Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL - is this legal?

Options
  • 17-12-2006 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭

I just had a read of my folks' new NTL bill (I'll be getting one soon) and apparently, from next April, they will slap on €2 extra per bill if you don't sign a DD mandate to pay up.

Surely this is discriminatory against customers who don't have bank accounts? I pay by online banking, but I just object to the principle of them taking the money out of my account at a time of their choosing.

If they were to change it to, say, a €2 discount for paying by DD, then I'd be a bit happier about it, but I think it's extortionate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭MackQ

If enough customers ring them up and tell them that they are going to move to Sky in protest against this charge then they will back-track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

yeah, but since when was ringing ntl to complain about something easy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Are you sure it's not a €2 charge if you don't pay the bill on time? I think there's going to be something about this on The Last Word now on Today FM. Matt Cooper mentioned NTL and direct debits at the end of Tony Fenton's show, so it might be worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

It's just about to start now: 17:23

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

jor el wrote:
    Are you sure it's not a €2 charge if you don't pay the bill on time? I think there's going to be something about this on The Last Word now on Today FM. Matt Cooper mentioned NTL and direct debits at the end of Tony Fenton's show, so it might be worth a listen.

Nope, he is right, its €2 for not paying by DD and its €7 for a late payment. They now expect you to pay 14 days after billing date. I am expecting a bill in the door now and their bills usally print off on the 7th of the month, so I guess I only have 3 days left to pay a bill which I have not received yet and also for a service which I pay for in advance.

What a Joke of a company. The lines were well and truely hotting up on the Joe Duffy show this afternoon about this topic, as was the DeiseAM show on WLRFM this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Just listened to it too, seems that's exactly what they are doing and that it's legal for them to do it. I'm sure nothing will be done about it anyway, NTL seem to have inherited Chorus' wonderful customer service dept judging by what Matt Cooper is saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Chorus offer a €2 "discount" for monthly DDs which may explain the NTL move. DD can also be at a time of your choosing.

is_that_so wrote:
    Chorus offer a €2 "discount" for monthly DDs which may explain the NTL move. DD can also be at a time of your choosing.

If they did something like that, I guess it would be ok - i.e. you knew that they were going to take the money out on the first of every other month. It's when you don't know exactly when they're going to take the cash, and making sure there's enough cash there to cover it.

As a rule, I keep f*ck all cash in my current account as it earns bubkiss interest.

While I will probably get used to it, I still maintain (as did the woman on TodayFM) that discriminates against a section of society that don't have access to bank accounts.

It is, however, the thin end of the wedge; watch for €ircon, Bord Gáis, ESB all jumping on this bandwagon soon enough. Once they see one sector getting away with it, it'll be a case of "me too" :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

NTL & Chorus are now the same company.

Instead of complaining simply switch to SKY - bigger choice of channels & slightly cheaper. Also first class cust service op.

Or go for SKY Free - about €350 installation and no further charges ever after - has all BBCs ITVs & Film 4 and 4Extra along with the usual load of free crap stations. - But enough choice for mist people and no monthly charges ever!! - Any satellite installer can provide it to you.

Yakuza wrote:
    If they did something like that, I guess it would be ok - i.e. you knew that they were going to take the money out on the first of every other month. It's when you don't know exactly when they're going to take the cash, and making sure there's enough cash there to cover it.

Exactly. This was my problem as well with Chorus and I rang them to move the date from the middle of the month. They were fine about it, although my first bill after that was a little higher on account of them moving it forward 12 days. So I had to pay 1.5 months and then the normal rate each month after that. IIRC it comes out within 4 days or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

€2 is a small price to pay to cover the manual administration costs and I think it is fair. I don't understand why people would be bothered by having to go through all the effort and hassle either of paying the bill instead of having it done automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

€2 is a small price to pay to cover the manual administration costs and I think it is fair. I don't understand why people would be bothered by having to go through all the effort and hassle either of paying the bill instead of having it done automatically.

i take it you never tried to cancel an ntl account....

i wasn't on dd, so when they refused to cancel my account I just said , its cancelled now see you in court if you want...

