Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do we need a 'North West Broadcasting Company (NWBC) ?...

Options
  • 17-12-2006 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

Many years ago, I worked for a new Radio station in London called The London Broadcasting Company ' LBC. It was set up as a 24 hour a day news and information station.Solely reliant upon advertising revenue to survive.

It's main competition was the mighty BBC Radio4. However LBC was and still is a phone in and talk only station. With various presenters, who at the time were new to radio, hosting thier own shows Against the odd's.

LBC became and still is a complete success, I believe because of the need for a talk/phone in (no music) platform for the general public to openly discuss live 'on air' topics of concern.

This format has proven the need, as you can now listen to LBC[/B:- in Ireland via digital Sky etc.

The only similar local show that I can think of is The Shaun Doherty Show on Highland Radio which is only on air between 10.00am-1.00pm Monday to Friday.

I believe we need a TALK BASED STATION COVERING ALL OF THE NORTH-WEST . Such as a NWBC.

Would you agree ?...

P. :cool: N.B. I still listen to LBCvia free to air on my cancelled SKY subscription.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It would have to be staffed by women as they are the only ones able to yap yap yap 24 hours a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,297 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Would there really be enough demand and interest (read advertising revenue) to sustain another NW radio station?

methinks not...

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

retalivity wrote:
    Would there really be enough demand and interest (read advertising revenue) to sustain another NW radio station?

methinks not...
    I very much doubt it, particularly a talk station.

Anyone into talk radio will have to make do with Shaun Doherty on Highland, or North West Today on Ocean FM. And indeed there is Newstalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I'd like to see a decent music station broadcasting in the North West, one that didn't have chat on it. Also it would be great if they would play songs that people requested rather then what the DJ wanted to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Perhaps the day will yet come when a group of interested parties will set up a North West internet radio station.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Perhaps the day will yet come when a group of interested parties will set up a North West internet radio station.
    Maybe by the time that happens, access to broadband won't be the problem it is now. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Goodness I agree with you, what a damn good idea .

P. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

A talk radio wouldn't last weeks. There wouldn't be the topics for a start. Imagine policing it for slander etc. Advertisers wouldn't come on board either. What you probably would get up and running would be a community station for a couple of hours a day. It would still encounter the problems outlined but would be viable in some respects.

I gather there are meetings in Letterkenny with a view to setting one up

I gather there are meetings in Letterkenny with a view to setting one up

What meetings ? could you please elaborate.

Can't remember the exact details paddy but they are held regularly in the Orchard. If you rang there they might be able to give you some more info.

• Advertisement

Can't remember the exact details paddy but they are held regularly in the Orchard. If you rang there they might be able to give you some more info.

DM1,

Thanks for that, and Merry Christmas..

Daithi who plays in the Orchard and involved in the Theatre is now posting. I'd say he might have more info.

With regards to a music station, most are now automated and the presenter doesn't always have the personnal choice.

Also copyright etc have a bearing and most of all commercial viability is paramount to any station.

Donegal has a lot of competition namely from the Q Network, Radio 1 and Today FM which all have substantial listnership here

As discussed in another topic a youth license has been awarded and will probably be on air from June, albeit broadcasting from Claregalway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

magnumlady wrote:
    Also it would be great if they would play songs that people requested rather then what the DJ wanted to hear.
    Exactly! The DJs on Ocean FM are so bland and their playlist seems to be set for them by the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 djDaithi

There have been a number of meetings so far and plans are I believe well advanced for setting up Letterkenny Community Radio, along the lines of the very successful Inishowen Community Radio: it'll be a mix of music, chat and community- focused shows. Obviously in this non- commercial station the djs will have more control over their own playlists. I'm not involved but I do know one of the organisers and will ask him for the contact details for anyone interested and post them here, or get him to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 djDaithi

apparently there's a website and will soon be an office but my contact was unable (read: too lazy!) to dig the details out, I will keep harassing him!

Advertisement