Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

recommendations for an affordable minimum fuss wireless access point

• 17-12-2006 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭

set up at present is a desktop pc and a laptop connected to a hub.
    desktop is set up in the room with the dsl modem (esat bt) and the hub,
    and from the hub im running a very long cable up the stairs to the laptop.

so i'm looking for something relitvely affordable (xmas is quickly draining the funds) wireless card for the laptop is not an issue as its built in.
    And also needs to be relitively easy it to set up - not because i dont know what im doing but because i won't be the one using it.

I use one of these http://komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=321911 in my own place and it does a fairly good job, with 2 desktops and 2 laptops connecting back to it. Was a pain to set up initially though.

But was thinking if i got a wireless adsl router i could just connect the desktop to it and cut the hub out of the equation. This could cut down on power supplies and cables going about the place. (like i said i want to make set up as simple as possible). This option is the more expensive one i think though.

All suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Have a read of this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055013272
    Pop into pcworld and pick one up for €25. It's the Netopia 2247NWG modem/router/wireless AP all in one as supplied by Eircom. It will replace your BT modem and Dlink. Just enter your BT username/password and away you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

sold!!!!!!!!!!!! at a quarter of the price i had budget for

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

calex71 wrote:
    sold!!!!!!!!!!!! at a quarter of the price i had budget for

Hi calex71.

Is there the option to connect this modem via USB/Ether to you PC?. I was thinking of buying a router, but I would prefer my PC to be directly connected to the router/modem and just have my Wii running off it wireless.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Stimpyone wrote:
    Hi calex71.

Is there the option to connect this modem via USB/Ether to you PC?. I was thinking of buying a router, but I would prefer my PC to be directly connected to the router/modem and just have my Wii running off it wireless.

Cheers.

Yes ive used it set up exactly as u describe pm me if have problems,
    wii worked out of the box, all i did was enter my wpa key. and my dads pc is connected directed to it via ethernet and i also use a laptop wirelessly from it.

Advertisement