Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WRT54G router...dead?

Options
  • 17-12-2006 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My Linksys WRT54G router appears to have gone to the great router place in the sky. The power LED keeps blinking constantly. I have tried the reset button upon power-on, but no luck.

Is it fecked or wot. Any ideas welcome.

Thank you.

(Luckily I have a spare router :-))

edit: hmmmm....its back working again! strange.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

The reset button wouldn't work on a piece of Linksys kit I had too. The reset on power-up did work for me however after about twenty reboots.

Have you tried unplugging it for a good while -- maybe half an hour or more and trying again? Maybe it really is a dud now. Any electronic-destroying weather in your area lately? Do you use a surge protector?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭donutface

if you google sveasoft and go on their forums theres a guide on how to fix those routers, it basically involves opening the router and shorting pins 15 & 16 onthe intel flash chip and uploading new firmware with tftp

If any of you feel uncomfortable with this, add me at donut (at) donutsoft.net
    on msn, you could post me it and ill fix it and send back (youll have to pay for return postage though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

As donutface alludes to it may very well just be stuck in maintenance mode. A bit like seeing 'ntoskrnl is missing or corrupt' on Win NT/XP. There is no valid boot image. In this mode there is typically a TFTP server running on the board at 192.168.1.1 or something and you need to upload a valid image with a particular name. Unfortunately this info is probably not widely available but if it's a pre-V7 WRT54G there's a lot of info and 3rd part f/w around.

Advertisement