Any admin costs should be covered by the €21.50 they are now charging per month (and they lamely attribute the latest rise to "the rising costs of providing the NTL "service"). For me, there is virtually no effort in paying the bill - click, click, tappety tap, Bob's yer uncle. The money leaves my account, and ends up in theirs, same as if it was DD'd out, but the timing is down to me.

As I said earlier, it won't be much hassle for me, but will for several thousand of their customers (yes, I pulled that figure out of my ass).

@mcaul, I will be exploring my options once my Digital contract runs out in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Ryaller

MackQ wrote:
    If enough customers ring them up and tell them that they are going to move to Sky in protest against this charge then they will back-track.

This made me laugh! I take it you haven't tried ringing NTL for anything lately?
    mcaul wrote:
    Instead of complaining simply switch to SKY - bigger choice of channels & slightly cheaper. Also first class cust service op.

Unfortunately, for those of us living in rented accomodation, Sky isn't an option. Otherwise I would have dumped NTL's sorry ass a long time ago.
    jhegarty wrote:
    i wasn't on dd, so when they refused to cancel my account I just said , its cancelled now see you in court if you want...

I've just done the same thing after being consistently ignored by them for over a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭twanda

I was listening to that Joe Duffy radio show on Monday - an unbelievable amount of people were ringing up to say that it is IMPOSSIBLE to get through to their support department, and when they finally did get through, the customer service agents - although very nice- were totally frustrated and were unable to help with peoples queries. It's apparantly a faceless company and one that apparantly makes itself uber-difficult to reach.

One guy complained that he rang up to cancel his mothers subscription because she had died, and the girl on the phone kept telling him that she needed the 'account-holder' to contact them - he tried telling her that his mother was dead and so obviously she couldn't contact them, but no joy. The NTL service is still running in his mothers house..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭BreadBoard

Well I for one will be leaving NTL as of 2007. Not impressed with this at all. I got the bill today dated the 7th of Dec, "Bill must be paid by 21st of Dec." They're taken the piss.

Going to go to SKY for the telly.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

twanda wrote:
    One guy complained that he rang up to cancel his mothers subscription because she had died, and the girl on the phone kept telling him that she needed the 'account-holder' to contact them - he tried telling her that his mother was dead and so obviously she couldn't contact them, but no joy. The NTL service is still running in his mothers house..

depending on if there's a contract involved he might have to supply a death cert in order to cancel the service, this is normal with some companys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

BreadBoard wrote:
    I got the bill today dated the 7th of Dec, "Bill must be paid by 21st of Dec." They're taken the piss.

I'm in exactly the same position. I will NOT pay the late charge without kicking up a big fuss. Including ODCA, Joe Duffy or anyone else who'll listen or broadcast the problem.

Sounds like a lot of people are getting their bill just in advance of the pay date. A conspiracy theorist might draw conclusions!

Sarsfield wrote:
    I'm in exactly the same position. I will NOT pay the late charge without kicking up a big fuss. Including ODCA, Joe Duffy or anyone else who'll listen or broadcast the problem.

Sounds like a lot of people are getting their bill just in advance of the pay date. A conspiracy theorist might draw conclusions!
    Ahh I'm sick of them...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=52526235#post52526235

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

Sarsfield wrote:

our bill came in this morning and has to be paid by tomorrow!!! like wtf!! then if u pay late its 7e, in the event of disconnection its 50e and they dont give a time frame of when they will be connected.... im trying to convince my mam to change to sky... same price, more channels, better customer service..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

So that's 3 of us who read 'Consumer Issues' within the space of half an hour who got our bills today to be paid tomorrow. What odds that there are many thousands of people in the same boat?

I think I'll give comreg a call tomorrow and see what they have to say about it.

