Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Big Stories of 2006

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Withdraw my comment? Certainly not. Federline's upcoming appearance has drawn attention from pretty much everyone in the US media. Even Jay Leno made a joke about it on the Tonight show. Can Matt Hughes claim likewise? Hell no.

Matt hughes does, and will draw more than Kevin Federline, it would be foolish to think otherwise. A Matt Hughes headlined PPV did more buys than Wrestlemania! Under your Federline logic, NYR will have to do more buys than Mania, I think not.

Federline getting mentioned on Jay Leno is no indictation of him having drawing power, it simply means he is white trailer trash, who is easy pickings for talk show hosts to make fun at. Anyone can get mentioned on Leno, Conan, Letterman etc. if its funny material (eg some clown who makes a fool of himself at an American Idol audition) it doesn't correlate to them being a mega star who could appear on a wrestling PPV and draw big money.

At the end of the day, when talking about drawing power, the only factor that should be considered is the PPV buyrate. Looking at that, Matt Hughes has huge drawing power, certainly in respect of Federlines (if he even has any)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Matt hughes does, and will draw more than Kevin Federline, it would be foolish to think otherwise. A Matt Hughes headlined PPV did more buys than Wrestlemania! Under your Federline logic, NYR will have to do more buys than Mania, I think not.

Matt Hughes is a nobody outside UFC. Don't give credit where it's not due.
    Federline getting mentioned on Jay Leno is no indictation of him having drawing power, it simply means he is white trailer trash, who is easy pickings for talk show hosts to make fun at. Anyone can get mentioned on Leno, Conan, Letterman etc. if its funny material (eg some clown who makes a fool of himself at an American Idol audition) it doesn't correlate to them being a mega star who could appear on a wrestling PPV and draw big money.

Anyone can get mentioned eh? When you were last on? LOL. Of course Federline is trailer trash but he's NOTORIOUS trailer trash. Matt Hughes is known only to UFC fanboys.
    At the end of the day, when talking about drawing power, the only factor that should be considered is the PPV buyrate. Looking at that, Matt Hughes has huge drawing power, certainly in respect of Federlines (if he even has any)

I think the ability to draw publicity is significant. Something Federline has no problem with.

On that note, if you type 'Kevin Federline' into Google you get 2,170,000 results. If you do it for Matt Hughes you get 2,110,000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I won't be voting for wrestler of the year. I don't think I've watched enough on a world wide basis or even enough ROH.

But if it was purely a North American vote I'd vote Edge.

But like I said, if someone is drawing better than Edge in Mexico and is having better matches, he should absolutely deserve wrestler of the year . And wrestling in Mexico from what I've read has been really hot this year.

Mistico is not unknown to people who really follow their wrestling.

I think the ability to draw publicity is significant. Something Federline has no problem with.

On that note, if you type 'Kevin Federline' into Google you get 2,170,000 results. If you do it for Matt Hughes you get 2,110,000.

This proves nothing in relation to PPV buys. Alot of those google results that come up for Federline are from goosip sites (on line equivalents for HEat or OK magazine) about him and britney. Those sites and magazines market is teenage girls and women. I don't think thats the target market for UFC or WWE, their target market is males aged 18-34.

You say that drawing publicity is significent, publicity counts for nowt in this industry if it does not = more PPV buys and bigger ratings. Sure Federline could spark publicity in some media progammes but if the people watching these programmes are only interested in hearing what the plonker is actually up to as oppossed to actually tuning into WWE and watching for themsleves then, this publicity is not that useful.

Do I think that Federline will increase the NYR buyrate, yes I do. However, this PPV usually doesn't do good buys and I only see Federline increaing it marginally, because, like I said, the mass appeal Federline has does not lie with wrestling/mma's core market. I think if you put Matt Hughes on WWE programming for a month or 2 he would do very good buy rates for them.

Am I correct in believing that you think Federline is a bigger PPV draw than Matt hughes?

But like I said, if someone is drawing better than Edge in Mexico and is having better matches, he should absolutely deserve wrestler of the year .

Someone who is drawing in Mexico deserves it more than someone who has been a global draw? Huh? I think not. World > Mexico.
    Mistico is not unknown to people who really follow their wrestling.

Oh how patronising of you Vince. I follow wrestling as well as any man.

I "really follow" football too and don't need bo be aware of the goings-on in the Bundesliga to say that.
    This proves nothing in relation to PPV buys. Alot of those google results that come up for Federline are from goosip sites (on line equivalents for HEat or OK magazine) about him and britney. Those sites and magazines market is teenage girls and women. I don't think thats the target market for UFC or WWE, their target market is males aged 18-34.

The WWE though, like any company, would welcome drawing a new audience too. How many of the Matt Hughes results were non-UFC articles? I wager very few.
    You say that drawing publicity is significent, publicity counts for nowt in this industry if it does not = more PPV buys and bigger ratings. Sure Federline could spark publicity in some media progammes but if the people watching these programmes are only interested in hearing what the plonker is actually up to as oppossed to actually tuning into WWE and watching for themsleves then, this publicity is not that useful.

Publicity will always have an effect on ratings, the only question is by what extent. Time will tell how on how Federline does for WWE but the exposure he's brought should ensure results.
    Do I think that Federline will increase the NYR buyrate, yes I do. However, this PPV usually doesn't do good buys and I only see Federline increaing it marginally, because, like I said, the mass appeal Federline has does not lie with wrestling/mma's core market. I think if you put Matt Hughes on WWE programming for a month or 2 he would do very good buy rates for them.

Am I correct in believing that you think Federline is a bigger PPV draw than Matt hughes?

