Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Humax DVR - unable to use in Republic of Ireland?

• 17-12-2006 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭

I recently bought an ex-display Humax PVR-9200T on Ebay (first time I ever used Ebay, took a gamble on this basically). Its a Digital video Recorder with 160Gigs hard-drive and Freeview. Now, I know the freeview doesn't work in the South, so I was planning on using the Chorus digital smartcard and basically replace the aging VCR. In Ireland we have a love affair with the VCR - what's a Tivo we say, as we load the same video tapes for the 100th time. That's unless we have SKY + of course..
    When I got delivery of the Humax, there was no remote control (I was afraid of that) but I thought I'd hook it up anyway, and try and use a Universal remote with it. From what I had read it would allow me to do everything SKY + does, except with my existing cheaper Chorus subscription. However I haven't had much luck.
    When hooked up it just keeps on saying it can't find any channels. It doesn't seem to recognise the Chorus smartcard, and without the remote I can't bring up a menu or anything like that. I should point out it was an ex-display model, and originally looks like it came loaded with the likes of Channel 5 etc. on freeview.
    I am thinking of putting it back on Ebay - just posting here to see perchance if anyone else purchased one of these or something similar and got it to work?
    Most of the electrical stores in Ireland are completely useless when asking for remotes etc. and wouldn't know a DVR if it bit them in the arse..:p

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/products/pvr-9200t.asp

It sure seems like a grand machine, but unfortunately for DTT services only, as you've found out. As it's a terrestrial machine, it will not unlock cable channels. The slot is for PayTV on DTT, like TopUp TV on Freeview.

Probably best to place it back on eBay again, unless you know somebody lucky enough to be in an area that can receive the Freeview transmissions who would buy it from you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭The Denouncer

Thanks byte, I sure invested in a top-of-the-range lemon. Lesson learned - never again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Thanks byte, I sure invested in a top-of-the-range lemon. Lesson learned - never again!

Where do you live?

Near Dublin airport, Greenman. Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭vallo

If you're still interested in selling that PVR and the 160GB hard disk is functioning then
    drop me a personal message and maybe we can agree a price for it.

• Advertisement

Sorry vallo, the power seller on Ebay agreed I could return it, as long as I paid the delivery. So I did. Its probably back up there now for £137. :p

Advertisement