Telephone: + 353 1 8049668 or LoCall 1890 22 9668.
    (Please note: this phone line is attended between 9:30 am and 4:30 pm Monday to Friday.)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Direct debits are a threat to your financial health - you give a company access to your bank account and they can do what they bloody well like. Suppose you disagree with a bill and want to dispute it do you think the company are going to hold off on the direct debit and as many people are pointing out it is incredibly difficult to contact ntl never mind get them to do anything.

And while they are charging customers 7 euros for being late with payment there is no comeback whatsoever when they do not provide a service. Its appalling that the consumer can be treated this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭tintin67

Just received NTL bill dated 7th December today, 21st December, together with notice that late payment charge will apply after 14 days ie. today. The back of the bill states that you should allow 4-5 WORKING days for payment to clear to your account, so it seems to be impossible to avoid the late payment fee even if I pay the minute I get the bill. And as it is the Christmas period, 4-5 WORKING days means payment will probably not be received until January whatever I do. From memory, my bill normally arrives just a day or 2 before the final payment date anyway so will I get hit with a guaranteed late payment fee every couple of months? Spent half an hour hanging on line to NTL before giving up. I'd love to get a legal view on this, but I imagine they haven't got a cat in hell's chance of this charge holding up in court. Nobody who is hit with this fee should pay it and ON NO ACCOUNT sign up to direct debit with NTL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

I got my dad reconnect to NTL after a few years of free viewing, sorted out a DD to be taken every 2 months and though everything would be fine. untill they took out the full years subscription in one go, and sent a invoice about a week later. took two months to get a refund. So i'm not too eager to set up a DD for my account.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

"bigger choice of channels"
    agreed
    slightly cheaper.
    I assume by that you mean for the
    basic stations that NTL also have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

That is a complete farce no way that shower of 'tards are getting dd details,
    so paying via 24 hour banking or via the postoffice is not good enough for them anymore.

dub45 wrote:
    Direct debits are a threat to your financial health - you give a company access to your bank account and they can do what they bloody well like.

"You can cancel a DD and you should tell the company you set it up for that it has been cancelled" - said my bank. So you do have control over it. But judging by posts here NTL leave a lot to be desired.
    I have been on Chorus digital for almost 6 years and have never had any payment problems. Puzzling that one half of the company seems to do things properly or at least in my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭surveys

Misticles wrote:
    our bill came in this morning and has to be paid by tomorrow!!! like wtf!! then if u pay late its 7e, in the event of disconnection its 50e and they dont give a time frame of when they will be connected.... im trying to convince my mam to change to sky... same price, more channels, better customer service..

Not been my experience with Sky. ! A load of *????* Not setting up channels I paid for. Not giving help until I threatened to go elsewhere. Standard email replies with no 'answers' and not replying at all until I had re-sent the same email 3 or 4 times. ! Not paying my friend who introduced me through 'introduce a friend'. Put on hold for 'hours'. ! etc.etc. A total disgrace. !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

is_that_so wrote:
    "You can cancel a DD and you should tell the company you set it up for that it has been cancelled" - said my bank. So you do have control over it. But judging by posts here NTL leave a lot to be desired.
    I have been on Chorus digital for almost 6 years and have never had any payment problems. Puzzling that one half of the company seems to do things properly or at least in my experience.

Being able to cancel a direct debit does not stop companies hitting your account with amounts which may be wrong - then try and get a refund from them. Companies now are tending not to give refunds but to give credit on the next bill which means you may be without the money for a long period. (Ask anyone who had the delights of dealing with Esat/Bt and their abuse of the direct debit system over long periods).

Many companies conveniently ignore the 14 day minimum notice periods before hitting accounts and now they have a new system which reduces the notice period to 7 days. (the notice period is not defined in the direct debit code.)

Companies never warn you in advance of penalty charges if the direct debit is not met. Have you ever seen any of those nice leaflets encouraging people to sign up for direct debits which warn of the penalty charges from both company and bank if the direct debit is not met. It is not unknown either for a company to recreate the direct debit after it has been cancelled. Also there is no central authority to complain to about the abuse of the direct debit system by a company.

Have you ever seen a copy of the direct debit code of practise in any bank branch?

Advertisement