Federline can't be classed as a PPV draw as he's never been on one. I'm not convinced Matt Hughes is a "draw". It's like saying Chris Jericho was a draw in the buyrate for WM18 because he was in the main event. Well actually, the buys were most probably due to wrestling fans intrigued at the thought of Hogan facing The Rock.

In my view UFC isn't as reliant on personalities as wrestling is. This can be seen in their growth even though they are without a figure who truly transcends their sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

If people vote for this unknown as wrestler of the year then they have let their smarkiness take control of their brain cells. Something that would make the late great Brian Pillman sick to his stomach I'm sure!

He's unknown to you, but obviously not to others. CMLL have over 10000 fans at their shows every week. WWE averages just half that. If these people think that Mistico is the best wrestler this year, their opinion is absolutely valid. Pro Wrestling Illustrated has already named him in the top 5 wrestlers of the year

And what do you cite as TNA's growth this year as you said in this thread a few days ago that you felt they had grown...

Their tv deal was the biggest thing I think. They've improved their shows, marketed some already-known wrestlers in a good way and got better ratings

Matt Hughes is a nobody outside UFC. Don't give credit where it's not due.

That's not exactly true, he was widely considered as the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world for most of this year. That's something that interests more people than just the UFC. He's one of the top amateur wrestlers in America, which he'd be with or without UFC

Your original comment was that Federline is a bigger draw than Hughes. Drawing power is based on how many people come to, watch and buy the shows. It is not based on whether or not Jay Leno makes a joke about you on his show. It's not based on what type of person watches the show. It's purely about attracting people, and Matt Hughes has drawn a lot more people than Federline ever will

I'm not convinced Matt Hughes is a "draw". It's like saying Chris Jericho was a draw in the buyrate for WM18 because he was in the main event. Well actually, the buys were most probably due to wrestling fans intrigued at the thought of Hogan facing The Rock.

UFC 63 proved that Hughes is a draw. 700000 buys (more than WM as already stated), and Hughes was pretty much the only guy on the card that anyone cared about. His opponent was changed before the event, so it wasn't seen as Matt vs the best other guy, it was Matt vs a stand-in. I hadn't heard of some other guys on the card, and I wasn't mad about seeing the guys who were. Those same opinions were said by many people, but they wanted to see Matt. Matt drew those 700000 people. There is no argument to say it was someone else who drew those people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I don't really want to debate with you at all ever again mr nice guy. I'm fed up with it.

Fozzy wrote:
    He's unknown to you, but obviously not to others. CMLL have over 10000 fans at their shows every week. WWE averages just half that. If these people think that Mistico is the best wrestler this year, their opinion is absolutely valid. Pro Wrestling Illustrated has already named him in the top 5 wrestlers of the year.

I never said their opinion wasn't valid, I just think it's moronic.
    Fozzy wrote:
    That's not exactly true, he was widely considered as the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world for most of this year. That's something that interests more people than just the UFC.

I doubt that very much. I don't see him being talked about on Leno.
    Fozzy wrote:
    Your original comment was that Federline is a bigger draw than Hughes. Drawing power is based on how many people come to, watch and buy the shows. It is not based on whether or not Jay Leno makes a joke about you on his show. It's not based on what type of person watches the show. It's purely about attracting people, and Matt Hughes has drawn a lot more people than Federline ever will

LOL. That logic has more holes than a WWE storyline. There is no proof that UFC's buys are based upon Matt Hughes' personality. Considering the average American wouldn't know him (unlike Federline) I reiterate that Federline is a bigger deal.
    I don't really want to debate with you at all ever again mr nice guy. I'm fed up with it.

And a Merry Christmas to you too sir!

• Advertisement

LOL. That logic has more holes than a WWE storyline. There is no proof that UFC's buys are based upon Matt Hughes' personality. Considering the average American wouldn't know him (unlike Federline) I reiterate that Federline is a bigger deal.

There is nothing wrong whatsoever with that logic. You can't argue that the likes of Melvin Guillard made anyone want to watch that ppv. Matt Hughes was the star, he's the guy on the card that made 700000 people buy the event

I think I'm going to have to stop now because I don't think I should be defending facts

I doubt that very much. I don't see him being talked about on Leno.

Since when does Jay Leno count as the definitive voice in the world of MMA/Boxing. I am not saying that Hughes is the best pound for pound fighter, I think that is a difficult Q. to answer but, I definitley wouldn't say that such an opinion is wrong becasue he didn't get a shout out from Jay Leno. You keep using football as an example, so does that mean Ronaldinho isn't the best all round footballer because Leno doesn't talk about him!? Yeah, I think not.

You seem to want to deny what is fact. Fact was Hughes was the biggest fighter on that card, a card that was already tainted because of a last minute fighter replacement. There were no other drawing names on that card. Therefore it is pretty naive to dispute that Hughes played a huge part in drawing those buys.

Listen, its only a couple of minutes to Chrstmas, so with it being peace on earth and good will to all men etc. etc. I want to end my rant by making one final point. Mr. Nice Guy, whilst I disagree with your view that TNA was a bigger story than UFC, its your view and as the nature of that subject is subjective, I repect that view. However, I can't say the same for your point on Federline being a bigger draw than Hughes, this is not a subjective issue it is objective and, objectively speaking, the facts show Hughes has massive drawing power right now, BIGGER THAN 'MANIA. Anyway, thats it, so Merry christmas to all that have posted on this thread as I feel it has been an interesting debate.

Having enjoyed much Christmas cheer I haven't the interest in continuing this thread but I agree with Charlie that it's been interesting.

Happy New Year to all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Jay-Jay

ECW is Number 1 why am i not suprised

Advertisement