Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breathing life into a old pc.

Options
  • 17-12-2006 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭

Right im fed up with my old pcs performance so i have decided to do a little upgrating on it.

I sold my 7900gtx so was stuck with 6600gts in sli. An this just wouldnt cut it anymore. So i ordered the new GeCube 1950pro. I dont need huge performance, but this this is mean tto be good. plus i can run folding at home on it. And i really wanna overtake gline in the boards.ie folding team :p

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-003-GC

While i was at it the 3800+ just wasnt cutting it, even at 3ghz so i bought me a nice new opty 170. I went for this over the 165 as it has a 10X multi, And is meant to hit 2,7ghz on the stock amd cooler.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=337800

I ordered a tuniq too, to replace the coolermaster vortex ( which i found great ) But im gonna be doing some heavy ocing so i need the better cooling.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-000-SB

I also ordered the dominator ram cooling too. As i noticed with the ram at 275+mhz it gets to hot to touch. And its meant ot be silent if leimord is to be believed :p

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-123-CS

Now because im gonna be pushing the board further then i ever have before i needed to change the chipset cooler. I was gonna go for a standard hr-05, but because this card is very wide i thought it best to get the hr-05 sli !

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-033-TR

The cpu is meant to be delivere don the 20th, and the rest on the 19th. So as soon as i get the stuff i will be posting some piccys. Then after xmas it will be on adverts.ie for sale.

Also while im here. I have 2 x pny 6600gts to sell, a amd 3500+ and a socket 939 coolermaster vortex hsf for sale. If you are interested in these please drop me a pm, I will do a good deal on them.

The 3500+ will hit 2.8 easy with no mad volts.

The graphics cards in sli are more then enough for bf2142 with nice aa and af at 1280* and all details on full.

And the hsf cooled the 3500+ to 50c under full load with the fan at 2000rpm ( smat guardian controlled )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

Please let us know how that opteron performs. Im thinking of upgrading from a 3200+ to dual core but not really sure what to go for, plus its hard to find 939 socket stock these days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

www.scan.co.uk has loads of 939 cpus. biggest stock in europe atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Just one point.
    I would not call that system you were upgrading OLD. Prob better then 80% of the computers used on boards.

But nice upgrade all the same. And GL in catching Gline.

That pc is exactally 1 year old, bar the graphics cards. I would consider it old. I prefere to upgrade every 6 months, but the conroe build cost a **** load. One good thing is i can overclock the opty to 2.6 easy, just by upping the vcore to 1.4 and the ram to 2.8 and set the fsb to 260. fx60 speeds on both cores. So 3 instances of folding can be run. I should be able to catch gline in a matter of weeks now :D Especially as the x1950 folds 15 times faster then a quadcore conroe overclocked, due to the massive ammount of pipelines :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Did not know a video card would improve your folding. Also how many computers do you have folding for you ? Just checked your stats and i think it said 6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

what is the max fsb on that DFI? I can't understand why you went for the 170 over the 165? Especially as there seems to be a glut of good 165 steppings in the market atm. What stepping did you get with the 170?

7 atm charlie. but i can raise that to 9 atm, and 13 with the new cpu and graphics card, You are right, normally a graphics card will not increase folding, but now you can actually use the ati 19XX servies cards to fold, And atm they are about 15 times quicker then the fastest conroe ( overclocked ) out there. Due to the massive ammounts of pipelines available. And the graphics ram is used as akind of cache.

@ l31mr0d, Scan ****ed up the order, so it became cheaper, Also it has much higher stock performance as standard. plus the 170 is a greater number thsn 165, so infact it must be better :p

oh also, maximum fsb is 400mhz as far as i know, Furthest i have taken it is 300mhz so far.

Just installed the tuniq and the hr-05 sli. wow. NB is sitting at24C and cpu is at 27C. all idle ofcourse. but still impressive :)

Still waiting on scan ot send he cpu out. But so far so good.

Advertisement