Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marathon information

• 17-12-2006 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

hey guys,

I really wanted to find out where I would start if I wanted to set up a marathon. I mean who do you contact? who do I need to get permission from? Even if I can do it in the Phoneix Park. ANY kind of information I would really appreciate!

thanks
    d

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

You could try contacting the Clonliffe Harriers (http://www.clonliffeharriers.com/) and asking them..

Or you could contact the Dublin City Marathon crowd and ask them for information. http://www.dublincitymarathon.ie/

K.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Moved from Dublin City

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭damianmckeever

Hi there,

Set up a Triathlon a couple of years back in Greystones. First thing to do would be to contact the council where you are looking to run the event, maybe Fingal County council. Then I'd look at getting one of the running clubs invovled. It is a huge undertaking though to run a marathon and it would require a lot of help from your friends, I don't think it's something you'd make money doing.

In terms of Demand though there may not be enough Demand to run another Marathon in Dublin. Look at Dublin city Marathon itself so many register outside Ireland. The first year I did Dublin there were only 2,000 Irish of the 8,000 registered.

Anyway if you choose to set one up let me know if I can help at all. I also work in a Technical running store so you might even have your first sponsor!

Damian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Novice aged 46

There is a good choice of marathons for 2007 with new marathons in Cork (4 June 2007 www.corkcitymarathon.ie) and Achill (7 July 2007 www.achillmarathon.com) being added to Connemara, Belfast, Longford and Dublin.

Why not talk to the people organising the new races? Achill started in 2006 with a half-marathon and made a good job of it.

I am sure it is a massive undertaking and not to be taken on lightly. I think the fundamental difficulty for any potential marathon is: where do you get a course of 26.2 miles that is safe for participants and spectators? If you can get that, you could build around it. The Phoenix Park might not be as simple as you seem to think either.

Out of interest, can you tell us why you want to set up a new marathon? Have you given up on the kick boxing, the squash and the catering business already? Might be better to do a bit of running first to see what makes runners run!

Advertisement