Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cpu upgrade ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

when I checked the specs ... i see three differences
    opty 170 comes with 2Mb L2 cache (no L1 cache), clocks at 2.0 Ghz and has hypertransport

athlon 64 comes with 1 Mb L2 cache and 256Kb L1 cache, clocks at 2.2 Ghz and does not support hypertransport

i'm not sure if hypertransport will impact folding ... i guess L2 cache will (?)

if it was me, i'd go with the opty 170 ...

good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

thnks guys. opty it is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

The 170 opteron was the best socket 939 chip of all but you may need to update the BIOS for dual core.

Done that in advance :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

The only difference would be the Cache & Actual Speed.
    Ie 512kb extra cache = 200mhz - (always been the same with AMD rating).

I would definetly go with the opteron, especially if you are going to overclock (even just a little). These chips are doing fantastic, there ment for server grade which generally means they do a bit better than the X2's.

Just invested in a 165 myself. There on komplett for €170 ...... might save you a couple of quid (overclocking results 165/170 pretty simular).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Get a 165. The 170 is not worth the extra money atm. Everyone i've been talking to has been getting good 165 steppings that can overclock up to and above 2.9Ghz (i.e. the ccbbe06xx steppings) Here is a breakdown of the steppings. The 170's are known to not be that great for overclocking compared to the 165's. What kind of cooling with be going on this? If you are lucky enough to get a 0610 stepping you could get away with the stock cooling, stock volts up to at least 2.8Ghz... but you'd have to be VERY lucky ;)

Also note the Opterons are a little slower than the X2's. (i.e. a 2.2Ghz Opteron will not be as fast as a 2.2Ghz X2... something to do with the relaxed timings on the internal NB that optys have, to make them more stable for workstations... but thats what you'll want anyway for a folding machine?)

ill be using the tuniq tower. and the hr-05 sli for the mobo. and a dominotor fan for the ram. so cooling will be good.

The main reason i went for the 170 over the 165 is that there was a error on scan which made the 170 cheaper, plus before i overclock the stock performance is a bit better. If i can get fx-62 speeds ill be happy, so anything over will be a bonus :D

less cache, and import prices, plus the 170 will do fx 62 speeds :)

• Advertisement

I know what a 170 opti can do the only thing holding it back is the memory.

I was just surprised to see the fx 55 at a give awaw price it was selling at €800 two years ago.

they are even cheaper second hand, Thats if your willing to buy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

So... what stepping did you get with the 170 anyway?

Im still waiting on delivery. I got the lot from overclockers, but scan say they have no stock, and waiting on supplyers.

Advertisement