittedly I said "core electives" the first time which is a contradiction in terms and probably caused some confusion. Even still, with regards the elective modules they abandoned the "first come, first served" principle this year in favour of a random lottery which is just plain stupid.

It says seat/examination number.
    No, you're thinking of the written answer booklet. The MCQ sheet (at least the true/false one we're given) says 'Student Number' but you're expected to put your seat number.

I would imagine that the MCQs are autocorrected by feeding them into a machine. The 'unanswered' box is there so it can read the question as such.
    Surely it could also read a blank and award no mark? The ones they had last year on the 'select the right option A-E' type sheets managed fine. Not that it's really UCD's fault I guess, nor that big a deal, I was just having a laugh at the pointlessness of it.

Perhaps, although logic would dictate that when a large crowd is envisaged you take every precaution to prevent stuff like that happening. That's why they have crowd control systems in place at football matches and the like.

Anyway, it's Christmas so it doesn't matter anymore! :D

Yeah sorry I was thinking of the booklet thingys.

Advertisement